Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG Codex Interview: Chris Avellone on Pillars Cut Content, Game Development Hierarchies and More

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
I am black. But I got a bad case of vitiligo.

Bohr

Arcane
Thread just keeps on delivering, even if it's a bitch to catch up on. Have a feeling MCA is saving the biggest bombs for last... a mild bit of criticism thrown Sawyer's way would instantly add 300 pages :shittydog:

(The thing about the eternal capitalist vs commie debate is that it always ends up going in circles with nobody changing their minds, and a number of good threads around here met their demise that way in the past - would be nice if this epic read could avoid that fate for as long as possible)

RPGCodex is one of the only ones who asked - and when asked, I try to answer.

Feel free to ignore my inquiry if it has already been answered or does not rise to the occasion of warranting an answer, but have you thought about starting your own studio? A studio for, by and of the developers? Maybe crowd-source it if necessary?

ArchAngel

Arcane
I'm not privy to server data but I'm sure the stereotypical "straight, white, (Christian) male" they rail against is a minority here.

I really think it is. Look at the mod team. You got a jew. You got a woman. You have a 50 yr old man with down syndrome (Crispy ), you have a guy who used to think aobut being trans, you have a picky gay guy who loves tb games but is playing SOTA for some stupid fucking reason. You have a dirty greasy liberla Eyetalian living in mexico. Etc etc.

Yet all I read on RetardCetera and Obsidian forums is how shitty we all are and how we're all alt right white supremacists. Newflash. I voted for HRC. No. If you're reading this you're the short sighted ones. Fucking dumbasses.
Fucking Hell, you really are high on that CoolAid.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Hasn't he said 20 something times he doesn't want to be a game director again?

Pretty sure running a studio would game under that heading

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
Chris Avellone

Can you elaborate on what role the other owners/members of upper management played in those shenanigans surrounding your departure from the company? Were they actively involved in screwing you over, or did they merely give their nod of agreement in a more passive way (which would be bad enough but still).

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I have a feeling Chris is very similar in character to unfortunate people I know who are caught in a middle management position. Smart, talanted, and workaholic enough to be a lead, but not ruthless and sociopatic enough to make the step to the real management position. I believe he is on the best course where he is now.

Also, Chris, I am sorry if this has been asked already (by others than me), but what about IWD's chapter introductions and exposition style? :D

Glaucon

Prophet
Hasn't he said 20 something times he doesn't want to be a game director again?

Pretty sure running a studio would game under that heading

Not as a director, just as a co-owner/founder who trusts the running of the company entirely to others while he diligently...oh.

young avellone ran through the forest for quite a while before he finally found his parents again. as they embraced him and their worries for his safety faded, the screechings of the wart-covered gypsy continued to scrape at the inside of his skull: "fear gus, for he has an orc heart!"

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
It's my conviction that being a manager requires personal qualities which are at odds with what makes some people good at what they are doing.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Thread just keeps on delivering, even if it's a bitch to catch up on. Have a feeling MCA is saving the biggest bombs for last... a mild bit of criticism thrown Sawyer's way would instantly add 300 pages :shittydog:

(The thing about the eternal capitalist vs commie debate is that it always ends up going in circles with nobody changing their minds, and a number of good threads around here met their demise that way in the past - would be nice if this epic read could avoid that fate for as long as possible)
The biggest bomb would be saying this at the end of all of this:

"...and Josh was one of the coolest guys at Obsidian, he had a lot of great ideas and knew how to get work done. I respect him deeply".

Mustawd

I have a feeling Chris is very similar in character to unfortunate people I know who are caught in a middle management position. Smart, talanted, and workaholic enough to be a lead, but not ruthless and sociopatic enough to make the step to the real management position.

I know a Controller in a public company that was offered a partner position if she went to China for a couple years. Which of course she refused because she has 2 young children, all her family is n the states and her parents are not in great health.

Which resulted in some retard Sr Manager going to China instead and becoming partner.

Life is fucked up.

Prime Junta

Since we're doing brutal honesty, Chris Avellone did you get sexually harassed by Obsidian's HRM? There's rumours and some borderline-creepy public behaviour on record there.

Last edited by a moderator:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
It's my conviction that being a manager requires personal qualities which are at odds with what makes some people good at what they are doing.

Those "personal qualities" are a state of not being particularly good at anything else, allowing them to focus entirely on being managers.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom