Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex Top 70 PC RPGs (Now with User Reviews!)

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I wonder what our good neighbours from beyond madness think of the List of Incline.

http://forum.bioware.com/topic/505147-rpg-codex-top-70-pc-rpgs-now-with-user-reviews/

They refer to the Codex as a "bunch of Nostalgia Bros".

Actually... BSN said :"Nostalgia? The codex is two parts nostalgia and one part militant bitterness."

:lol: :salute:
Since when are Biowhores our bros?
I'll show you militant, you little fuckwads!
9f7.gif

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I agree that we are being "unprofessional" by having reviews shit-talking other games, but hey, we never pretended to be professionals anyway.

I just find funny how actual """professionals""" like Adam Sessler can say to Julian Gollop that RPGs where only made turn-based due technological limitations, and everyone is cool with that...

Delterius

Arcane
I agree that we are being "unprofessional" by having reviews shit-talking other games, but hey, we never pretended to be professionals anyway.

I just find funny how actual :D:D:Dprofessionals:D:D:D like Adam Sessler can say to Julian Gollop that RPGs where only made turn-based due technological limitations, and everyone is cool with that...
Improved. Calling them professional in this day and age isn't worth the massive quotes.

My favourite isn't even the people who don't get the list. Rather those who look at it and think 'jolly, there's no Mass Effect 3 here what a bunch of narrowminded elistist'.

A top 10 with PS:T; BG:2; the Fallouts; Morrowind; Gothic; Wizardry; F:NV; VtM:B isn't narrowminded in the slightest. Fuck, no one who considers fucking Arcanum as a notable game has the right to be called narrowminded. Perhaps it is the people who want their favourite game of all time to be recognized as such who are a tad bit narrowminded?

slackerwizrd

Educated
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong
If it were for me, the list would go to 250-300, and feature games that would make you howl in horror. Luckily for you, here I was more limited, but on my next project... :dance:

Just compile a list of CRPGs before some year and rank them. Sure, you'll have a ton of games with no review (and probably abysmally ranked), but the ensuing butthurt will be phenomenal. :smug:

Bioware forums make me shudder, even worse than Bethesda forums imo.

Fanboyism generally does that.

Cassidy

Arcane

Games "journalism" and this "professionalism" biodrones champion is the sewage pipe and bottom of the toilet, below even the worst tabloids, when reviewed under a strict, absolute standard of professionalism and ethics for all forms of journalism.

Delterius

Arcane
More on Adam Sessler

http://www.p4rgaming.com/adam-sessl...g-to-life-if-i-cant-do-video-game-journalism/
Adam Sessler: Is There Really Any Meaning to Life If I Can’t Do Video Game Journalism?
by Jack · October 27, 2013

Revision3 Games producer Adam Sessler is finding himself stuck between a rock and a hard place as his livelihood as a game journalist is allegedly at stake. But an exclusive interview with his wife Amber reveals its more than about money.Sessler’s recent tweets have been very cryptic and divulge nothing about the circumstances behind them. Most revealing was writing that “[he has] to consider new professional avenues, it’s that serious.” Even his wife allegedly tweeted from his account with the following:

This is Amber, Adam’s wife. Thank you, Mr. Big Videogame Corp. for ruining another Saturday chez Sesslers. I don’t get you.

In an exclusive interview with Amber, we got more insight into what he has been talking about for the past two hours.

Play4Real: Thank you for letting us interview you on such short notice.

Amber: Oh no, thank you. I need to get this message out there before this goes out of control.

Play4Real: Can you explain what is going on?

Amber: That tweet I made is a little bit out of context. Yes, a video game corporation did ruin Adam’s day a bit. But that’s just video game stuff. The part where I said “I don’t get you” was meant to be directed at Adam, not the video game company.

Play4Real: Interesting, go on.

Amber: I don’t really know or care about what’s going on about this video game drama, but he keeps saying things like there won’t be any meaning in his life without gaming journalism. That’s a little extreme, I mean, maybe he can get a real job now.

Play4Real: Do you not think his current position at Revision3 is legitimate or what?

Amber: I knew I was marrying a video game man going into this marriage. I didn’t realize it was his entire life. He comes straight home from work about video games to relaxing on the couch playing video games. It’s insane!

Play4Real: What do you expect to come out of this whole situation?

Amber: A man with a renewed sense of purpose in his life. Someone who doesn’t make me write Twitter posts. I mean, he’s legitimately showing more emotion over this whole thing than I’ve ever seen in my life together with him.

Play4Real: Is there anything else you’d like to say?

Amber: Come back to me Adam.

Play4Real: Thank you for your time.

After the interview, Amber accidentally left her Skype session open and we heard something similar to sobbing for five minutes. Adam then asked if she was crying because he might have to quit video game journalism. At that point, the session was disconnected.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The Sess is still a cool guy.

I may dislike most of your opinions but anyone who says they're primarily motivated by nostalgia is illiterate.

Thank you for posting anyway your majesty, it means a lot to us.

Really.
You're welcome.

janishewski

Novice
I'm sorry, but it is very hard to take this list seriously. I played every game on this list with the exception of ADOM, I even worked on Wizardry 8. I understand that many people prefer Morrowind over Skyrim and Oblivion, though I have never understood why as I just did a heavily modded playthrough of Morrowind late last year. Yet, to include games like Risen, Pool of Raidiance, Might and Magic 3, Wizardry 1, and Knights of the Chalice, though they may belong there, while snubbing Oblivion, Skyrim, Fallout 3, and smaller games like Martian Dreams from Origin Systems shows that this is mostly nostalgia speaking. I was born with a 2600 in my hands and got my first rpg, Ultima 3, on PC and never looked back. I am as old school, hardcore, rpg nut as anyone can be, and to omit those takes much credibility away from this list. I'm not saying that any of these games does not belong there, though the order baffled me at times, I'm just saying that snubbing all of Bethesda's work after Morrowind lacks more than a little integrity. I would also bet there are more people on this site that play Skyrim rather than play Might and Magic 3 or the first Wizardry.

janishewski

Novice
The Sess is still a cool guy.

I may dislike most of your opinions but anyone who says they're primarily motivated by nostalgia is illiterate.

Thank you for posting anyway your majesty, it means a lot to us.

Really.
You're welcome.
Then I include myself on the list of the apparently "illiterate" as nobody can tell me with a straight face that the first Wizardry game is a superioir rpg experience to Skyrim. That is remembering our childhoods fondly, not actually deciding which games are the best rpg's of all time. Even by nostalgia's standards it is pretty weak. ADOM and Knights of the Chalice make the list, but not Ultima-Martian Dreams? The top 10 is mostly a gimme, the rest of the list leaves much to be desired.

Delterius

Arcane
Not every single one of Bethesda's hiking simulators need to enter the list. Only the one most people found worthy of their memories -- we need to make space for more kinds of games.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I'm sorry, but it is very hard to take this list seriously. I played every game on this list with the exception of ADOM, I even worked on Wizardry 8. I understand that many people prefer Morrowind over Skyrim and Oblivion, though I have never understood why as I just did a heavily modded playthrough of Morrowind late last year. Yet, to include games like Risen, Pool of Raidiance, Might and Magic 3, Wizardry 1, and Knights of the Chalice, though they may belong there, while snubbing Oblivion, Skyrim, Fallout 3, and smaller games like Martian Dreams from Origin Systems shows that this is mostly nostalgia speaking. I was born with a 2600 in my hands and got my first rpg, Ultima 3, on PC and never looked back. I am as old school, hardcore, rpg nut as anyone can be, and to omit those takes much credibility away from this list. I'm not saying that any of these games does not belong there, though the order baffled me at times, I'm just saying that snubbing all of Bethesda's work after Morrowind lacks more than a little integrity. I would also bet there are more people on this site that play Skyrim rather than play Might and Magic 3 or the first Wizardry.
Wow, hell of a lurker.

Also I looked you up and you were just QA on Wizardry 8. So disappointed.

Oh I missed where you responded to me directly
Then I include myself on the list of the apparently "illiterate" as nobody can tell me with a straight face that the first Wizardry game is a superioir rpg experience to Skyrim.
See, the thing here is that Skyrim has nothing or very little to offer to the kind of person who really likes Wizardry and games like Wizardry unless that person has broad tastes.

Last edited:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Yet, to include games like Risen, Pool of Radiance, Might and Magic 3, Wizardry 1, and Knights of the Chalice, though they may belong there, while snubbing Oblivion, Skyrim, Fallout 3, and smaller games like Martian Dreams from Origin Systems shows that this is mostly nostalgia speaking.
Martian Dreams is from 1991, Skyrim from 2011. How can you blame the omission of both new games AND old games to nostalgia?

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I'm sorry, but it is very hard to take this list seriously. I played every game on this list with the exception of ADOM, I even worked on Wizardry 8.

Then you have to like the list at least a little bit :)

The omission of Skyrim (Falskaar, Vilja), Oblivion (Nehrim), Fallout 3 (Wanderer Edition) and Battlespire has nothing to do with Nostalgia, it's just a little traditional Bethesda hate here on these boards.

It's not that these games are bad, but they could have been easily much better, as my mod-examples in brackets show.

Last edited:

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
We had a limited amount of points to distribute. Even as a fan of Skyrim, there's too many other good RPGs out there that deserved my vote.

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
We had a limited amount of points to distribute. Even as a fan of Skyrim, there's too many other good RPGs out there that deserved my vote.
This. And I'm not even a fan of Skyrim.
They asked us to name our favorite CRPGs so I did. I couldn't waste any of my precious 25 points on sth as ultimately disappointing as Skyrim and voted for stuff I actually managed to play through without falling asleep like Gothic 2, RoA2, Fallout 2, JA2 and BG2 (odd, many of my favorite games are the second ones in their series).
I had fun with games like Skyrim and Mass Effect, even played through the latter, but they are not that rewarding for a game mechanics fag like me. Skyrim (like every TES game including the overhyped Morrowind ... there, I said it) drives me crazy because the game mechanics are not connected to each other and therefore if I really do stuff at my leisure and ignore the story I will shoot me in the foot (because I'll be op very fast and the game gets boring as hell). Or they "solve" the problem with retarded level scaling like in Oblivion and even Skyrim to an extend. What's the point in trying to become more powerful if the dragons scale with you anyway?
Most open world larp games are shit, it's simple as that.

And I don't care about how old a a game might be, as long as it's not too old and not from the early 3D era. Art direction is important so the games developed in the early 3D era are kinda offputting to me and everything newer or a bit older might get a fair treatment depending on content. I would never vote for extremely old and clunky stuff like the first Ultimas, Wasteland and all that barebones graphics stuff. The art has to please my eyes, no matter if 2D or 3D.

A user named cat

I agree with Bro None, you'll never have a list that pleases everyone. Most of the choices are solid though, give or take a few games (fuck off, Witcher). I didn't realize Jagged Alliance 2 and Deus Ex now qualify to make top RPG lists though, in which case they both should've ended up in the top five.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom