Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial RPG Codex Report: The Vision Behind Might & Magic X Legacy

Lancehead

Liturgist
Here's a better example on using the screen real estate. RPGs can put the whole party management into this effortlessly.

279367d1350667565-best-players-football-manager-2013-3edf54564051cd7411200b7245fd4d3a.png

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Ok then, have this:

nwn2veedlevk5.jpg

I used risen inventory because it would at least help the case of icons a bit.

This player hasn't done a very good job sorting his items, but since he's the one that put them there, I assume he knows where everything is.

Lists don't give you a choice.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Decline of Risen's character and inventory screen especially killed me. Death to tabs.

tMSDTyk.jpg

Into this?

sHgQkjJ.jpg

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
And yeah, you can create some kind of unprecedented system that lets you create sublists, as Lancehead suggested, but I'd rather discuss list-based inventories as they exist in real life.
In that case let's just stop here. Like I said many times before, of course lists suck when you are going to draw examples from old [as in: actually made] games

Sounds like the Sawyer-excuse. "ALL RPG SYSTEMS SUCK COMPARED TO THIS FICTIONAL CONCEPT I HAVE IN MY HEAD". Switch 'RPG SYSTEMS' with 'inventory systems' for maximum profit.

You listing bad grid inventories doesn't make your point stronger, since there are plenty of good ones as well. But no good list inventories. It's either Fallout-style icon-lists with scrolling and bad sorting or modern console-bullshit like The Witcher 2's inventory. Funny, that.

Last edited:

imweasel

More like the developer doesn't give you a choice.

Actually, only a grid based inventory gives you freedom of choice, a list based inventory does not. You can group and sort your items how you like and are not stuck to a few predefinded settings that the developer must dictate, because of the technical shortcomings of a list based inventory.

A shitty list based inventory can not possibly include pre-defined tabs for every possible variable, which includes the endless amounts of possible personal preferences. If you like to be stuck with a few predefined settings that the developer has dictated - fine. I, and aparently many others, prefer to have the freedom of choice which only a grid based inventory can provide. And it is extremely well laid out too, you can see numerous items at once.

Lists are for faggots and communists.

How do you manage your bags when travelling? You write a list and scroll through it before opening the bag?

:lol:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The best thing I can say about list inventories is that in games with entire categories of "trash items" (crafting ingredients, stuff like that), a list inventory does a good job of "filing them away" without the player needing to manually place each one.

The original Witcher 1 had a problem with this, which they fixed in the EE with its separate alchemy ingredient inventory space.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
I loved the simple horizontal list inventory of lands of lore 1.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
damnit, now it's too late to post "when I think great inventories I think Fallout and Lands of Lore"

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I don't know how often we discussed this already but it's very Codex to discuss it /again/.
And the best inventory goes to Arcanum: massive grid, sortable, weight limit, considers item size. The only other contenders that come to mind right now are Diablo, RoA and BG.

Oh. Neverwinter Nights has an excellent inventory. There's multiple tabs so you can make categories, it has size, weight and a grid. The only drawback is the lack of a sort button.

Arkeus

Arcane
I don't know how often we discussed this already but it's very Codex to discuss it /again/.
And the best inventory goes to Arcanum: massive grid, sortable, weight limit, considers item size. The only other contenders that come to mind right now are Diablo, RoA and BG.
Arcanum is also cluncky as fuck due to bad UI, but sure, it is a pretty nice one. I personally also like the later MM games' inventories, but iirc they lacked a sort function too.

poetic codex

Augur
Fascinating article. I really think someone should do a study and try to figure out why this sudden explosion of turn based goodness came about. Should I really thank Grimrock, which isn't even turn based?

I can't believe there is so much truth to the old stereotype of the bosses (who are nothing but accountants interested in the bottom line) saying "HELL NO!!" to passionate developers when they pitch their ideas of a turn based game. It almost seems like there was some kind of malicious prejudice against them, then all of a sudden, things turned around like a renaissance of sorts.

Athelas

Arcane
Grid-based inventory systems are better than lists for a very simple reason: your mind can process images much faster than words. So while you can instantly see what you have in a grid-based inventory with just a quick glance, doing that with a list takes much longer and equipping/using items is much more cumbersome.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom