Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Interview RPG Codex Interview: Chaos Chronicles

Untermensch

Augur
That's really nice, but pray tell WHY FUCKING ELVES, DWARFS AND ORCS??????? WHYYYYYY??????????

Is it so fucking hard to make up an original world?????????? Why must every fantasy game world be so fucking generic????????????

Why do game developers have no fucking creativity??????

Other than that the game looks promising.

kaizoku

Arcane
That's really nice, but pray tell WHY FUCKING ELVES, DWARFS AND ORCS??????? WHYYYYYY??????????

Is it so fucking hard to make up an original world?????????? Why must every fantasy game world be so fucking generic????????????

That's really nice, but pray tell WHY THE FUCKING CAPS LOCK AND EXCESSIVE QUESTION MARKS??????? WHYYYYYY??????????

Is it so fucking hard to make up a sound and coherent argument?????????? Why must every newfag be so fucking generic????????????

Why do newfags have no fucking creativity??????

read their blog and you'll know why. Well, I think it's even clear in the interview.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's supposed to be a combat-centric party-based RPG. Why would you care about setting in one of those as long as the encounters are challenging and the character system solid?

They also seem to accentuate atmosphere so there is no problem, at least for me. Seems like a "darker" version of Tolkien. And I like that a lot. Dangerous and deadly ruined villages and dungeons for exploration, yay! :love:

alx3apps

Educated
Is sounds too good to be true. Want to believe.

My current speculations:
- small team, but not indie (more like Piranha Bytes then Almost Human), made some games earlier
- free-time project with in-house engine
- no funding - site states "Chaos Chronicles is funded by the FilmFernsehFonds Bayern", but I cannot find it in funded games list , anyway typical project got about 100k euro there that is not serious for such team
- first time presented on game conference two weeks ago, searching for publisher maybe? Is it really possible to find publisher for non-indie team without advertising as skyrim/dragon age/diablo clone?

Also game site has utmost shit art (horned helm and elven tits) on top of it. Smells like ad for free-to-play iOS mmo, not for turn-based combat with hex grid.

At the same time their team photo with game boxes is marvelous. It made my jewgold instantly ready for preorder. Think, they can fund moderately sized kickstarter campaign using this photo as only promotion material.

Is sounds too good to be true. Want to believe.

My current speculations:
- small team, but not indie (more like Piranha Bytes then Almost Human), made some games earlier
- free-time project with in-house engine
- no funding - site states "Chaos Chronicles is funded by the FilmFernsehFonds Bayern", but I cannot find it in funded games list , anyway typical project got about 100k euro there that is not serious for such team
- first time presented on game conference two weeks ago, searching for publisher maybe? Is it really possible to find publisher for non-indie team without advertising as skyrim/dragon age/diablo clone?

Also game site has utmost shit art (horned helm and elven tits) on top of it. Smells like ad for free-to-play iOS mmo, not for turn-based combat with hex grid.

At the same time their team photo with game boxes is marvelous. It made my jewgold instantly ready for preorder. Think, they can fund moderately sized kickstarter campaign using this photo as only promotion material.

Man, have you read the Codex discussion with one of the devs? What you say can only be possible if he is a complete and utter liar. And I don't think he is.

mote

Novice
I have the read the articles on Coreplay's development blog, and am very impressed. Especially with the return of the the worldmap, I hope they implement lots of different types of random encounters on the map, not just running into a mob of orcs but perhaps running into groups of refugee NPC's who can take you back to their secret hideout (like Shifty Sands) if you have high enough charisma points in your party to gain their trust in dialogue. That way you could have secret locations that you can only find by random encounters. Another idea like that could be finding a secret dungeon or crypt in the same method, the more loot they have in them the lower the chance of getting the event of uncovering the entrance.

Also, random events in combat that result in quests. Say when fighting high-lvl spellcasters, a random chance that a member of your party will get hit with a rare curse that will eventually kill them, so if you don't have a high enough cleric in your party to heal it, it pops up a party dialogue saying "This is the mysterious XYZ curse, I believe the XYZ sect of priests could heal it if we find them".

It's a pretty crappy game, but in Ishar 3 I had a similar event in one of my party being cursed and a ying/yang symbol appeared over her head, inverting her alignment, so she kept attacking other party members.

I apologize for the rant.

Self-Ejected

HobGoblin42

Self-Ejected
Patron
Developer
Codex 2013 Codex USB, 2014

The working title of this game was 'Myth of Glory' and the funding of FFFBayern was 195.000 EUR in total. It's still on our company page under TBA and I think somebody should update our shabby webpage ASAP.

Especially with the return of the the worldmap, I hope they implement lots of different types of random encounters on the map, not just running into a mob of orcs but perhaps running into groups of refugee NPC's who can take you back to their secret hideout (like Shifty Sands) if you have high enough charisma points in your party to gain their trust in dialogue. That way you could have secret locations that you can only find by random encounters. Another idea like that could be finding a secret dungeon or crypt in the same method, the more loot they have in them the lower the chance of getting the event of uncovering the entrance.
Also, random events in combat that result in quests. Say when fighting high-lvl spellcasters, a random chance that a member of your party will get hit with a rare curse that will eventually kill them, so if you don't have a high enough cleric in your party to heal it, it pops up a party dialogue saying "This is the mysterious XYZ curse, I believe the XYZ sect of priests could heal it if we find them".

Thanks for your contribution, our Game Designer exactly need that kind of input from the Codex.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
The fact that you're Bavarian bros raises my confidence toward your game enormously (it can only be awesome if you guys are on a diet of Bavarian beer and Schweinshaxn :smug:).

What I'd really love to see would be a hard-to-discover awesome dungeon where you can find danger and treasure - but which requires a lot of research to find. Think of the Iron Clan in Arcanum. It's one of the most satisfying quests in that game. At first you only hear rumours about the Iron Clan, never thinking you could actually find it in the game, and you can only find it by reading a certain book to find a certain location and then opening a mysterious safe in the Tarantian museum to get some items you need to actually find the Iron Clan cave...

I'd really like to see something similar in Chaos Chronicles. A legendary place that requires some effort to find but is incredibly rewarding when you finally do find it would be great.

Also, will you be able to kill anyone you meet and (possibly) suffer consequences for it?

The Great Deceiver

Trickster
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
With "AAA" industry slowing collapsing under its own weight are we looking at a genuine cRPG renaissance?

The sudden influx of interesting projects is certainly a good portent.

mote

Novice
The fact that you're Bavarian bros raises my confidence toward your game enormously (it can only be awesome if you guys are on a diet of Bavarian beer and Schweinshaxn :smug:).

What I'd really love to see would be a hard-to-discover awesome dungeon where you can find danger and treasure - but which requires a lot of research to find. Think of the Iron Clan in Arcanum. It's one of the most satisfying quests in that game. At first you only hear rumours about the Iron Clan, never thinking you could actually find it in the game, and you can only find it by reading a certain book to find a certain location and then opening a mysterious safe in the Tarantian museum to get some items you need to actually find the Iron Clan cave...

I'd really like to see something similar in Chaos Chronicles. A legendary place that requires some effort to find but is incredibly rewarding when you finally do find it would be great.

Also, will you be able to kill anyone you meet and (possibly) suffer consequences for it?
Exactly what I was thinking regarding hard-to-discover places, I remember that quest in Arcanum!

I know nothing of game programming, but perhaps a magical/haunted castle that appears and reappears in random places, like a myth in the game's lore because no one has actually seen it except illustrations in books. So the chance of your party getting the encounter on the worldmap where you discover the castle is very, very low, but if you get it you can either enter the dungeon or not, but if you walk away the castle will disappear into the shadows and you may never see it again (or in "Hardcore" mode you could make it that you can only get this encounter once in a playthrough), but of course who's to say what horrors/treasures are inside.

It's a bit like Mr Cain said in the recent interview regarding Tarant's newspaper, it's features that some people may never notice if they just play through the game once and forget it, but they add great depth and re-playability. It would also really evoke that "old school" feeling of wonder and challenge, you know people could have been playing the game for ages and never yet got that random encounter.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron

Exactly what I was thinking regarding hard-to-discover places, I remember that quest in Arcanum!

I know nothing of game programming, but perhaps a magical/haunted castle that appears and reappears in random places, like a myth in the game's lore because no one has actually seen it except illustrations in books. So the chance of your party getting the encounter on the worldmap where you discover the castle is very, very low, but if you get it you can either enter the dungeon or not, but if you walk away the castle will disappear into the shadows and you may never see it again (or in "Hardcore" mode you could make it that you can only get this encounter once in a playthrough), but of course who's to say what horrors/treasures are inside.

It's a bit like Mr Cain said in the recent interview regarding Tarant's newspaper, it's features that some people may never notice if they just play through the game once and forget it, but they add great depth and re-playability. It would also really evoke that "old school" feeling of wonder and challenge, you know people could have been playing the game for ages and never yet got that random encounter.

Personally, I think it's better to base the discovery not on luck or chance, but on actual research of in-game lore or by doing a complicated quest. Something rather obscure that only few players will pursue, but when they find it actually leads to something, they'll go "wow!".

mote

Novice

Personally, I think it's better to base the discovery not on luck or chance, but on actual research of in-game lore or by doing a complicated quest. Something rather obscure that only few players will pursue, but when they find it actually leads to something, they'll go "wow!".
Yes, on second thought that would be a better way to do it. Also a tracking/outdoorsman skill (or if there's a Ranger class in the game) should have an impact on finding secrets.

alx3apps

Educated
The working title of this game was 'Myth of Glory' and the funding of FFFBayern was 195.000 EUR in total. It's still on our company page under TBA and I think somebody should update our shabby webpage ASAP.

Thanks, no speculations further.

But this description made me laugh hardly:
Myth of Glory EUR 195.000 Applicant: Coreplay Platforms: Windows PC via Steam, Xbox 360 Live Arcade, Playstation 3 Net work • Cooperative Online Action RPG. The player goes to a world that was captured over a century ago by demons...

Current project description is the biggest incline (idea change during one game development) I ever heard of!

:takemyjewgold:

The Great Deceiver

Trickster
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
How about romances? Not gonna buy if I can't bed a dwarf.

Going forward, I think all RPG romance options should be limited to same sex. That way they will always be both literally AND figuratively gay. I think this will make everything much simpler.

Seriously bro, you're stuck in stone age or what? It should be mandatory and unskippable too.

deus101

Never LET ME into a tattoo parlor!
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2

Other than that the game looks promising.
Fuck nextgen writer faggotry.

GIVE ME THE CLICHÉS AS LONG AS THE MECHANICS ARE SOUND!

Kos_Koa

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
They're saying all the right things. It sounds like it could be great.

:thumbsup:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom