Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review RPG Codex Review: Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear

Delterius

Arcane
The review is too forgiving. It doesn't change my opinion that playing a game with the "writing" and linearity of SoD is an insult to the player's intelligence.
The linearity is described as it is. The same applies to the more cringeworthy moments of the writing. If the words 'as claustrophobic as throne of bhaal' and 'jar jar binks' are not enough to dissuade you, then my own opinion of the overall mediocrity of Baldur's Gate's storytelling prevents me from doing much more to save you.

Mustawd

The review is too forgiving. It doesn't change my opinion that playing a game with the "writing" and linearity of SoD is an insult to the player's intelligence.
The linearity is described as it is. The same applies to the more cringeworthy moments of the writing. If the words 'as claustrophobic as throne of bhaal' and 'jar jar binks' are not enough to dissuade you, then my own opinion of the overall mediocrity of Baldur's Gate's storytelling prevents me from doing much more to save you.

No worries. You wrote a pretty good review. People are just disappointed that the butthurt and drama have calmed down. But it's hardly your fault if the mob wanted a PoE-level review for SoD. I personally would have found it more entertaining myself :D

Really, Beamdog made a good decision in addressing the controversy the way they did. Kind of took the oxygen out of the whole issue. That being said, I have a feeling that it was too little too late. This shit needed to do really well to make up the costs. I think there's a good chance Beamdog folds in the next few months if sales don't start to pick up. Their main saving grace right now is that their EE's are selling pretty well.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Beamdog seem to have gone on a high profile hiring binge recently. They may be a bit dumb but I'm not sure they're dumb enough to do that entirely on the basis of projected profits from the expansion to a 17 year old game. They might have more money than we think.

Mustawd

They might have more money than we think.

You're giving s lot of credit to an industry that has a long history of being unable to properly budget their projects. Also, if you listen to the interview I linked to a few posts back, you really get a sense of how much all the voice acting cost them. It gave me the impression that they're not necessarily flush with cash.

But you have a point I suppose. They might be doing well enough with their EE's, so that it doesn't hurt them extremely much if SoD tanks. Then again, there was no indication that n-Space was in trouble when they started development of the RoD expansion to SCL.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

EDIT: also, I forgot that in the interview they mentioned that the tablet EE games were very successful.

Last edited by a moderator:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
They might have more money than we think.

You're giving s lot of credit to an industry that has a long history of being unable to properly budget their projects. Also, if you listen to the interview I linked to a few posts back, you really get a sense of how much all the voice acting cost them. It gave me the impression that they're not necessarily flush with cash.

But you have a point I suppose. They might be doing well enough with their EE's, so that it doesn't hurt them extremely much if SoD tanks. Then again, there was no indication that n-Space was in trouble when they started development of the RoD expansion to SCL.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Well, if all else fails, there's always Kickstarter. :P

Turjan

Arcane
That review is pretty nice overall. The start has a few rather strained jokes, but the rest reads well. Some of the details are a bit vague. For example, when you talk about changes to the old characters: You mention that you agree with many people who complain about how Jaheira acts in SoD, but I guess you would have to go for a hunt somewhere else to find out what it is you agree to. The review seems to assume familiarity with both old BG titles and the current internet debate. Overall, it gives a good impression though.

I may get this someday when it's on sale.

Mustawd

Just realized I got confused on the threads and thought I had already posted this interview. Here's the most recent Beamdog interview. Some of the things Trent says are eyebrow-raising, but I think overall they seem pretty reasonable IE devs.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Delterius said:
Don't you just hate when people keep teleporting everywhere?

codex_10.jpg
Don't even fucking get me started on that shit.

----

Good review, Delterius. :salute:
Thanks, you have given Codex something to do for later.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Because playing the same fucking game over and over again sucks.
So what, new games are better than old games, because they are newer?
I didn't say that, did I?

I'd happily play more AoD even in the same engine as long as I have the same combat and the same reactivity. I don't think it would suck.
I daresay it would get old after the second game and you'd want a different setting, different systems (of the same quality), different mechanics (with the same reactivity). Why do you think we aren't working on AoD2? We want to give the player something different with each and every game, not feed him the same fucking thing. Our third 'full-scale' RPG will be as different from AoD and the CSG as the CSG is different from AoD.

Playing more D&D adventures in the same Infinity engine would be fine too, as long as they are well designed.
You'd know exactly what to expect long before a new game is released: classes, builds, spells, weapons, enemies, etc. The character system would have nothing new to offer, no joy of discovery, of figuring out how something works, no experimenting with builds, etc. Sure, it can still work if the writing is top notch but such things are very and exceedingly rare.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Why do you think we aren't working on AoD2?
I don't know, I would ask you the same, also rhetorically. :(
I didn't say that, did I?
No, I exaggerated on purpose. I don't imagine you would really mean that, but that's one interpretation of that sentence.
You'd know exactly what to expect long before a new game is released: classes, builds, spells, weapons, enemies, etc. The character system would have nothing new to offer, no joy of discovery, of figuring out how something works, no experimenting with builds, etc. Sure, it can still work if the writing is top notch but such things are very and exceed
I don't think I'd mind. Iterating on the same technology and releasing different games using the same technology has been happening both in RPGs and in other genres (FPS, "Adventure" games/Quests), and some of the best games in those genres have actually been made exactly with reused tech. I won't list non-rpg examples because I don't want to devolve this into an argument was game B better than game A.

Regarding RPGs - I guess you wouldn't say Divinity:OSII using an updated D:OS tech is a mistake? Or FO2 using the same engine as FO produced a worse RPG?

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
To be honest playing "more or less the same game" is fine. In spite of my critic of AoD I would absolutely buy and play AoD2. The problem is if you try to milk it and release it like very year or so. Just release those game after some sensible time period, like 2 - 3 years, and try to improve the whole package a bit. IE games are nearly 15 - 20 years old and I would definitely buy a new game on it. Just take the setting somewhere not FR, give interesting encounter, etc2 and it would be an enjoyable experience.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Even something like Dark Souls suffer from "more of the same"... From Software played it well by announcing DS3 would be the last DS game - that way people go into it as a closure to the series (full of fan-service too).

Otherwise, you can bet there would be a lot of talk of "DS3 is more of the same", "no innovation", "you've done this before", etc... because it is true.

Mortmal

Arcane
The review probably took some effort for which Delterius is thanked, but it isnt the hard hitting brutal Codex roast this game deserves. It is a mellow flower power mainstream piece of writing, maybe an attempt to get into the game journo bizz for reals?

Where is the bleeding edginess, the deserved bloody butchering of the writing, the holy codex crusade against the sjw retards who deemed the originals (and their customers) sexist? Beamdog may aswell copy paste some text and use it in their marketing, or put blurbs of it on their Collectors Edition box.
Its probably the purpose, not too much criticism , i remember many users complaining about bugs and broken quests too at release, no mention of that here. Thats why we get that review so much faster than any other games, to be sure to have the quote on collector box.

Ah if only they had some twitter contact at bethesda and agreements, the fallout 4 review would be a love letter too.

ArchAngel

Arcane

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom