Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex 2023 GOTY - POLL IS CLOSED!

Falksi

Arcane
Only played a handful, but the big things which stands out for me is how mid Sea of Stars was. The hype and praise which that game got from Normie Central was off the scale, and it other than the aesthetics it is completely average.

Last edited:

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Only played a handful, but the big things which stands out for me is how mid Sea of Stars. The hype and praise which that game got from Normie Central was off the scale, and it other than the graphics is completely average.

I haven't even rated it, since I forgot to play it via the gamepass... for a bit.

It was horrendously mid and uninteresting.

Arthandas

Prophet
Who the fuck plays games from the current year?! I've been playing rpgs all year, and I haven't touched a single game on this list. We should be voting on 2022 GOTY now...

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Only played a handful, but the big things which stands out for me is how mid Sea of Stars. The hype and praise which that game got from Normie Central was off the scale, and it other than the aesthetics it is completely average.
You have to put it into context.
Which in this case is other JRPGs. Compared with those, it beats the average in every aspect and rightfully deserves the praise. It is really only surpassed by Chained Echoes.

Compared to all other games in the broad RPG world? Eh... Still quite enjoyable IMO.

Falksi

Arcane
Only played a handful, but the big things which stands out for me is how mid Sea of Stars. The hype and praise which that game got from Normie Central was off the scale, and it other than the aesthetics it is completely average.
You have to put it into context.
Which in this case is other JRPGs. Compared with those, it beats the average in every aspect and rightfully deserves the praise. It is really only surpassed by Chained Echoes.

Compared to all other games in the broad RPG world? Eh... Still quite enjoyable IMO.
Even in that context it's mid. It's not a patch on the games which influenced it, and it's not a patch on modern JRPGs either.

It shines out as a perfect example of modern devs trying to tribute older games, but not really getting what made them nor what makes a good game in itself.

Chained Echoes is mid too.

Gandalf

Arbiter
Voted. Have not played many games and certainly not any of the HOTEST titles of 2023. Strange times.

Viata

Arcane
This list might serve as a good source to find games to play in 10 years.

I actually did play 1 game, albeit only the demo, and only for like an hour. Diablo 4. Gave it a big fat fuckin 1.
Ok is there actually anyone who played more than ONE new RPG last year?
I did. But none of them was really released last year (including the ones I voted in this goty).

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
One sentence is a lot of time to you?

Explains why you like games like sea of Stars and Chained Echoes.
You got me wrong there.
I totally love the way that the JRPGs of old, which SoS and Chained Echoes attribute but "don't get", enriched the player's time with endless amounts of exposition, dialogue and cutscenes.
Truly, I wish those new games would've done that as well.

Octopath Traveler 1+2 are much better in this regard. About 50% of the time you aren't even playing, just reading.
And the rest of the time you play the classic jRPG combat with a "deep" system that is completely wasted because all encounters are way too easy.
I dig it. No innovation necessary.

Viata

Arcane
Problem here is simple: I saw BG 3 and didn't like it, in fact I found it very boring. However, I have not played it and so I have not voted any score. And I'm sure there are more people like this, perhaps for other games, and so I can understand if someone wants to vote 0 for a game that they have not played, but I still find it unethical. The same reason if you vote 5 in a game that you found the trailer amazing, but lacks the means to play it (not a good computer, for example).

Iucounu

Educated
I want to be able to separate the "obviously polarizing so people who won't like it don't play it" games from the "obscure yet amazing" games. Easiest way seems to be to allow people to give low scores even if they didn't play. Although maybe there should just be a separate "didn't play because I lack of time/interest to play every game that release on steam" and "didn't play because it seems like shit" options on the poll (maybe next time?).
How about the following voting alternatives:

* "I know nothing about the game" resulting in no score.

* "I refuse to play this garbage" resulting in a fixed 2/5. Maybe 1/5 would be too severe, since you could be partially wrong (for example, maybe BG3 has good mechanics that you'll never learn about because its other flaws prevent you from playing it).

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

* "I refuse to play this garbage" resulting in a fixed 2/5. Maybe 1/5 would be too severe, since you could be partially wrong (for example, maybe BG3 has good mechanics that you'll never learn about because of its other flaws).
If you refuse to play it you don't know it, so don't place a score. Is it really that difficult?

Iucounu

Educated

* "I refuse to play this garbage" resulting in a fixed 2/5. Maybe 1/5 would be too severe, since you could be partially wrong (for example, maybe BG3 has good mechanics that you'll never learn about because of its other flaws).
If you refuse to play it you don't know it, so don't place a score. Is it really that difficult?
But I do know it from Youtube videos, enough to not want to play.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

Knowing from youtube videos, lol.

Imagine if someone was writing reviews for the Codex based on somebody's lets plays. Would you respect such a guy? No? So don't be him.

Viata

Arcane
The only reason people want to give 0 to a game they have not played is so it doesn't get to the TOP 3 (which is also the same reason to give it a 5 if you have not played). I'm more interested in knowing among the games I have never heard before, which ones got some good scores. Their rank doesn't interest me at all.

Falksi

Arcane
One sentence is a lot of time to you?

Explains why you like games like sea of Stars and Chained Echoes.
You got me wrong there.
I totally love the way that the JRPGs of old, which SoS and Chained Echoes attribute but "don't get", enriched the player's time with endless amounts of exposition, dialogue and cutscenes.
Truly, I wish those new games would've done that as well.

Octopath Traveler 1+2 are much better in this regard. About 50% of the time you aren't even playing, just reading.
And the rest of the time you play the classic jRPG combat with a "deep" system that is completely wasted because all encounters are way too easy.
I dig it. No innovation necessary.
I just found both Sea of Stars and Chained Echos to have dull stories (Sea of Stars more-so) and dull combat. The ending of SoS was proper wank.

Both lived off their nostalgia bait, Sea of Stars massively so.

Iucounu

Educated

Knowing from youtube videos, lol.
Yes. If I see say wokeism or other abominations in videos I already know enough about the game. Could the game have other good qualities? Maybe (hence my suggested 2/5 rating), but I no longer care to find out.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
I just found both Sea of Stars and Chained Echos to have dull stories (Sea of Stars more-so) and dull combat. The ending of SoS was proper wank.

Both lived off their nostalgia bait, Sea of Stars massively so.
I agree the SoS story and writing was way below Chained Echoes, but CE really hooked me, even had me thinking about it way after I finished it.
Something that rarely happens even with books/series/movies, let alone games, and DEFINITELY not with JRPGs.
SoS was pretty much fanfic level, but that's just default for that genre...

In general, Chained Echoes > SoS in all regards except graphics/animation quality.
On harder difficulties, you actually had to learn to utilize the OD meter correctly or you'll get wrecked, and not only against bosses (unless you grind, I guess, but I never do in these games).
And all of it done by a single dude, which just blows my mind.

I don't see the nostalgia bait TBH, both games have little to do with actually old titles of their genre. Other than still being JRPGs, but that's just a genre.
But if you wanna see actual nostalgia bait, I'd point at stuff like Octopath.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom