Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex 2021 GOTY - VOTE NOW!

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Tags: GOTY 2021

RPG Codex 2021 GOTY - VOTE NOW!

but first, we must ask ourselves -- what is an RPG?
A genealogy of RPGs:

H5xNOS4.jpg

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This poll shouldn't be available to non-Codex people.

this

i can't wait for the 'codex consensus' influenced by twitter randos
Somebody already made a good point why it should be public. This reminds the RPG community that RPGCodex exists and to visit it, even if only to vote. After all, 'dex is quite well known, probably more than RPGWatch, and it's important to care about our prestige - otherwise we'll fall into obscurity and eventually it will be just a few old people talking to each other (although recent years new accounts seem to be a huge decline, so it's a double-edged sword).

Though having two polls wouldn't hurt. One like this and one in a forum locked for members who are below 3 years old. It would be interesting to compare results as well.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
You couldn't possibly have curated the list down to the games that were actually relevant huh

its the same every year mate

- shit ton of useless JRPGs none heard of (cuz felipe has a fetish for them)
Yeah, I never heard about at least 2/3 of the games on the list either.

It boggles the mind that this list wasn't curated or at least separated into two categories, which would be 1.) Well known games and 2.) shit not even the Codex has ever heard of. Nobody cares about any games with just ten Steam reviews.
:lol:

It wasn't created,pepo just asked if anyone know the new rpgs in 2021,abu if don't mistake just copy pasted his list of all the steam rpgarbage that came out and thus the list wast born lol. Nobody really tried to curate it or even check out the links lol.
If you check SteamSpy, 1,9220 RPGs were released on Steam in 2021. This list has less than 10% of them. Abu's list had over 200 games, I did actually check everyone of them and removed those that had too few reviews or negative ones. The games on the list all have hundreds or even thousands of positive reviews or were made by codexers.

Also, fantadomat's poll had 37 games and people complained that stuff was missing. I did 150, now people complain that there's too much. You're all big boys, you can scroll a bit more and just skip games you don't know/like/consider an RPG.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron

this

Somebody already made a good point why it should be public. This reminds the RPG community that RPGCodex exists and to visit it, even if only to vote. After all, 'dex is quite well known, probably more than RPGWatch, and it's important to care about our prestige - otherwise we'll fall into obscurity and eventually it will be just a few old people talking to each other (although recent years new accounts seem to be a huge decline, so it's a double-edged sword).

Though having two polls wouldn't hurt. One like this and one in a forum locked for members who are below 3 years old. It would be interesting to compare results as well.
from my memory codexer poll requires DU involvement?

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
There were honestly some pretty good RPGs last year.

But some entries on this list are just ???.
Like The Forgotten City - great game, love it! But there isn't even a few grams of RPG in it. There's no builds, no stats, no levels, "combat" is against one enemy type and the whole thing takes like 5 hours to finish.
It is a more elaborate walking sim that has an actually good story, a kind-of C&C and minor gameplay attached, putting it way above others in that genre, somewhat similar to Mundaun.
But RPG? What the?!

Even Riftbreaker makes more sense in the list - it actually does have undeniable RPG parts, it's just not the main focus of the game.

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy
Remind me someone why does the Codex continue letting felipepoopoo to cast retarded polls with a retarded rating system and with retarded games that no-one gives a fuck?
Also, developers voting for their own games on twitter? Seriously? Go fuck yourself miss felipepoopoo.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Remind me someone why does the Codex continue letting felipepoopoo to cast retarded polls with a retarded rating system and with retarded games that no-one gives a fuck?
Also, developers voting for their own games on twitter? Seriously? Go fuck yourself miss felipepoopoo.
Felipepepe might have his faults, but he does contribute to 'dex.

What did you contribute?

this

Well, we could create a codex exclusive forum poll, with the top 10 or 20 results from this google poll, to see if the results actually differ.

If it does, then we could consider breaking out the pitch forks and torches to challenge the results.

:mob:

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron

this

Well, we could create a codex exclusive forum poll, with the top 10 or 20 results from this google poll, to see if the results actually differ.

If it does, then we could consider breaking out the pitch forks and torches to challenge the results.

:mob:

And make sure some newfags who joined recently, like in the last 4 years, can't vote, good idea

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Last two years that I made the poll people complained that I cut games that they liked. As I mentioned, this year we had an absurd number of new RPGs released, so now I'm giving a lot of options to see how it goes. After all, you can just not vote on what you think is not an RPG.
You are looking at the wrong complaint. The moment random people on Twitter can influence the vote, a poll can no longer be called "RPG Codex GOTY". Game companies' employees have a say in this, it's ridiculous. Even fucking RPGWatch makes his poll "private".

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Last two years that I made the poll people complained that I cut games that they liked. As I mentioned, this year we had an absurd number of new RPGs released, so now I'm giving a lot of options to see how it goes. After all, you can just not vote on what you think is not an RPG.
You are looking at the wrong complaint. The moment random people on Twitter can influence the vote, a poll can no longer be called "RPG Codex GOTY". Game companies' employees have a say in this, it's ridiculous. Even fucking RPGWatch makes his poll "private".
Do you really think there's no devs with Codex accounts? We have a lot of people with developer tags, people from Larian, inXile and Obsidian, devs like the SpaceWreck dudes posting about our threads on twitter, plus all the lurkers that don't want to reveal thenselves.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Do you really think there's no devs with Codex accounts? We have a lot of people with developer tags, people from Larian, inXile and Obsidian, devs like the SpaceWreck dudes posting about our threads on twitter, plus all the lurkers that don't want to reveal thenselves.

The outrage about twitter is about the symbolic meaning. Yes, in practise this is likely good for the poll, as it gets more hiatus codexians to vote than it draws unrelated tards, as the codex is not very well known.
The problem is the symbolic meaning, as the codex prides itself as being a super secret enclave of prestigious taste, and sharing our polls on twitter is metaphorically opening the gates to the barbarians.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom