Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG Codex - does not scale to your mobile?

Angthoron

Arcane
So starting some time last month, opening the Codex forums on my mobile (N86 if that matters) states that it's "attempting to scale the site to your mobile", after which it scales post width to about six lovely words. Granted, Codex likes one-liners, but even a one-liner doesn't fit on one line anymore.

Seeing as the scaling doesn't happen on other sites, I have to wonder why the site that prides itself on lack of scaling is doing this!

Lesifoere

Liturgist
The font is huge on default zoom yes, but that's what zooming out (with text reflow) is for.

Sadly browsing the web on a Nokia is like hitting yourself in the balls repeatedly with a sack full of rusty nails, so that could be why.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Yeah, I was fucking around with this. Haven't gotten far yet.

Self-Ejected

Kosmonaut

Lost in Space
Lesifoere said:
The font is huge on default zoom yes, but that's what zooming out (with text reflow) is for.

Sadly browsing the web on a Nokia is like hitting yourself in the balls repeatedly with a sack full of rusty nails, so that could be why.
:?

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
This thread makes me confused. Must be all the chicks posting in it.

*sends some PM's*

Also, people can change the font size on their device, so why so hueg?

Lesifoere

Liturgist
denizsi said:
Nokias have no balls that would make you want to lick'em.

Quite. Buying a Nokia is like hooking up with nomask7, and nobody should be that desperate.

Angthoron

Arcane
Thing is that zooming out doesn't help, upon zoomout it shows the same 6 words per line that fit on the initial zoom scale.

Mind you, this didn't happen in mid-July, so either something happened to my phone, or something happened to my Codex. Doesn't scale on any other site like this, either.

I'll try Mobile Opera though, maybe that'll suck less.

Edit/update:

Tried MobOpera 10, it had the same probelm until I switched it to a "mobile view" mode where it shows the poster info on the top of the post rather than on the side. Looks like browsers cannot Codex forum sidebar.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Any chance you guys with different mobiles can post screenshots?

Angthoron

Arcane
Took screenies, will photobucket them once I'm near my data cable.

Angthoron

Arcane
Best Screen Snap 2.0 for example. Google the "taking screenshots with Nokia [modelnumber]" if that's not for you.

BSS2.0 is available for free on the Nokia Ovi Store thingy, by the way.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
DarkUnderlord said:
Any chance you guys with different mobiles can post screenshots?

Sure. These are what the forum looks like when first loaded in all my phone's 480x800 glory:

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/783/codex.png
http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/8161/codex3.png

If zoomed out all the way, it looks like this:

codex2.png

I'm guessing that's the way you meant it to look.

EDIT: bah, already turned off my phone to charge. I'll get screenshots of actual posts/threads tomorrow, but in past experience if I zoom out when browsing a thread, it'll show up just fine--no six word per line problem. Come to think of it, I could try changing user agent to iPhone and see what happens.

Angthoron

Arcane
N86 default browser scaling begins:
scaling.jpg

Result, default zoom picked by scaler:
scalingresultunzoomed.jpg

Result, zoomed out:
scalingresultzoomed.jpg

MobOpera10, settings for working picture:
settingsworking.jpg

Result on MobOpera:
mobopera10mobileview.jpg

Turning off Mobile View:
mobopera10normal.jpg

As can be seen, the scaling doesn't seem to work properly unless I have the MobOpera running in Mobile View. For whatever reason, the text doesn't reflow to the right but stays in the same layout as on max zoom. Also, it didn't zoom in to the max before, now that I come to think of it.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
I'd almost forgotten how horrible Symbian is, both in user experience and eyesore factor. God, those awful tabs, bottom and top.

Angthoron

Arcane
And now we know that DU has been secretly recoding the site to run with iPhone and subtly undermine the Nokia Experience (TM).

Lesifoere

Liturgist
The Nokia experience can't be undermined anymore than Nokia has already done. :smug:

Reject_666_6

Arcane
Hei Lesi, since you seem to know your shit, what would be a good smartphone to switch to, since I'm getting rid of my old brick? I think that all of my friends are Nokia fanboys, so asking them would be like asking what phone to get on an Apple forum.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Nokia fanboys are weird. I mean, what's there to fanboy apart from those phones being cheap? They're so very, very, very crappy. The expensive models are horrible because they're exactly like the cheap ones, just with more metal slapped on. It's like Nokia has never heard of processors faster than 600 MHz and more memory than, I don't know, 256 MB? Kind of like RIM.

Do you have any particular preferences? Since you aren't from the USA, you aren't locked to a carrier, I'm guessing, and can buy whatever phone unlocked and shove in a sim card. Right now there are only two viable smartphone OSes: Apple's and Google's. Everything else is dross and Blackberries are just as shitty as Nokia, only pricier. There's a niche OS by Samsung called Bada, but it's not mature enough and I doubt it'll see much developer support, so that's not the smartest choice IMO. Windows Phone 7 could be nice, but it's not yet out.

The high-end international Android line-up is the Samsung Galaxy S, the Motorola Droid Pro/Milestone 2, the Sony Xperia X10 and the HTC Desire. Only the Pro/Milestone 2 has a keyboard so if you're allergic to virtual keys that would be your sole choice, but I'd advise taking a look at Swype, which is a perfectly capable virtual keyboard and faster to type with than many hardware keyboards once you're past the learning curve. The Samsung has one of the best mobile GPU chips, so pick that if you plan to play [strike]Avatar[/strike] Smurfs HD or Sims 3 on it, but beware the cheap plastic chassis. If not, most high-end Android phones have similar specs: 1 GHz processor, 512 MB of RAM, etc. The Desire loses out somewhat for having tiny internal storage and a blargh GPU. If budget is a concern, take a look at the Acer Stream or Acer Liquid E. High-endish specs but without the price tag. Can't recommend the Sony, because the touch sensor is shite and OS updates are way too slow in coming; the X10 is still running Android 1.6 when everyone else is already on 2.2

Nokia actually has one single (1) good phone: the N900. That thing is pretty amazing and has been hacked to run all kinds of shit, including booting Android and Linux distros. Huge developer scene for what it is. Otherwise, though, avoid Nokia like the plague until it starts releasing its next-gen Linux phones, which starts with the Nokia N9. No idea when that will come out.

Angthoron

Arcane
Nokia still has fanboys? They were fairly justified in pre-smartphone and even the early smartphone days but Nokia really fell behind the curve since then.

Reject_666_6

Arcane
Lesifoere said:
Do you have any particular preferences? Since you aren't from the USA, you aren't locked to a carrier, I'm guessing, and can buy whatever phone unlocked and shove in a sim card. Right now there are only two viable smartphone OSes: Apple's and Google's. Everything else is dross and Blackberries are just as shitty as Nokia, only pricier. There's a niche OS by Samsung called Bada, but it's not mature enough and I doubt it'll see much developer support, so that's not the smartest choice IMO. Windows Phone 7 could be nice, but it's not yet out.

The high-end international Android line-up is the Samsung Galaxy S, the Motorola Droid Pro/Milestone 2, the Sony Xperia X10 and the HTC Desire. Only the Pro/Milestone 2 has a keyboard so if you're allergic to virtual keys that would be your sole choice, but I'd advise taking a look at Swype, which is a perfectly capable virtual keyboard and faster to type with than many hardware keyboards once you're past the learning curve. The Samsung has one of the best mobile GPU chips, so pick that if you plan to play [strike]Avatar[/strike] Smurfs HD or Sims 3 on it, but beware the cheap plastic chassis. If not, most high-end Android phones have similar specs: 1 GHz processor, 512 MB of RAM, etc. The Desire loses out somewhat for having tiny internal storage and a blargh GPU. If budget is a concern, take a look at the Acer Stream or Acer Liquid E. High-endish specs but without the price tag. Can't recommend the Sony, because the touch sensor is shite and OS updates are way too slow in coming; the X10 is still running Android 1.6 when everyone else is already on 2.2.

Thanks for this! I'll be looking into the Droid and the HTC.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom