Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review RPG Codex Review: Undertale

kangaroodev

Educated
I don't know about you guys but I'm pretty sure I saw humanity and personality in enemies in most rpg games, if they talk, this isn't really something new. Depending on how well a character was written you can assume he leads his own life in the game, and some games only focus on humans talking anyway, not every single thing. Not bashing the game since I didn't play it yet, but I'm just saying.

kangaroodev

Educated
This is likely the most absurd statement in this entire thread.
Do you find it absurd that RPG characters have personalities? I'm sure all the dozens of people/enemies in Gothic, witcher, planescape etc. have nothing different between each other right? It's not like you can interact with them or something, lol, the "most absurd statement". Alright then.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
You said enemies, not characters. Enemies in 99.9% of RPGs are just armies of nameless clones that bumrush you no mater the odds or situation, can't be spoken or interacted in any way besides attacking them, and if you replaced one for a rat, wolf, orc, or any other monster it would behave the exact same way. No humanity or personality there.

Also, if you're using games like PS:T and Gothic as examples, you know very well that you're not talking about "MOST rpg games".

Cadmus

Arcane
So is the game shit or what? I haven't read any of this shit and it looks kinda bad. Plus Jasede has probably masturbated all over every copy of the game there is so I don't know if I should bother.

hivemind

Enemies in 99.9% of RPGs are just armies of nameless clones
true role players make up backstories for the characters they slaughter
if you don't do this you might as well just stop playing RPGs and still to popamole action games

Caim

Arcane
So is the game shit or what? I haven't read any of this shit and it looks kinda bad. Plus Jasede has probably masturbated all over every copy of the game there is so I don't know if I should bother.
It's like a mix between Earthbound and commentary on RPGs and gaming in general. It's not exactly the Spec Ops: The Line of RPGs, it's a bit more silly. Maybe it's a bit too eager to be what it is instead of being a game.

Cadmus

Arcane
Ah good so fuck that shit. The last thing I wanna spend time doing is playing a non-game commentary on better games. That sounds like that piece of shit Stanley Parable.

Caim

Arcane
Ah good so fuck that shit. The last thing I wanna spend time doing is playing a non-game commentary on better games. That sounds like that piece of shit Stanley Parable.
From the sound of it, the elements that you dislike about The Stanley Parable are present in Undertale, but even stronger.

So in that case yes, you might better give it a miss.

kangaroodev

Educated
You said enemies, not characters. Enemies in 99.9% of RPGs are just armies of nameless clones
Well a reason for that is that no every game has talking skeletons and flowers, or monsters, not everything that is your enemy talks, and I'm okay with that because not every game needs to be the same. I can think of a backstory of my own for an enemy if it's cool enough. Don't get me wrong, it's nice if a monster enemy talks to you and has personality but I don't consider it necessary to have in every game, some games work good with mindless monsters that just want to eat you.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I have also been playing it (I think I have almost completed it) and I must say I am scratching my head at all the drama happening here. Undertale is a very good game. It's also a game whose hype does actually do a great disservice because while it is very good, it's also not up there on the list of "best games of all time", which is something you would believe from all the memes and glorification it has.

Still, it is very good. It's linear, but short, but really intense. The writing is VERY good if you love the weirdness and nonsense of the Mother series. The combat mechanics is original, while not flawless, and it makes for some fun gaming moments. It's not in every RPG that the fight scenes made me actually laugh, even in humoristic RPGs.

... And I do not really get the SJW accusations. I really don't. Maybe it's loved by that crowd ? How is that a point ? There is no propaganda about acceptance about genders or anything. THe main character is a blank slate. The other characters are monsters whose genders are absolutely impossible to identify. I really don't see what everyone is fussing about.
There is a saying that says : when you have a hammer in your hand, all problems look like nails. That's certainly true from SJWs. But it is also true for many a codexer who sees an agenda when there is none. It's actually possible to enjoy a fucking video game without thinking about quotas and social justice. Deal with it. And even if there were opinions you disagree with in a fucking video game, novel, or anything, if said opinions make you run away to whine on an internet forum, then you are a complete insecure loser.

almondblight

Arcane
You said enemies, not characters. Enemies in 99.9% of RPGs are just armies of nameless clones that bumrush you no mater the odds or situation, can't be spoken or interacted in any way besides attacking them, and if you replaced one for a rat, wolf, orc, or any other monster it would behave the exact same way. No humanity or personality there.

Eh, "press compliment twice and then forgive once to get past every frog random encounter" isn't really deeper/more interactive than BG's charm spell or "skeleton's are weak against blunt objects, strong against sharp"-type stuff. None of the random encounters I saw in Undertale had "humanity or personality."

And all the people who are saying that you'll like this game if you like Earthbound/Mother sound like the reviewers who said Fallout fans would love Fallout 3/4 .

DarkArcher

Educated
I don't need flashy graphics, but I didn't find this game fun. I'm sure you need to invest X amount of time and then it starts getting interesting, but I don't it.

Zerth

Arbiter
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
In my opinion Undertale It's just a glimpse of how wonderful can be a game focused in characterization and Story and therefore successful nowadays, whether is a rpg tropes deconstruction or not. I bet most People that like Undertale would fall in love with Planetscape Torment. Of course there is a light-year gap between those two. But Undertale, albeit lighter and vastly inferior in writing, offers an experience that would develop a taste for more ambitious story driven rpgs. Furthermore there is some slight concept similarities between your character's determination and Nameless one's struggle in regaining the memories of his former self.

Unlike PST and after ikaruga I can't stand bullet hell anymore so I probably will never play Undertale again, and the flavor text is not compelling enough to ever back for that reason either. But hope will always remember those characters. Also added the entire Ost to my music player list, best thing of Undertale.

Doktor Best

Arcane
... And I do not really get the SJW accusations.

Its because most of the overly vocal SJW opposition is also consisting mainly of dumbfucks. They lose their shit immensly as soon as they see a non heterosexual non male character, not because DA SJWS ARE COMING, but because it shakes their little fragile world of thought so very terribly. They cannot allow for plurality because it unrattles their secret longings kept at bay with so much effort, and those dreams of sucking daddys big fat cock furiously will come back at night and haunt them.

So they see a gay character, and it MUST BE an act of SJW terrorism, there is no other possible conclusion for them. Just like SJWS will assume a narrative is racist/sexist if it depicts a jewish character that happens to be greedy, or a black character that happens to sell crack, or a woman that happens to be weak or manipulative. I dont get why those 2 kinds of people even fight, as their way of thinking has the absolute same limitations. They are both like a monkey looking angrily into a mirror, suspecting another monkey is threatening them because it does not realize its just their own reflection. If you ask me, they all should take eachothers hands, sing a happy song, and walk into a fire to die a slow and painful death. The world would be better for it.

Unwanted

Irenaeus III

Unwanted
Shitposter
If this faggotry shit hadn't been pushed hard by the (((media))) in the last 30 years, you might have a point. No one likes fags, fats, cat ladies, niggers, period. Just cut it out!

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
It's a decent game, but it's also one of those titles/series where you want stay as far away from the fanbase since they are quite literally homosexual goatfuckers.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom