Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review RPG Codex Review: Undertale

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
That's a good way to put it, Vikter.

Codex shouldn't get the wrong idea about me, by the way. I'm as tired of telling you Undertale is okay as I am tired of telling my furfaggot friends that Undertale is certainly not the best game ever made, not by a long shot.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
There's literally no reason for me to replay Fallout 2.0 when I can just play the superior Fallout. Give me something new and creative.

Funny, the same can be said about kotc. There's literally no reason for me to play kotc when I can just play the superior goldbox games. Give me something new and creative.

The sad thing is that you actually wouldn't know half-decent taste if it punched you in the face

Says Jasede. Irony overwhelming.
Come at me bro, let's have a taste off.
First I will have a taste of yours and then you can taste mine.

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
Undertale is to JRPGs what AoD is to late 90s WRPGs. If you don't like the roots why would you care about a game with meta aspects about said roots?

But I am amused by the fact that people who hate SJWs all day have started slowly adopting their tactics. Shouting "Tumblr!" buzzword style is stunningly well constructed criticism.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
That first scene is interesting because it shows it isn't just a "pacifist RPG" like people keep saying, and also shows the bullet-hell mechanic and the way characters are introduced and characterized via/during combat. As far as an opening scene goes, it sure sets the game apart more than "lol, penguins".

So it's a standard tutorial then. I don't see why you'd find it so very impressive to present it in its entirety and say that it was so very impressive and special (I mean come the fuck on, 'wow suddenly the font changes!')

Hard to call the battle system a mini-game when every battle is built over the same concept - which is so important to the game. During combat you must avoid shit - that's consistent. A mini-game would be having you hack into terminals or pick locks in an entirely different manner.

In that case, two questions:

1. Why is 'standard jrpg fair combat' followed by a shmup something very important and thematically consistent with the game? Do you control a jetplane with spiky hair flying ever forward to kill Sephiroth?
2. To ask again, why is "standard fair combat" followed by a standard fair bullet hell something super super unique? Because it looks to me like it's standard fair jrpg combat followed by standard fair bullet hell.

But really, if a boss that's aware he's in a video-game and tries to beat you by forbidding you from re-loading and crashing you to desktop doesn't sound interesting to you, there's really little reason for you to try this game.

Pretty sure stuff like forbidding you from reloading has already been done plenty of times (wasn't Still Life 2's ending like that?). Crashing you to desktop, on the other hand, doesn't sound interesting, it sounds like a nuisance.

You must figure out what "Act" to use with each monster, and usually change the way you play in the SHMUP section as well. Yes, that's interesting.

Check, approach, flirt sounds like something that needs a hell of a lot of figuring out.

Of course there is. You add something you know it's "not ideal" in order to make a point or test the player. Not being able to pause in Dark Souls, for example. (in before rant against Souls fanboys)

Not being able to pause in Dark Souls has the practical application of making the game harder, it's the same as not pausing in Gothic when switching to the inventory. That's a design decision based on a pretty clear premise, and I'd say it can be hardly judged objectively on a flaw/merit scale. Saying that this is an "intentional design flaw" or that it's in some way "not ideal" is idiotic. It's a decision, it could be wise or stupid. Ris3n pausing when you switch to the inventory is also a design decision, but it's a stupid decision. I highly doubt that, again, Piranha Bytes actively decided to intentionally put in flaws into their games.

On the other hand, making sure the game is boring has the practical application of... ???

Again, calling combat a mini-game is just stupid. it's consistently about avoiding shit with your little heart - most of the times as a SMHUP, but sometimes changing it into a platformer, a side-scroller or whatever (sometimes multiple times during the same battle).

So... it's a whole set of minigames? :troll:

True, I like E.Y.E. and think it's a really cool game that messes with your head. But it's one damn "flayed gem", that barely explains its gameplay, leaves you hanging most of the time and can be hard as hell. Of course it's less popular than the quirky 5-hour JRPG with 16-bit retro graphics.

My final question regarding EYE was rhethorical. Of course the hard game that forces you to put some effort into it is less popular than the quirky 5-hour JRPG for people who hate video games in the first place.

Also, after those two walls of text, do you see where I am coming from? You keep throwing out the "ITZ SO UNIQUE" thing all over the place like an IGN journo on steroids, and yet after reading everything you've written about it, I can't still for the life of mine see why this quirky 5-hour JRPG with 16-bit retro graphics is this supposed Truly Unique Most Consistent Game Ever and Obvious GOTY 2015 (tm). Because it crashes you to desktop and has meta-reactivity? Nigga, please. Declaring that something is the x-est ever is a very easy thing to do. Whether that statement has any grounding in reality is a completely different matter.

Last edited:
Unwanted

Irenaeus II

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
I looove this game, seriously :love:

I already finished it 3 times on the perfect path and can't get enough.

It's my GOTY 2015. And 2016. And 2014 because why not. :P

And the soundtrack

:desu:

Brofists Received:
So the most brofisted person on Codex loves this game so much... I think I need to find a place where real grognards gather, Codex seems to just be false advertising...

lol I had much more brofists than her before DU zeroed them after I quoted a joke by Lundb that she had enthralled DU with magical vagina powers. Also, Ulmicati has more brofists than her, 4x more if I'm correct. Yeah, I had more brofists then him before some betting shit happened too.

Unwanted

Irenaeus II

Unwanted
Undertale is lighter than Underrail. Lighter stuff tends to sell more and as such is likely to get more advertising due to higher returns.
Unfortunately I have to agree about lighter stuff. Hardcore games are dying, and it looks like it makes no sense making them when stuff like that sells so much more than AoD, Underrail and other cool games. And most likely, we won't be making hard games anymore, it doesn't pay off.
Damn bro... that sucks.

What's the name of his game again, I need to buy it before they die.

Dark Matter

Prophet
Hating Undertale without playing it: the latest meme.
I'm judging the game based on what its fan are telling me about it. The simple fact is that their conclusion that the game is brilliant does not follow from their own descriptions of the game.

Try to put yourself in the shoes of somebody who hasn't played the game but is skeptical and curious about it, and then try reading the review. Do you seriously believe that the review makes a compelling case for why the game is brilliant? Am I supposed to read about the quirky anime girl plane character, the shmup minigames, the "fantastic meta-play" which consists of frivolous gimmicks, and come to the conclusion that this game really does sound brilliant and that I should give it a try?

Either the game really is as retarded as it sounds and you're all retards for thinking it's brilliant, or the game is actually good and you guys don't know how to communicate it, in which case don't write a review for it and don't be butthurt about people thinking the game sounds stupid as fuck.

Being a big gay tubesteak hahahahahahahahag
The game does sound stupid as fuck on paper and I can't be bothered reading the review, but I bought it when blindingly drunk a few nights ago for some reason and it's actually really good - I'm v surprised and impressed. No point trying to convince anyone though, it's a silly five quid indie game on Steam, really up to you if you want to give it a try or not.

Unwanted

Irenaeus II

Unwanted
I think Undertale looks very lolzy. I'll never actually play it, of course. But I gotta give it credit for looking hilarious.

undertale7-noscale.jpg

Viata

Arcane
Undertale is to JRPGs what AoD is to late 90s WRPGs. If you don't like the roots why would you care about a game with meta aspects about said roots?
What roots? I have played every single jrpg released on nes and snes, yet I can't see "roots" in Undertale. If by roots you mean Earthbound, then yes. But that is far from jrpg roots.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Google Search brings up "LEGENDS OF EISENWALD"

It's a decent game, but the story and dialogues actually ended up being more interesting to me than the combat system.

Maybe aterdux's next game should an 8-bit venture about a manic-depressive troubadour wooing quirky Polish ladies by learning how to play a slightly changed version of the Final Fantasy 7 soundtrack on a hurdy-gurdy.

Dev_Anj

Learned
niche grand strategy games, flight simulators, difficult SHMUPS and challenging action games still sell relatively well. Dark Souls even made it into a blockbuster, and even Bayonetta manages to pull respectable sales figures.

Give me some names then. The original Dark Souls was not a blockbuster, it sold 1-2 million and that was surprising because it had a very low budget and they expected only 20-30 thousand copies according to what I know. Don't know much about Bayonetta so I can't talk much about it, but it always struck me as a brawler with some sex appeal thrown in, and brawlers don't seem that niche to me even today.

almondblight

Arcane
What roots? I have played every single jrpg released on nes and snes, yet I can't see "roots" in Undertale. If by roots you mean Earthbound, then yes. But that is far from jrpg roots.

Is it actually like Earthbound? I thought Earthbound was a pretty well made game. But when I look up Undertale vids on youtube, it just looks kind of stupid (writing, gameplay, graphics, etc.).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom