Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review RPG Codex Review: Darth Roxor on Disappointment, thy name is Pillars of Eternity

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Sure, except this place could have applied the same reasoning to that shitty tree who grew a few month ago. Instead of venerating it like a sacred tree because the flattering salesman sold them the seeds.

I don't disagree but that doesn't apply to me :lol:
I have no devout Fanboy love for wasteland 2.. I consider PoE a more polished product and both of them piss me off for different reasons even though I beat them both.

Seari

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Well it's a little too dark, the minimap that is.

I think they fixed that in latest patch.

Unwanted
Douchebag! Shitposter
I don't disagree but that doesn't apply to me :lol:
I have no devout Fanboy love for wasteland 2.. I consider PoE a more polished product and both of them piss me off for different reasons even though I beat them both.

That's how it works for me but the morons overseeing the site have an agenda.

Reject_666_6

Arcane
Yes. I see zero problems with it.

Precisely, because it's too dark.

Let me raise the gamma for you a bit:
K9Bz8eI.png

Seari

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Now we can only hope that Obsidian’s next game will have the story of Mask of the Betrayer and the gameplay of Storm of Zehir, which I might say could be the recipe for a monumental cRPG.
:prosper:

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
If this review is mostly correct on its details, then Drakensang: The River of Time is definitively better than Pillars of Eternity just like it is definitively better than Dragon Age.

Why has nobody mentioned this game? I found it by happenstance and although it's not like my favorite game of all time.. I really enjoyed Drakensang For What It Was

I just mentioned it up thread (I pointed out that POE has the best RTWP system since TROT. TROT probably has better combat system and stat system, but POE is definitely better in everything else....writing, graphics, etc, etc)....not that it matters in what will probably become a 8,000,000 page thread.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
All this 'review' proves is that there will always be a contingent at the Codex who will hate anything Obsidian make. It must be really fucking depressing, not being able to enjoy video games.

Darth Roxor wrote a glowing review of Storm of Zehir. http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=184

You know what? Fuck all of you I love SoZ.. It really gave me the last true feeling of exploration in Forgotten Realms before the whole thing went to shit (4E)

If this review is mostly correct on its details, then Drakensang: The River of Time is definitively better than Pillars of Eternity just like it is definitively better than Dragon Age.

Why has nobody mentioned this game? I found it by happenstance and although it's not like my favorite game of all time.. I really enjoyed Drakensang For What It Was

I just mentioned it up thread (I pointed out that it has a better RTWP system than POE)....not that it matters in what will probably become a 8,000,000 page thread.

Sorry, I missed it.. But I never see the game mentioned. No Let's Plays, No Polls, Not RPG CODEX GOTY..

The game is pretty fucking good especially in character creation and I've never seen it mentioned before now.

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
The game is pretty fucking good especially in character creation and I've never seen it mentioned before now.

A new thread about it pops up in General RPG discussion every six months or so, but they usually get buried pretty quickly.

Search if you want to read what some have said.....it's usually regarded fairly highly round these parts.

Lhynn

Arcane
Brother None and a couple other codexers like The river of time a lot, i never found it particularly interesting beyond character creation, but not its not a bad game.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Brother None and a couple other codexers like The river of time a lot, i never found it particularly interesting beyond character creation, but not its not a bad game.

It takes a little to get into.. The dialogue is well.. leaves a lot to be desired and it's hard to care about the characters.. but the game as a game is enjoyable for me.. I have played through it multiple times.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
It's good you mentioned colour palette because I often find myself thinking about colour palettes of RPGs and more reviews should mention the colour palette, which is a purchase requirement for me.

Apexeon

Arcane
Full creative control and this is what we got.
Sigh.

Awesome review that nails it.

Art is top notch (what I backed for :) )
Gameplay is a let down.

Last edited:

jewboy

Arbiter
I tried so hard to give this game a chance. Tried to like the boring combat. I did the same for Dragon Age. Before Dragon Age I even considered myself a Bioware fan. So before I just uninstall this game does anyone have any suggestions how to get some fun out of it first? I was thinking of going with 6 Ciphers armed with arbalests. What would be the cheesiest equivalent of 6 Sorcerers or Ranger-Clerics or Kensai-Mages in BG2? I don't think this game is quite as bad as DA:O in terms of trash mobs though. At least there is more than one kind of foe in PoE. But ultimately a game without well thought out encounter design and without an interesting selection of foes is going to get boring pretty fast.

Roxor basically went Roguey on PoE -- most of his points are valid, but he also exaggerates a lot, doesn't hide the pleasure he takes in being contrarian, and finishes with a statement that is guaranteed to get a rise out of people even thought it's in fact a matter of personal preference that you can't really argue against. This has been his general tone for quite some time now, the somewhat obvious downside being that a lot of people are not going to pay attention to what he says at all and simply dismiss him as a troll. Which is a pity, because his criticism is ultimately more constructive than that of any of the 9/10 reviews I've seen.

Despite having many of the same complaints as Roxor (and quite a few he didn't even mention), my impression was "this isn't too bad, but could be so much better if..." rather than "this is pretty horrible, I'd rather be playing Descent to Undermountain". The lack of more interesting combat encounters was what I thought really hurt the game the most (and it's hard to defend, too -- if you know your combat system is not exactly fine-tuned yet, tends to encourage stereotypical strategy, and the AI is pretty weak, I'm not sure what exactly is supposed to be your excuse for not trying to include at least a dozen or so special encounters that mix things up a bit). The half-baked and/or superfluous features (crafting, enchanting, text adventures, stronghold, major quests that lack just a little more branching and/or logical options to be actually good) were not too pleasant, either, but at least a lot easier to ignore or pass over. If they can improve on PoE with the expansion like HBS improved on Shadowrun Returns with Dragonfall, I'd say it's pretty much all good.

Unwanted

Hatred

Unwanted
I can see why the person who wrote the RPGWatch review liked the writing in PoE. His writing style is a lot like PoE's writing style. Overly wordy but not really saying much. In desperate need of editing.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
I can't take negative reviews seriously because it doesn't mimic my positive impression of the game.
I have the same complaints as the reviewers did but your review is still bad because you allow the criticism to overwhelm all positive aspect of the game that I like.
Where is the official review that concurs with my view of the game?
Why is this review on front page? Don't we have standards to keep in regards to games made by certain developers?
I prefer a non-confrontational tone of review posted elsewhere than this, but I hang around here not because I like it, but it's my duty to bitch and whine about their confrontational nature in hopes that one day they may change. I may get abused, but sticks and stones may break my bones but words only hurt my butt.
Some things are meant to be interpreted subjectively rather than objectively. Especially when it comes to appreciating some things I really like. That said, I am objectively liking this game despite its flaws because reasons.
I feel that I understand your way of thinking, and I really think your way of thinking is flawed, hence you are therefore wrong and I am right.
If only the popular posters at RPGCodex can see how edgy and dangerous you've become.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I can see why the person who wrote the RPGWatch review liked the writing in PoE. His writing style is a lot like PoE's writing style. Overly wordy but not really saying much. In desperate need of editing.
Ahahahaha, RPW watch review is like PoE, overyl wordy? AHAHAHAHAHA And what is the Darth Roxor Review?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom