Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Review RPG Codex Review: Grimoire: Heralds of the Winged Exemplar

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Felipepepe's review has been read by Codexians which for the most part already knew Grimoire was out and already knew what was going on from the Steam reviews and the multiple threads here. I'd say its influence on sales has been zero. Also I can't see how a "popamoler" would buy a game after reading that review, I wonder if Cleve has read it at all.

Felipe cried about getting banned on his twitter account. I noticed that after that happened, quite a few negative reviews that talked about it being an unfinished early access title were upboated to the top.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
I fail to see how the opinion of someone who thinks pokeman is a better rpg than actual good rpgs is relevant to anyone? Please make reviewers list their top 5 or 10 favorite games of the last five years so people can tell at a glance if the reviewer has any sort of crossover taste. Just having some hipster game dickhead that happened to play some old games write a review about a real rpg was about as smart as having an rpg hating console game lover like Prime Junta review TToN. Granted that the bulk of your audience here are pokeman loving console game retards who don't even bother playing most of the real rpgs that come out, but you could pretend that this site is a little monocled still.

Please make reviewers list their top 5 or 10 favorite games of the last five years so people can tell at a glance if the reviewer has any sort of crossover taste
Was there even 10 great rpgs releaed in the last five years?

Definitely. But I said games, because the people who review here play mostly console non-rpgs and would list them if they were honest. They are big fans of Bioshock, metal Gear, and Pokeman, etc. If all the reviewers only like non-rpgs and console games it paints a picture of what this site values.

Those games are all better than TToN. Or any of the kickstarter RPGs released in the last few years. Being an "RPG" doesn't automatically make a game great. In fact I would say the RPG genre has the worst good to shit ratio of any genre of games. To the point where people will applaud an rpg for having shitty, busted mechanics simply because a game from 20 years ago also had those same mechanics.

So being a console idiot and not liking rpgs is something you look for in a review and a game site. I don't. Listing the games would help us both.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
Definitely. But I said games, because the people who review here play mostly console non-rpgs and would list them if they were honest. They are big fans of Bioshock, metal Gear, and Pokeman, etc. If all the reviewers only like non-rpgs and console games it paints a picture of what this site values.

If you don't like it here, then leave.

If you don't belong here then leave.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
Please make reviewers list their top 5 or 10 favorite games of the last five years so people can tell at a glance if the reviewer has any sort of crossover taste
Was there even 10 great rpgs releaed in the last five years?

You could just send your review, then. You gotta force the reviews incline yourself.

For people who are rpg aficionados long reviews aren't necessary. We just need simple bullets listing the mechanics and/or a game given as an example to the mechanic. Thinking adults know what we like and don't need other people writing long as nonsense for us to buy or not. For instance, this game could be reviewed as "Like Wiz7." There, that is the only thing necessary to state. If grimoire had no cities or npcs and was just killing and puzzles like Grimrock the review would be "RPG combat and chardgen/dev like Wiz6/7 but with no content." Wiz6 had npc interaction and shops at least, and since as an rpg aficionado I certainly am familiar with all the Wizardries it tells me all I need to know.

People who are hardcore rpg fans don't need or want reviews. We want facts and comparisons and real rpgs. This site is for console idiots and children who like children's games and who need someone telling them what to like so they can keep being stupid hipster idiots following the pact. It is just pure crazy how this site is still considered a hardcore rpg site when it hasn't been since at least 2007. Its a sophomore site with more general gaming content and rpg frauds and posers than other general gaming sites.

Iznaliu

Arbiter

You are clearly the one who doesn't belong here given that you constantly post inflammatory crap and insult the forum's membership.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck

You are clearly the one who doesn't belong here given that you constantly post inflammatory crap and insult the forum's membership.

This may not be a hardcore rpg site but since at least 03 posting inflammatory crap and insulting members has been standard. It just used to be directed at popamole idiots like you.

mogwaimon

Magister

The lack of a hugbox and the willingness of the members here to voice their minds is half the appeal of this place. Without the insults and flames it'll just be another bland forum.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
Cleve, let me share an anecdote. A couple of decades ago I tried to teach English at a Philadelphia high school. I quit after eight week for various unflattering reasons. But when I was there, I learned about "the room." This is the limbo which housed teachers who were too toxic to actually put in a classroom or too burnt out to actually do anything in a classroom. It was easier to store them there than fire them.

Your comments also remind me of The Wire if you've seen it, how rare "good police" were.

Another anecdote: I once worked as a technical editor/writer contractor at Microsoft. There was some social event and I asked some random guy in the group about what he did. His response was that he converted oxygen into carbon dioxide. His non-sardonic reply, I should add.

Every time in the past 25 years I have been told I am in the grip of a powerful delusion, I have met an Australian who is so competent, so good to work with and such a pro that instantly every single apologetic ever offered by his fellow Australians seems totally ridiculous. The contrast makes it obvious instantly they are all some of the greatest liars and lazy thugs the world has ever known. If it is such a complicated subject how come this guy (who is an Australian) makes it all look so easy? This guy is like that thing Cleve was talking about. I'm not too harsh. I am not judgemental. My standards are not too high.

All I am asking is to see more Australians who look like they have the wherewithal to get up and exit to the bathroom when they need to go as opposed to just sitting there and crapping in their own pants they are so lazy. That describes 90% of Australians. The majority of the people here I predict will never amount to anything, ever, no matter what happens in the world. To succeed at anything you need to be able to move, blink and react. If you just sit there with a load bubbling and percolating in your drawers until the entire office reeks I am guessing you are NOT the "next Microsoft." (A phrase Australians like to use)

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
This is what you see when you click on Grimoire rating (I didn't choose any filters). By reading them, looks like the manual and a few balancing patches might change to positive several of them, I honestly hope so. Maybe a few UI tweaks as well. At least it remains on mostly positive!

70YVYv8.png

vgdTFkd.png

Mortmal

Arcane
I also think that it's this belief that has prompted a review now as a finished game rather than a work in progress, and that's the only issue I have with the review. While Cleve is still working on it (and he clearly is) it should have been a first look not a final review, no matter whether the game is available to buy or not.
Why? No other developer had this treatment. No one looked at Mass Effect: Andromeda and went "the game have several bugs and animation issues, so we'll hold our review".

All of this is a Wizardry staple. Running into mobs of casters that murderise you in one turn with spellspam is part of the package. Being just as likely to run into said casters as into giant rats is part of the package as well.

Take Wiz 7 and the "greater wilds"/"brombadian bay" area in the southwest corner of the map - the encounter table for that one includes starter-zone-tier glow moths and vampire rooks, a little tougher glow/luna mothras and zoids, still a bit tougher vampire vultures and bantari, much tougher thraxes, and finally stuff like 5 mobs of 8 turbothraxes that all spit aoe acid or godzylli and rexx that stomp your balls for 400 damage and breathe fireballs.
It's a question of scale. You're mentioning a specific area - I'm talking about the entire world after you leave the super demo area.

From that point on I barely used my Cleric to heal during combat because it was useless - either the monster were so harmless that the damage wasn't deadly and I could just attack OR the monster was so deadly that it killed in one hit, making healing useless - better to attack and be sure I would kill it quickly.

Moreover, unlike Wizardry, these weren't actually powerful monsters we're talking about - many will die with a single melee attack. But they always kill with one hit. Look:

PnBGAfb.jpg

That's Olaf, a Lv 9 giant berserk you can recruit later in the game. He has a huge HP pool, very high stats and was wearing my best armor. But there wasn't even a damage roll - the attack just killed him instantly. Not a critical, not a special skill - that's the basic attack of Trog Warriors. That's the insta-kill crap I'm talking about, that SEVERAL enemies have.

In Wizardry there's a real sense of progression as you level up, you can go back and faceroll all those encounters that gave you trouble earlier on. That's one of the joys of games with no level scalling. But in Grimoire my party 30hs in was dying to flowers just like my party was after 80hs.

Well its kinda like that in many blobbers, in etrian odissey or elminage theres enemies with decapitate , that's instant death too , several enemies instant killing , pretrifying and so on. But yes in grimoire its maybe even more common. Grimoire also have impossible to solve riddles without reading a walkthrough it reminds me of obscure games on the C64...
Yes that was that tough, add to that unbalanced fights and you obtain a game that is certainly not for everyone, its for the most masochistic amongst us, mostly a few hundreds who really liked blobbers.

Mortmal

Arcane
Samhain horror fight seems designed to get you to use cosmic gate I think, considering you get it sometime earlier in the dungeon (argosyre or perhaps elsewhere?) but I digress
Yep. Just think, guys.
1) Your enemy is a cosmic horror.
2) St. George (though being fraud) apparently used Amulet Astrixus that is low-level damaging item (around 15 damage) against astral beings. In reality he used rat diplomacy, of course.
3) You can buy several bottles of Zephyr Cola in Chambers of the Waters - and thus strike first. You need max one bottle for the mercury fish puzzle. (or just catch it by hand if you are quick)
4) You can buy scroll of Cosmic Gate just before encountering Samhain Horror, upstairs.

5. Bard your way out of it...

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
Well its kinda like that in many blobbers, in etrian odissey or elminage theres enemies with decapitate , that's instant death too , several enemies instant killing , pretrifying and so on. But yes in grimoire its maybe even more common. Grimoire also have impossible to solve riddles without reading a walkthrough it reminds me of obscure games on the C64...
Yes that was that tough, add to that unbalanced fights and you obtain a game that is certainly not for everyone, its for the most masochistic amongst us, mostly a few hundreds who really liked blobbers.

Weird.... it's almost like felipepepe has never played a Wizardry game before...

Mortmal

Arcane

Weird.... it's almost like felipepepe has never played a Wizardry game before...
It seems so, also the review is way too early, and quite unfair to Cleve as for once in his life he seems to be genuinely working ,he's updating it still.

You wouldnt see that for an obsidian game, the review will.. wait the commisionned advertising reviews would be polished, re read by the staff , balanced, smoothed to be as neutral positive as possible before the unwashed masses can read them.

Mortmal

Arcane
, its for the most masochistic amongst us
Nah, it for those that enjoy a fucking great game. Wizardry 7 was not for masochist, neither is this game. If someone dislike this game is not because he is not a masochist, it is because he has shit taste. :killit:
No, grimoire is definitively one of those games that sometime kicks you in the nuts, like AOD for ex too..

DeepOcean

Arcane
The intellectual unseriousness of the anti-balancers is proven by the fact that their arguments have no self-limitation. They stretch into infinity. When is a game unbalanced enough?
Pretty simple, acceptable balance:
Multiheaded Dick: Casts the "I WILL RAEP YOUR ANUS, YOU HENTAI WHORE!" spell.
Codexian Hero: Casts " Protection from backside penetration spell."
Multiheaded Dick: Misses Codexian hero butthole causing 0 of damage.

Now this is whining:
Multiheaded Dick: Casts the "I WILL RAEP YOUR ANUS, YOU HENTAI WHORE!" spell.
Codexian Hero: Spam auto attack because he is too lazy to do much else.
Multiheaded Dick: Hits the codexian butthole and critically hit for 10000 bleeding damage.
Codexian Hero: THIS IS UNFAIR, I DIDN'T DESERVE TO HAVE MY BUTT HURT SO BAD! Where is the balance? After 20 years of evolution on RPGs and this still happen? On Witcher 3 and other advanced RPGs like that, this doesn't happen!

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
This is what you see when you click on Grimoire rating (I didn't choose any filters). By reading them, looks like the manual and a few balancing patches might change to positive several of them, I honestly hope so. Maybe a few UI tweaks as well. At least it remains on mostly positive!

70YVYv8.png

vgdTFkd.png

The last review says "buy wizardry instead" This fucking idiot can't even name the similar Wizardry since he probably has never even played any Wizardry that wasn't for the playstation, if that even. Why would anyone who loves Wizardry 7 not buy this game? Out of spite? It makes no sense. This is literally the only game I've played that is like Wizardry 7. Even if it was bad I'd still buy and play it just to have something new to play. It seems to me as smart of a review of ME 3 that says "play ME2 instead" If I liked ME2 and ME3 is just like it but a little different with all new brand spanking content, why would I want to not play it? How did more than half the people find his review helpful? Should people like this really be allowed to use the Earth's resources? I know it sounds harsh but wouldn't a little eugenics do wonders in stopping such rampant and wide spread stupid?

People, especially people under 35, on the internet related to any game subject are just fucking so dumb it hurts. It literally hurts me with a headache. Communication on the internet went to shit when the millennials started communicating on mainly adult oriented subject sites like rpgs, etc. If I were the emperor of the world anyone below 35 and 120 IQ would not be allowed to communicate on the internet so it wouldn't be ruined for non-retards and adults. And then I would have anyone who is below an IQ of 120 that isn't funny or very athletic purged to finally get the world on the right page. This hippy-dippy free breeding in liberal societies that create overblown self-important stupids by the droves has to stop. They just keep talking and supporting one another and cannot see reason or common sense.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015

70YVYv8.png

vgdTFkd.png

The last review says "buy wizardry instead" This fucking idiot can't even name the similar Wizardry since he probably has never even played any Wizardry that wasn't for the playstation, if that even. Why would anyone who loves Wizardry 7 not buy this game? Out of spite? It makes no sense. This is literally the only game I've played that is like Wizardry 7. Even if it was bad I'd still buy and play it just to have something new to play. It seems to me as smart of a review of ME 3 that says "play ME2 instead" If I liked ME2 and ME3 is just like it but a little different with all new brand spanking content, why would I want to not play it? How did more than half the people find his review helpful? Should people like this really be allowed to use the Earth's resources? I know it sounds harsh but wouldn't a little eugenics do wonders in stopping such rampant and wide spread stupid?

People, especially people under 35, on the internet related to any game subject are just fucking so dumb it hurts. It literally hurts me with a headache. Communication on the internet went to shit when the millennials started communicating on mainly adult oriented subject sites like rpgs, etc. If I were the emperor of the world anyone below 35 and 120 IQ would not be allowed to communicate on the internet so it wouldn't be ruined for non-retards and adults. And then I would have anyone who is below an IQ of 120 that isn't funny or very athletic purged to finally get the world on the right page. This hippy-dippy free breeding in liberal societies that create overblown self-important stupids by the droves has to stop. They just keep talking and supporting one another and cannot see reason or common sense.

That's a whole long paragraph for an insignificant review.
People on the Internet are so easily butthurt these days it hurts my head.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck

70YVYv8.png

vgdTFkd.png

That's a whole long paragraph for an insignificant review.
People on the Internet are so easily butthurt these days it hurts my head.

You hurt my butt.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
We just need simple bullets listing ... For instance, this game could be reviewed as "Like Wiz7."
The last review says "buy wizardry instead"

I was sure this was your review.

I honestly don't see the confusion. Can you please explain what is confusing you about those statements? You seem to think there is some sort of crossover when there isn't. One describes a game, one gives asinine and retarded advice. But, seeing as you are more than half the people finding that review useful, please explain how it is useful and to whom?

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
We just need simple bullets listing ... For instance, this game could be reviewed as "Like Wiz7."
The last review says "buy wizardry instead"

I was sure this was your review.

I honestly don't see the confusion. Can you please explain what is confusing you about those statements? You seem to think there is some sort of crossover when there isn't. One describes a game, one gives asinine and retarded advice. But, seeing as you are more than half the people finding that review useful, please explain how it is useful and to whom?

First you claim reviews should be a one liner then you call the only person that does that a fucking idiot. What does that tell you about yourself?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom