Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review RPG Codex Review: Shadowrun: Hong Kong

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
This is China. The protagonist is forced to work for the triads, not the yakuzas.

Deidranna.png
ROXOR! YOU EEEEEEDIOT!

Funny thing, though, I remember even stopping for a sec while writing to think 'hey was it really the yakuza?' but then something distracted me and i moved on :M

Xeon

Augur
I liked how they introduced more flavor to the matrix but yea, its kinda boring and man its too much of a hassle in real time.

I wish if the matrix was turn based similar to Spiderweb and Eschalon series kinda way or something, Not sure if it will be easier or harder than normal turn based but since they wanted real time in the matrix, that probably would have been better to simulate real time but in turn base or something.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Excellent review Darth Roxor :salute: Very critical but balanced and fair. Glad you did not go all cynic on this one.

I liked Hong Kong a lot, but apart from the things you mentioned it felt to me it didn't quite have the "Asian" vibe I expected. Maybe it's cyberpunk globalisation thing.

The only thing I disagree with... I actually liked the new matrix. :troll:

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
According to the general audience, HBS improved on the formula with 2014's Shadowrun: Dragonfall, which Codexers even voted the 2nd best 2014 RPG. I guess being able to enjoy Bioware-esque writing without Bioware's anathematized name attached has a certain appeal.

:lol: :salute:

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Besides, its not like the flaws of HK are completely irreversible. Most of them can be fixed just by making the level design compelling again and reaching back for the gameplay solutions that made Dragonfall so ridiculously fun to play in the first place (and fixing the friggin’ broken AI). Here’s hoping the upcoming mini-campaign manages to do that. I’d rather have Shadowrun go out with a bang than with a honk honk.

Decado, is that you? This text is just like a shameless apologetic PoE review. Practically states that the game is a popamole linear biowarian opportunist crash-gab iPhone game that attracts attention on the Codex just because it is isometric, turn-based and cyberpunk, but at the end, all the problems are miraculously forgiven and there is still hope that they will improve in the future. Sure.

I won’t deny that I was hyped for Hong Kong. But even so, I think my expectations were not unrealistic enough to cloud my judgement. All I wanted, basically, was another Dragonfall.

For all your typical edginess, you have a shitty pleb taste.

Disgruntled

Savant
Reading the review reaffirmed my choice not to continue with HK having only completed a single side mission. Stark contrast with Dragonfall which is one of my favorite games in recent years.
Goes to show how little details here and there can make the difference between greatness and mediocrity.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Reading the review reaffirmed my choice not to continue with HK having only completed a single side mission. Stark contrast with Dragonfall which is one of my favorite games in recent years.
Goes to show how little details here and there can make the difference between greatness and mediocrity.

Greatness is overrated.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Good review, Potato-Man. I had high expectations as well. I'm satisfied with HK but have to agree that it didn't deliver on everything promised/expected. Making the game even easier than DMS/DFDC is unforgivable though. I can deal with the Matrix and the big maps are beautiful so I don't mind running around while listening to the great soundtrack - but having very little challenge in combat is just ridiculous. I did not buy a single medikit during the campaign and for the last mission, even after filling out my team inventory with them I had 6 left over. That's fucking nuts and doesn't include the number you can loot during it.

Remove the timed memory game and real-time sneaking from Matrix, give all AI (not just boss AI) ability to attack twice in a turn, increase party size to 6 and double the number of enemies in each encounter - just those changes would make it much better.

Oh well, the writing was great and as someone else already mentioned, it was great how they mentioned multiple times that your actions don't really change anything for the better. World keeps turning around and so on, which is a fantastic kick in the teeth for the Do-Gooder-World-Savers.

Archibald

Arcane
Decado, is that you? This text is just like a shameless apologetic PoE review. Practically states that the game is a popamole linear biowarian opportunist crash-gab iPhone game that attracts attention on the Codex just because it is isometric, turn-based and cyberpunk, but at the end, all the problems are miraculously forgiven and there is still hope that they will improve in the future. Sure.

Perfect example of "setting matters". Shadowrun has... Shadowrun setting while PoE has not-dnd setting. Easy to see how one of them is preferable and manages to uplift entire game due to that.

Ogg

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Also forgot to mention, the plastic face man showdown was really underwhelming. He seemed like such a big deal from the intro but the situation is resolved in 5 minutes (10 if you count getting the inhibitor).
True. The idea of making him just another hireling who just "did the job" and whose loyalty could be quite easily bought was a good thing, but he could have been just a little more of a threat or I'd have preferred if you had to discover more about him before meeting. His help should have been obtain after a thorough wiping of a matrix section or sthing. Not simply selecting a dialogue option.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
They aren't under-developed ones. Each is a full combat scenario.

Besides, you do a run before snatching him to get his timetable, so it's not just 1 run either.

He seemed like such a big deal from the intro but the situation is resolved in 5 minutes (10 if you count getting the inhibitor).
See this is pure hyperbole.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
20 seems a bit long to me. I'm sure you can do it in 10 on easier difficulties.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom