Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Interview RPG Codex Interview: Eric Fenstermaker on Pillars of Eternity​

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Supposedly there was all this racism against elves, but if you actually play an elf, this supposed racism has no bearing on the game play beyond your origin story. I get what they were trying to do, but I wish developers would take the attendant complexity into account before "promising" stuff like this.

Being a warden trumps all other identities. They got to the elf oppression stuff again later.

Neanderthal

Arcane
Still think biggest unexplained shit is that Aedyr Elf thing, there not two races o humans, there two different species an same wi all inter species relations wi Dwarves an everythin else.

Like em being not human, but needs explaining.

ushas

Savant
On a side note, I got impression that godlike aren't a race or ethnicity in traditional sense. According to lore, they could be born to any kith at any place. So when one wants to draw an analogy I would imagine something more towards genetic disorders, like albinism or when a child is born with some other abnormality... (or parallels from fictions, eg. if you are into mutants in Marvel universe)

Anyway, is there some explanation why they happen?
I haven't finished the game yet, so pardon me for ignorance, if that's part of the finale.

Collectors book on the question of occurrence:
"Godlike are equally uncommon all over the world"
... Which doesn't say much, does it?:)
However, they could be born at some nonnegligible rate, if Vailian republic would care enough to create a law about godlikes being "without sex". (still I guess we shouldn't count backers NPCs)

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
Supposedly there was all this racism against elves, but if you actually play an elf, this supposed racism has no bearing on the game play beyond your origin story. I get what they were trying to do, but I wish developers would take the attendant complexity into account before "promising" stuff like this.

Being a warden trumps all other identities. They got to the elf oppression stuff again later.

According to Steam I have 868 hours in DA:O. Now some of that is me leaving the game running in the background while I do other shit, but I'm pretty sure I would know what "they get to the elf oppression stuff" later actually means, if it was there.

You can play through the whole game, this supposedly racist Ferelden, and nobody really has shit to say about you being an elf. It practically disappears after the origin story.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
According to Steam I have 868 hours in DA:O. Now some of that is me leaving the game running in the background while I do other shit, but I'm pretty sure I would know what "they get to the elf oppression stuff" later actually means, if it was there.

When you get back to Denerim, the alienage stuff.

You can play through the whole game, this supposedly racist Ferelden, and nobody really has shit to say about you being an elf. It practically disappears after the origin story.

Because you're not an elf in their eyes anymore, you're a Warden. They conscript elves, mages, and criminals, and bam, instant respect.

Neanderthal

Arcane
Same wi that Sten gun bloke asking me Dwarf about magic, humans an shit, no real detail or reference beyond origins part.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
Even if that were true. people would be greeting you with a "Hey fuck you, dirty fucking elf, eat the corn out of my shit."

Elf: "I'm a Warden."

"Oh shit sorry, etc."

That doesn't happen. Shopkeepers give you no lip, random strangers are perfectly civil, etc. They just dropped the ball on it, no big deal, it isn't WWIII I was just pointing it out.

Tigranes

Arcane
Pretty sure they planned to have more world reactivity to Godlikes but couldn't fit it in, and that they'll try to do it next time if they can. It is indeed a missed opportunity.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Even if that were true. people would be greeting you with a "Hey fuck you, dirty fucking elf, eat the corn out of my shit."

They always know you're one when they meet you.

(for gameplay purposes they can't force you to wear Warden armor all the time)

ushas

Savant
Pretty sure they planned to have more world reactivity to Godlikes but couldn't fit it in, and that they'll try to do it next time if they can. It is indeed a missed opportunity.

it's not easy task for sure... different (sub)races and godlike variants, classes, cultures, backgrounds, sexes, dispositions, reputations and fractions, colours and shapes of hats, etc.
And don't forget the watcher element.
That's reactivity madness.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
On a side note, I got impression that godlike aren't a race or ethnicity in traditional sense. According to lore, they could be born to any kith at any place. So when one wants to draw an analogy I would imagine something more towards genetic disorders, like albinism or when a child is born with some other abnormality... (or parallels from fictions, eg. if you are into mutants in Marvel universe)

Anyway, is there some explanation why they happen?
I haven't finished the game yet, so pardon me for ignorance, if that's part of the finale.
Towards the end of the game you learn the godlikes are caused by direct divine intervention. Why the gods make such creatures is not made clear.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

They didn't have much reactivity in general, Godlikes come under that. If you don't do a second dialogue pass then you can't go through, insert a ton of dialogues for all the different types of Paladin, Rogues, etc etc. WM had a bit more of people reacting to the fact you were a godlike though, but fewer dialogue options again.

The real question for me is, will they persist with Godlikes character models that have unspeakably ugly faces, in exchange for abilities that are slightly better for the min-maxer

Tigranes

Arcane
Exactly, it's one of those things that we appreciate but is generally considered high labour low return.

Godlikes should look weird and grotesque, rather than stylish power fantasy "oh my god your otherworldliness gives you porcelain skin and perfect nose job"

AN4RCHID

Arcane
The godlikes are a dumb "race" anyway. It makes the pc too much of a special snowflake, and I guess that's why all the terrible backer NPCs are godlike. I hope Obsidian cuts them out altogether in PoE2.

M. AQVILA

Arcane
Exactly, it's one of those things that we appreciate but is generally considered high labour low return.

Godlikes should look weird and grotesque, rather than stylish power fantasy "oh my god your otherworldliness gives you porcelain skin and perfect nose job"

What's wrong with power fantasy? Some of us aren't fucking masochists you know. Not that I would necessarily want "porcelain skin and perfect nose job", I would prefer something similar to half-fiends, tieflings and their celestial counterparts. Godlikes are outright ugly.

Zanzoken

Arcane
I thought the godlikes were fairly interesting, at least in the sense that they were different from your standard fantasy tropes.

Imagine if Obsidian had just dumped the Tolkien ripoffs -- those being elves, dwarves, and orcs Aumaua -- and just went with humans and godlikes? Then they could really do the godlikes justice and create a whole body of unique lore around them. What do we know about their origins? Are they shunned by humans, or revered? Is there a godlike civilization? Etc etc.

BTW this feeds back into the point of how less content is usually better content. Two interesting racial choices is better than six bland ones.

Xzylvador

Arbiter
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Now that TWM:part 2 has been released, and the game is at version 3.0+, I started over with a new party - and the game is SOOOO much better now. The stronghold is so much better now. There are a lot of reactivity cracks that have been filled in. It's still not perfect, and there are still lessons to be learned and improvements to be made for future Pillars games, but if you are waiting to play it or replay it - now is the time.

Anthony Davis, I really do have a lot of respect for a developer posting here, thank you for that!
But I'm going to have to ask an... uncomfortable (right word?) question (which probably won't be answered):

Can you understand that some people (most of us) were extremely hyped and anxious for this game, immediately played the 1.0 and thought it was <see GOTY vote result>, ended up extremely disappointed and are now very, very hesitant to spend another €30$ on this game just to see if it's finally fixed... Maybe even stay away from any future Obsidian game out of fear for the same kind of disappointment?
Or -lesson learned- maybe pick it up a year or two later, after the game has been patched to what apparently is the state it should've been in at release; but by then also dropped to the price of a bag of peanuts?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
The "I'll pick it later" feeling is getting very strong for me... played 40-60 hours of W2, D:OS and PoE each on release, burned myself with all the issues, yet now all games have been updated, remasters and expanded... not easy to justify spending more 40 hours in a mostly linear game like PoE just to see what changed...

Torment: Numanuma is definitely not a game I'll play in the first months, I guarantee you that.

Prime Junta

spend another €30$ on this game just to see if it's finally fixed

The fixes are in the 3.0 patch, including the new stronghold content, and it's free for everyone. You only need to shell out for WM if you want to play that extra content.

I.e., give it another whirl and see if you like it better, and only drop the extra cash on the expansion if you do.

If you hate the base game, you're unlikely to enjoy WM. WM is just more of the same but (in places) a bit better with a few twists; it's not different enough that it'll make you see the light.

Kaivokz

Arcane
As a gamer, I'm getting old. I'm short on time. I'd rather spend $60 on a 12-hour experience that makes me laugh my ass off than on a 100-hour experience that routinely wastes my time.
Fucking yes. I'd gladly take a beautifully crafted 30-40 hour RPG, or even a 10-20 hour one, over another 100+ hour "Tales of Generic JRPG".

Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected

"Oh shit sorry, etc."

That doesn't happen. Shopkeepers give you no lip, random strangers are perfectly civil, etc. They just dropped the ball on it, no big deal, it isn't WWIII I was just pointing it out.

T'was the biggest letdown of DA:O at release imo. All this fuss about the different starters, Origins even put in the name of the game and all, and it actually doesn't matter unless you're a noble man (or something, heard something about late game coronations and stuff).

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I picked up PoE again and I regret spending money on the expansion packs.
I was honestly excited to try it again but the first area killed all excitement.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom