Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Interview RPG Codex Interview: STASIS, 2D Isometric Adventure Game Now on Kickstarter

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Going nice so far! Here's hoping RPS and the like cover it too.

Rake

Arcane
Yeah. I'm starting to see this with a more optimist mood. I really hope that he makes it.
Propably it will, but i doubt it will go much higher. Projects that are around 20% at first day normaly achieve their goal and maybe the first strech one and that's it.

Finally, been keeping an eye on the game for a while.

I like that there are few reward levels compared to most KS campaigns and the highest pledge level with any reward stops at $449; so very sane and reasonable but a boxed copy at $78 is still a bit too high for a straight adventure game (of no renown -perhaps it isn't just, but for a comparison, boxed copy of Broken Sword KS game costs almost the same, $100 including shipping. An adventure game that doesn't draw from the nostalgia and fandom well the way Broken Sword does could try to be a little more affordable, I think), no matter how fantastic it looks. And $19 for shipping outside US is a bit too steep for a slim CD box, I think.

If this were an RPG with a fancy list of realistic promises to entice me, I would go for that box easily but as it is, I will settle with the digital download.

Pyke, could you say that you will make the box available post-release? And I thought you were using Unity for the game.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Looks great, backed. It's looking pretty good to succeed so far, hopefully things keep up. It's a bit risky asking for 100k and up as a (mostly) unknown factor, but I'd say with the quality of the game it's more than deserved.

Murk

Arcane
Glancing over the first few minutes of the game, I'm definitely getting a Planescape: Torment in space vibe... might have to do with the beginning sequence tho.

I was basically expecting a "Ughhh, my head...." as the guy got up.

When I played Harbinger, I was hoping for more stuff like this. Alas, what I got was pew pew pew. Tho some areas were pretty dope in atmosphere/design. This game clearly has it in spades.

Also, HOLY FUCK MAN PROPS FOR HAVING AN ACTUAL DEMO WHEN YOU FIRE UP THE KS, YOU SIR ARE A SCHOLAR AND A GENTLEMAN

when news first broke about Stasis, everybody were like "hey this is great... he should make an RPG!"

I mean, this is great and all... but he should really make an RPG.

team up with iron tower, KS with Ziets/Avellone stretch goals, and zip zap rap - it's a win.

ah for pity sake, why the hell? I don't wanna do combat and levels and numbers, i don't even like numbers, i just wanna look at items, pick em up and use 'em.

god...

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
a boxed copy at $78 is still a bit too high for a straight adventure game (of no renown

On the contrary, the lesser known you are, the more you have to charge for a box so as not to waste too much money on fulfillments.

One could even argue that he shouldn't be offering boxes at all.

Indeed, I always give a sigh when I see physical rewards from first-timers with no experience and connections.

Magellan

Augur
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I love the atmosphere! I'm totally a sucker for that creepy sci-fi isolation type vibe.

BACKED!

My body is ready
val-venis-o.gif

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
It's gonna make it, and maybe even reach the first goal: Add a Sentient Hyper-Optimized Data Access Network.
:troll:

I'll be playing the demo tonight and give feedback.

Self-Ejected

HobGoblin42

Self-Ejected
Patron
Developer
Codex 2013 Codex USB, 2014
The KS campaign gets all the attention you can dream of, but for some reasons it only has 750 backers and $25k pledges so far. I am sure, one or years ago this project would have achieved much more at this stage. Lately, a lot of KS campaigns failed, maybe the Tim Schafer effect finally does its evil work.

Rake

Arcane
Until the "big" games are out (W2 and PE) and proven good, the kickstarter craze is over. You can still succeed with small amounts, but don't expect last year's reception.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
" set in an abandoned research facility"? I thought the game was se t on a spaceship on a long voyage. In the video, a spaceship's thrusters can be seen

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
" set in an abandoned research facility"? I thought the game was se t on a spaceship on a long voyage. In the video, a spaceship's thrusters can be seen

The Groomlake is a research facility...it just happens to be mobile. ;)

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
The KS campaign gets all the attention you can dream of, but for some reasons it only has 750 backers and $25k pledges so far. I am sure, one or years ago this project would have achieved much more at this stage. Lately, a lot of KS campaigns failed, maybe the Tim Schafer effect finally does its evil work.

I honesty never expected to get 25% of the funding in 3 days, so this is right on track for me.
I suppose if I released when the big KS craze was up, it could have done better-but the game wouldn't have been in as solid a state as it is now. Im still excited for the future of Kickstarter, almost more so now that people are being careful with what they back!
Indeed, I always give a sigh when I see physical rewards from first-timers with no experience and connections.
All the pysical rewards exist, from the DVD box to the 3D sculpt. The truth is that they arent really 'financially rewarding', but are a really nice way to show your appreciation for people who are willing to put more faith in you as a developer. I think that offering high tiers, and only offering digital goods is a bit...cheap, for lack of a better word! If someone is paying $100 for something, they better be getting something awesome in return!
Also, HOLY FUCK MAN PROPS FOR HAVING AN ACTUAL DEMO WHEN YOU FIRE UP THE KS, YOU SIR ARE A SCHOLAR AND A GENTLEMAN
Its also so that people can really get a feeling what they are backing. So far the response has been fantastic, if not a little intimidating...
Now I want to play STASIS: No Remorse!
Stretch goal? :D
Finally, been keeping an eye on the game for a while.
I like that there are few reward levels compared to most KS campaigns and the highest pledge level with any reward stops at $449; so very sane and reasonable but a boxed copy at $78 is still a bit too high for a straight adventure game (of no renown -perhaps it isn't just, but for a comparison, boxed copy of Broken Sword KS game costs almost the same, $100 including shipping. An adventure game that doesn't draw from the nostalgia and fandom well the way Broken Sword does could try to be a little more affordable, I think), no matter how fantastic it looks. And $19 for shipping outside US is a bit too steep for a slim CD box, I think.
If this were an RPG with a fancy list of realistic promises to entice me, I would go for that box easily but as it is, I will settle with the digital download.
Pyke, could you say that you will make the box available post-release? And I thought you were using Unity for the game.
I just found it very difficult to justify some of those HUGE tiers that some people have. Its VERY tempting to have a $10 000 'spend time with me' tier, but the truth is that Im not anyone special. If you want to spend time with me, send an email, come to South Africa (its cheaper than $10 000!), and Ill gladly talk your ear off for HOURS about the game!
There will be physical copy of the game available when the game is released.
Looks great, backed. It's looking pretty good to succeed so far, hopefully things keep up. It's a bit risky asking for 100k and up as a (mostly) unknown factor, but I'd say with the quality of the game it's more than deserved.
Thanks man!
Yeah. I'm starting to see this with a more optimist mood. I really hope that he makes it.
Propably it will, but i doubt it will go much higher. Projects that are around 20% at first day normaly achieve their goal and maybe the first strech one and that's it.
Obvoisly over funding would be amazing, but the money I asked for is exactly what I need to polish STASIS to a shine!
I know that a few KS campaigns have gone in low, and expected to end with over funding, but thats a risk that Im just not willing to take with other peoples money!
You and me both!
Chris Avellone said:
One thing we noticed both on Eternity and Wasteland II is once the engine was announced, the amount of volunteers that poured in going "I do environment art in Unity in my spare time, I really enjoy doing it, could I send you a sample?" and then going back and forth with those guys. The Wasteland II guys found this guy in South Africa who is just doing a fantastic job laying out maps in Unity.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...ris-avellone-blew-by-4-million-on-kickstarter

Has a quote lined up from Brian Fargo on launch too, coincidence.[/quote]
I did some very early stuff on the Wasteland 2 art style, when they were still debating just what direction to take the game. Most of the work I did (apart from the real-time stuff) is over on www.stasisgame.com/labs
Just backed this, gave away as much as I could.
20% in the first day is a hell of a way to start Pyke :salute:
Much appreciated Templar! I cant thank people individually for backing, but where I can I will! So thanks!

How can you accomplish horror with isometric?
Where the horror will come through is in the story itself. I have an advantage in being completely independent - I can really push the story and visuals into some places that publisher may not be too happy with!
There are some truly disturbing scenes later on in the game where I hope the player will have a "No...that's not gonna happen..." reaction!
Looks great. I can't afford to back the project at the moment, but I will be rooting for it to succeed. Good luck!
Not a problem at all! Just speaking about the game in this thread is showing your support for the project!
I tried the alpha/demo. It really looks amazing and the atmosphere is very nice, but I wish it was a bit more scary. Hopefully the horror element will be me more prominent in the full game. The actual game play is disappointing though. The puzzles are all way too easy! And I can't get any joy or satisfaction from simple problem whose solution is an almost immediate realization.
Balancing an Adventure Game is a huge task! Some people have found it easy, and some have found it hard! Some have found some puzzles straight forward, and some have been stumped until they see a clue which pushes them in a certain direction.
I will try to add in some more challenging puzzles later on in the game, for the more hardy Adventure Gamers!
Backed.
Love the atmosphere, setting and graphics of Stasis.
Makes you wonder how Double Fine can spend so much money on the graphic art side of their game for their outcome, ridiculous and depressing.
To be fair, they did develop an entire multi platform engine from scratch!
Hi guys,

I just wanted to ask whether the Codex will do any special fundraising for this game?

I.e. can we donate as a group and get special presence in the game?
:love:
I am working on some ideas for community rewards...keep a weathered eye!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom