Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG Codex Interview: Chris Avellone on Pillars Cut Content, Game Development Hierarchies and More

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Deowning a founder is far worse than firing an employee, plus health insurance shenanigans, plus leonine non competing and other fucked up conditions on leaving, plus using MCA's familiar problems as leverage,... HAHAHAHAHAHA. I remember when we began to doubt if MCA has turned into a disgrunted, overeacting crybaby, but, oh man, turns out now I'm wondering how he could keep quiet for so long about this shit.

Yeah, I was pretty much, let it go, but then he dropped that and now I'm all for him building the largest funeral pyre he can

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
thought re-education system

I have read 4-5 years ago, there are massive researches of advanced neuroleptics that correct behavior, and how perfectly ethical to use them on criminals, and we all know what could be counted as crime today.

Last edited:

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I propose the ultimate utopia:

A world under one government, with regular relocation based on competence.

Newborns should be moved to and raised in America. Once you've finished education, you will be moved to South America and SEA if you're below competent, Africa and the Middle East if you're useless, Europe if you could actually make a meaningful contribution, Japan if you're inhumanly productive, and if you're just mediocre you will be forced to work as a low-paying teacher in America.

... but when I think about it the population distribution would be similar to the current world we live in.

Mustawd

Waaaaaaaaait a minute. "Sudden" cancellation? Why it would be sudden if you'd planned on resigning?

Chris, were you fired from Obsidian?

(I realized I didn’t answer this.)

No – after raising some questions about company finances and other issues, Feargus de-ownered me (which I didn’t have a choice in) and then told, “but don’t worry, we’ll still allow you to work on Tyranny for us,” and my response was, “that’s okay, you can work on it by yourself.”

Before this seems unusual, de-ownering was actually a common threat tossed around, so it wasn’t specific to me – if any owner raised objections to events going on, the response was often, “you don’t sound like you want to be an owner anymore” and never addressed the actual issues being brought up.

Not surprisingly, this shift in being de-ownered coincided with taking place shortly before the first royalty payments from Eternity came in, which meant that the surviving owners got a much larger share with me de-ownered (I don’t mind that, as I didn’t want royalty payments from Eternity, but I don’t think the other owners deserved royalties, either, except maybe a set amount for Darren for the Backer portal work he put in – the team deserved all of it). It was a good business decision, but not good ethics.

Read you loud and clear buddy.

:salute:

Drax

Arcane
I demand a fucking TL;DR point by point summary of this thread.

Fuck you newfags and your always online facebooks.

• :slamdunk: Now, Av-ALONE, bow to my awesome power.

• :mca: lulz, nah, thxkbye.

• 890cb3c80a.png

• DpZkRk4.gif

• l0tePb.gif

• :bunkertime:

• :whatisfun: What do people mean when they say "fun"?

Last edited:

Trashos

Arcane
Hey, guys! So, I was buried in work for a while, but now I have some time to spend on my beloved Codex! What's the haps?

Holy shit...

Mustawd

If you want to read something amusing, read RetardEra's reaction to this thread

Intentionally timed from the Codex i see. With Pillars 2 coming out next week and all.

:roll:

Be aware, not that im denying anything, but grains of salt might be useful, as the Codex is an Avellone fanboy haven that tends to shit on devs like Obsidian in current times and is full of honestly trash people. I mean, just browse some of the codex threads and you get a sense of the type of folk that hang out there. They have something to gain from dropping this right before Pillars 2 comes out.

:roll::roll::roll::roll:

Yah cuz Infinitron really wants PoE2 to crash. What's next? He moves DE to the adventure game forum? These people are absolute morons.

Mustawd

Articles of Incorporation below in case anyone is interested (probably no one :negative:)

So Bester made me think about something weird here. Article 4 clearly states:

This corporation is authorized to issue only one class of shares of stock, which shall be designated "Common Stock

Which means MCA never did have a lower class of stock. Which tells me:

1. The assumption when this company was formed is that its owners, in terms of type, are on equal footing. Of course this can vary in terms of power in how the shares are distributed. But if you own a lower share of stock there's always that implication that you're a lower tier owner.
2. I'm not a lawyer, and I don't have particular experience with private corps like Obsidian. But I'd be willing to bet the forcing a stock buyback would have to clear a p. big bar. So that tells me either One person holds more shares than the rest of the owners. Or that the majority of owners had to vote to kick MCA out.

I'm sure some of you might think that's not a huge distinction, but I tend to think it is. IMO it'd be a bigger fuck you to him for it to be done by his fellow owners at Obsidian. But who knows who has the share distribution or what's in the shareholder agreement.

Neanderthal

Arcane
I think we all know who's to blame for the recriminations and animosity that have arisen between MCA and Obsidian.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom