Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Review RPG Codex Retrospective Review: Gorasul: The Legacy of the Dragon

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Tags: Gorasul: The Legacy of the Dragon; Silver Style

It seems that no matter what you do, you can't escape Baldur's Gate clones past, present or future. If it's not another creatively bankrupt studio announcing one, then some guy submits a review of it. Finally, when you're spared either, out comes community member lukaszek with his arm shoulder-deep in the bargain bin to fish out another clone from 20 years ago to present you his retrospective on Gorasul: The Legacy of the Dragon.

Lukaszek discusses many things about the game, including the finer points of the Polish voice acting and sneak archery, so you can be sure that you'll learn everything there is about it. Have a snippet for your convenience:

Exploration is a mix of BG1 and BG2. Clearly the devs couldn’t decide which one they liked more. Locations will appear on your map based on your interactions with NPCs. Sometimes however it will be a wilderness location and you’ll first have to enter that one and leave via a proper exit. A few times, locations will disappear as devs are goading you to do x/y/z first. As you travel, you might run into a standard ambush – a wilderness area with trees that is recycled on each encounter. Technically you can easily farm XP in them as the enemies there can be quite high level. However, your weapon will wear down quickly and you also won’t find any good loot there. As such it’s only something that mage characters can do freely.

[...] As an aside, there are a few important features that can be found only if you carefully scroll through all the hotkeys. One is auto running, another is quick save – which is mapped under ctrl+s so you can feel like you’re at work – the proper German experience. It also overwrites your active save, which is a curious implementation.

While Gorasul is focused on combat, it’s not an encounter-driven game. There is a strong narrative and plenty of dialog involved. It’s all quite a pleasurable read even though it doesn’t offer much in terms of C&C. Not of a book/masterpiece variety, more like a short, high fantasy story that you read before you hit the bed.

In fact, you might get into trouble with a munchkin/murderhobo mindset.​

The review was extremely helpful in persuading me to never play this thing, so I highly recommend diving right in! Read the full article: Retrospective Review: Gorasul: The Legacy of the Dragon

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Thank you for the review! I played it when shortly after release (or at least, after it was distributed in France). I don't remember anything about the game, except that it felt like a janky BG wannabee. I don't think any other RPG left me with so little impressions, good or bad.?

m_s0

Arcane
Anyone managed to get the cinematics working under Wine? I fiddled with codecs a bunch and ultimately gave up.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
I still have tempation to solo mage this game some day...
iirc have some nice spells available
also nice music

yet to read it but wonder how the puzzles differ between difficulty and languages...

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
The review was extremely helpful in persuading me to never play this thing, so I highly recommend diving right in!
I write those reviews to dariusz like a love letters, yet he never plays them :negative:
Hey, I value your reviews greatly because I also value my time not being spent on bad games
RetardedDancingDonut.gif

Gandalf

Arbiter
I played this last year and it filled me with joy. Need to play it more in my spare time.

Arthandas

Prophet

Beans00

Augur

The highlight of gorasul was 7-8 years later, I had a german friend I knew through runescape and I convinced him the music in the gorasul intro was a dialect of ancient german from the dark ages.

The game itself was garbage, also technically it's also a diablo clone since IIRC there was an option to chose 'quest version' or 'action version' when you started a new game. I broke one of the gorasul cd's popping my dvd drive open with a pocket knife when it wouldnt open(I was like 12 or 13 lol).

Should do metalheart or sniper path of vengeance for ultimate russian and polish garbage respectively. If this german game is the worst baldurs gate clone should do the worst fallout and deus ex clone.

Also the world map music was better then the game by far

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I convinced him the music in the gorasul intro was a dialect of ancient german from the dark ages.

Actually it's Old French from the early middle ages :hmmm:

The game uses music from the band Corvus Corax, which plays moderny renditions of period music.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom