Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial RPG Codex Editorial: Games Journalism Scandal

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
So... You're basically saying the gaming media is welfare for video game fans?
Exactly, and there a many more professions like that in the gaming world; think of all the countless "community managers" like Chris Priestly, MMO GMs, playtesters... how they drone jobs and still are proud of working with games. Gaming journalism is just a louder bunch.

I know a guy that works at LevelUp games, a huge MMO company here in Brasil. He says that a lot of the employees are just blind fans with no experience, or worse, graduated from game university, that want to "work with games" and get banal shit boring jobs at mediocre pays.... AND ARE HAPPY WITH THAT.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Exactly, and there a many more professions like that in the gaming world; think of all the countless "community managers" like Chris Priestly, MMO GMs, playtesters... how they drone jobs and still are proud of working with games. Gaming journalism is just a louder bunch.

I know a guy that works at LevelUp games, a huge MMO company here in Brasil. He says that a lot of the employees are just blind fans with no experience, or worse, graduated from game university, that want to "work with games" and get banal shit boring jobs at mediocre pays.... AND ARE HAPPY WITH THAT.

- Can they use C++, C#, Java, JavaScript? Python? Alice? The little node-connectors in UDK? The code-block thingys in Blender?

CrustyBot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012

Low standards on a personal level leads to low standards on a professional level. Doesn't surprise me at all.

Dexter

Arcane
She apparently studied Journalism and whatever "Game Studies" is at London Met-U.

Anyway, this is rather ironic as she picks on some guy about his articles: http://www.laurenwainwright.com/?p=829
For those who are all about the TL;DR, Gavin basically writes;
Stop picking on me. I write about tits because it’s popular and my job requires me to have popular posts that bring in all of the traffic! There is nothing wrong with it because everyone loves boobies and so you can’t complain about things that are popular! Please stop picking on me on twitter.

Then at some point the guy pops up and starts talking about libel and removing the article:
Disliking the fact that crudity is our bread and butter is different from pretending that it’s not. Suggestions of bad journalism in the piece were not directed at anyone specific, just pretentious, holier-than-thou journalists who act all superior because they’re in denial about what really makes this industry tick.
Suggestions of bad journalism in my comment on this piece were directed at this piece, which is bad journalism because it is potentially libelous. A good journalist knows that it is risky to summarise someone else’s work AT ALL, and that if you do choose to do so, you should be VERY careful that your summary is accurate and complete. This one is neither, and I would politely request again that it be removed.

This is about her starting on a PR firm for games while apparently working for GameSpot: http://www.laurenwainwright.com/?p=414
If you didn’t know already, I’m joining the dark side and trying out games PR for 3-months. A few people have asked, and no, I’m not giving up writing. DO NOT PANIC! Not that anyone would.. panic :’( But you know, just in case!
So, who will I be serving? Barrington Harvey of course! Make sure to follow them on twitter and win stuff, but follow me first! We will be doing F1 2010, International Cricket 2010 and Mafia II while I am there. Hopefully it will go well. In other news: I start tomorrow and I’m shitting bricks!
Games PR is something I wanted to get into eventually and this will give me a good heads up to what it’s all about. I still have my heart set on writing though so unless something goes horribly wrong, then no future plans have been changed.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Working as a GM is a SHIT JOB I can tell you. It's not as leisure easy peasy you probably imagine. It's like working in a callcenter, only worse.

waywardOne

Arcane
FFS, that chick is barely literate. Good luck with that PR job since writing legibly and coherently is unimportant.

DragoFireheart

- Can they use C++, C#, Java, JavaScript? Python? Alice? The little node-connectors in UDK? The code-block thingys in Blender?
Probably not, even the GM jobs listing at LevelUp website require only "knowledge of Windows and its Office aplications (Excel, Word...)".

- So basically the skills of an office worker. You have enough brain power to open Excel and Word, know how to turn on your computer, and can speak English well enough.

Pathetic.

Morkar Left

Fuck 'em. If they like us they like us. Heat and kitchens and all that.
You know what's comming next:

K9V22.jpg

This is probably the most comprehensive and common reaction everyone experiences who stumbles over the codex :lol:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Bro, let me situate you. We are talking about underpayed, banal shit boring drone work, that only a gam3r that "love games" would bear to do, for a free-to-play MMO company in third-worldian Brazil. Unassisted breathing skills are not required, but appreciated.

Morkar Left

DragoFireheart

Bro, let me situate you. We are talking about underpayed, banal shit boring drone work, that only a gam3r that "love games" would bear to do, for a free-to-play MMO company in third-worldian Brazil. Unassisted breathing skills are not required, but appreciated.

- That sounds like a EA job description.

I think I remember a video once about these two monotone robots arguing about what entails a video game job. You had the one naive robot that was willing to do anything while you also had the more educated, reasonable robot telling us why the game job is not as glamorous as it may seem.

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
This went down rather badly, perhaps because Wainwright, as it later turned out, had in fact worked as a creative consultant for Square Enix - Tomb Raider’s publisher - to the point of listing them as a current employer on Journalisted, and had provided several Square Enix products with previews and reviews for various publications, in which words and phrases such as ‘badass’, ‘awesome’, ‘innovative’, ‘deep’, ‘additive’ (sic), ‘fantastic’, ‘Lara Croft is a feminist symbol’ (sic), ‘breath-taking’, and ‘extraordinary’ predominate (after these revelations were made public, by Stu Campbell and others, this information began to magically disappear from the internet, although more material continued to surface including posts on Wainwright’s blog that reference her close friendship with Square Enix Marketing Manager Korina Abbott, repeatedly regurgitate Square Enix press statements, describe her trip to the Square Enix offices in Japan, encourage fans to vote for her in the very same GMAs organised by her employers at Intent Media who she later felt the need to defend against Florence, announce her intention to go into Games PR herself, show off the free ‘swag’ she’s been given by publicists, and explain that ‘when I was a little girl I wanted to work for Square Enix.’ Obviously, though, there's no way you can take any or all of this information to cast any doubt on the impartiality of the journalist.).

Great article. A few more full stops would have helped much, some sentences, like the above one, should be chopped up. Don't try to cram all information in one sentence. The part in the brackets is too long, you shouldn't use brackets to enclose almost a full paragraph.

Great work otherwise.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I think I remember a video once about these two monotone robots arguing about what entails a video game job. You had the one naive robot that was willing to do anything while you also had the more educated, reasonable robot telling us why the game job is not as glamorous as it may seem.
This one, right?

To be honest, I have sympathy for developers that have a vision and want to work in the industry, they usually are devoted & hardworking people who are crushed by a evil industry...but the sideline game jobs like GMs, Community Managers and game journalists always looked like lazy people with the lowest life standards, that just wanna play games...

DragoFireheart

This one, right?

To be honest, I have sympathy for developers that have a vision and want to work in the industry, they usually are devoted & hardworking people who are crushed by a evil industry...but the sideline game jobs like GMs, Community Managers and game journalists always looked like lazy people with the lowest life standards, that just wanna play games...

- I like to pretend that the card-board robot is some CoD kid while the guy on the right is some well known developer like Chris Avellone.

grotsnik

Arcane
Another scrap of detail - I asked Stu Campbell about his Colin Campbell/IGN accusation.

I imagine nobody’s followed it up because it was a long time ago and it’s my word against his, with no evidence either way. But Colin is the only person in my career who’s ever tried to get me to review a game on the understanding that it had to receive a certain minimum score to keep the publisher happy and taking out adverts. It was Domark’s skanky conversion of Super Space Invaders for the C64. I refused, and Commodore Format, which Colin was editor of at the time, ended up giving it 92%.
(I think Colin was also publisher of Amiga Action when it reviewed Rise Of The Robots, but I can’t say for sure – the issue it was in hasn’t been scanned on AMR yet.)

almondblight

Arcane
It's pretty simple. Game websites need two things to survive - advertisements and readership. Advertisements come from publishers. Readership comes from having exclusive interviews, previews, launch day reviews, etc., none of which your going to get without being friendly with the publisher. Anyone with half a brain should be able to see the results from the mad-libs style copy and paste reviews that you can predict before reading them. Hell, I'm sue you guys know what the Mass Effect 4 reviews will say: "Finally, after a long wait the definitive RPG series has returned, with a new installment that manages to stay true to the original while innovating in ways that..."

Gaming sites are giant informercial channels. That is the problem. That's why I can't really chearlead guys like Florence and Walker that are basically saying "while you're shooting the infomercial, please don't brag about how much you're getting paid to say this product is great." That's also why the focus on Wainwright is missing the point. I mean, guess it's good that she's coming under fire for what she did since it seems that most gamers are incapable of seeing what's happening normally, but when you're watching the informercial channel and think you're watching the news there's a much bigger problem.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom