Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial RPG Codex Top 74 PC RPGs of All Time: Boxed Edition

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Honestly, I felt as immersed in Witcher 3 (for example), which I got from GOG as I felt in Arcanum, which I got in a box.

Of course, having a real box is nice, at least if the box looks nice in the shelf. And some extras like maps and whatnot is always welcome.
Those things I see as collector editions, basically. But beyond that I don't see the benefit of boxes.

I never read manuals anyway, and requiring one is a clear game design flaw to me.
Not because I prefer simple rules, I don't! But because I prefer rules to be presented clearly within the game, not outside of it.

The only downside I see to Steam and other similar services is that you are bound to the service. A downside that other sites like GOG or Gamersgate don't have, though.

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm so jelly it's not even funny. Unbelievable collection! :incline:

7d8e07148d455cf7b031f346b99d6ba6f3555b937d29c48954b5b6728770335c.jpg

dark_savant

Novice
Must I see again this Asshole InTheForest that dumps his 20+ years old game boxes in dew, snow and dirt to record his little videos?
He is an asshole for opening shrinkwrapped collectors editions and reducing their value for like 50% just for the purpose of making videos

But despite snow and dirt most of his collection is in better shape than boxes presented in OP photos :)

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Not even mindx2 has the Arcanum cloth map. That's how you can tell it's really rare. :negative:

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Serpent Isle completely dicked it, and took a massive dump on past, previous and future box art. I don't think it wil be ever possible for a game to sport such an epic box art.

This article kinda made me regret having thrown away, some years ago, all my game boxes with the exception of TFX, C&C, Quake3 (the metal one) and a few other chosen ones.

paintinggrey

Scholar
Jesus fucking Christ, most of these boxes are fucking sweeet!!!God..look at those filthy modern boxes

mondblut

Arcane
Cloth maps and manuals and shit are all fine and dandy, but it takes a special kind of autism to miss the fucking floppies. :lol: And I say it as a man who regularly orders cassette releases.

Saber-Scorpion

Learned
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
The beauty of this gallery is only brought down by the inclusion of the abjectly terrible novelizations of the Baldur's Gate series and Planescape Torment, the existence of which should not be acknowledged. (BTW, you forgot to include PsT when you listed the games with tie-in novels at the beginning)

But otherwise, amazing stuff. Always go box.:bro:

FeelTheRads

Arcane
That's my understanding as well but I just want to be sure.

There is.
Well, right now all the googling only reveals people asking if anyone has it and some people who say they do so if I didn't actually see one on ebay years ago (and lost the bid) I'd think this is just an urban myth.

I think I remember even reading a post (interview?) with one of the Troika guys (Tim?) in which it was mentioned.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Also check this:
http://www.eeggs.com/items/33812.html

There is that guy saying in the comments that he also got a newspaper and a t-shirt besides a cloth map. So that makes me think that the cloth map was a promo thing. In that ebay auction I mentioned above it was the game and the big box and the cloth map, but of course that doesn't really mean the cloth map came in the box. That guy could've also gotten it some other way.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom