Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex 2014 Role-Playing Game of the Year Awards

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
But no NEO Scavenger.... :M

Stelcio

Savant
DA:I in third place and Risen 3 in the top 10? If that had happened in a Codex poll, we'd actually have something to complain about.

I'm not speaking about voters base, I am speaking about method of conducting the poll - the exact thing Onholyservicebound is complaining about regarding Codex awards.

Deleted member 7219

Watch had their own poll and here are their GOTYs for 2014:

1 Divinity: Original Sin
2 Wasteland 2
3 Dragon Age: Inquisition
4 Shadowrun: Dragonfall
5 Might & Magic X: Legacy
6 Lords of Xulima
7 Risen 3: Titan Lords
8 Legend of Grimrock 2
9 Dark Souls II
10 South Park: The Stick of Truth

DA: Inquisition above Shadowrun: Dragonfall?

I thought the Codex was low for not putting Wasteland 2 in the top three, but that right there is a truly despicable act.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I'm a member on both sites so:
If you merge the Watch and the Codex top 10 you get something like this:

(01) Divinity: Original Sin;10;10;20
(02) Shadowrun: Dragonfall;7;9;16
(03) Wasteland 2;9;6;15
(04) Dragon Age: Inquisition;8;0;8
(05) Legend of Grimrock 2;3;5;8
(06) Neo Scavenger;0;8;8
(07) Heroine's Quest;0;7;7
(08) Might & Magic X: Legacy;6;0;6
(09) Lords of Xulima;5;1;6
(10) Risen 3: Titan Lords;4;0;4
(11) Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky;0;4;4
(12) Valkyria Chronicles;0;3;3
(13) Dark Souls II;2;0;2
(14) Tales of Maj'Eyal;0;2;2
(15) South Park: The Stick of Truth;1;0;1

which is a cool list for my taste ... just missing Blackguards.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Don't keep us waiting.
Both need massive patching before I even begin to start. inXile has 2 1/2 weeks before I'll consider them late (they'll probably be late), Bioware has a long way to go.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
I'm a member on both sites so:
If you merge the Watch and the Codex top 10 you get something like this:

(01) Divinity: Original Sin;10;10;20
(02) Shadowrun: Dragonfall;7;9;16
(03) Wasteland 2;9;6;15
(04) Dragon Age: Inquisition;8;0;8
(05) Legend of Grimrock 2;3;5;8
(06) Neo Scavenger;0;8;8
(07) Heroine's Quest;0;7;7
(08) Might & Magic X: Legacy;6;0;6
(09) Lords of Xulima;5;1;6
(10) Risen 3: Titan Lords;4;0;4
(11) Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky;0;4;4
(12) Valkyria Chronicles;0;3;3
(13) Dark Souls II;2;0;2
(14) Tales of Maj'Eyal;0;2;2
(15) South Park: The Stick of Truth;1;0;1

which is a cool list for my taste ... just missing Blackguards.

Can't polish a Dragon turd.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Shadorwun: Hong Kong
DA:I is a party action adventure with some MMO-, sandbox- and CRPG- mechanics and not a full fledged CRPG, but it is fun to play IMHO. Good exploring, lore and level design.

Last edited:
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
DA:I is a party action adventure with some MMO-, sandbox- and CRPG- mechanics and not full fledged CRPG, but it is fun to play IMHO. Good exploring, lore and level design.

Dragon Age lore has its strong points but little by little and bit by bit the darkness that made it interesting has been seeping out. Now apparently the Qunari are an :incloosive:group that assigns transsexuals to their gender of choice (which doesn't square at all with Sten's commentary and incredulous reactions to Leliana fighting), a society that mostly tolerates or celebrates sexual deviance, and a world suffering the biggest infestation of demons in centuries yet fewer instances of demonic possession than previous games, less Darkspawn taint turning good people in ghouls, no prisoners getting cooked alive in their cages when you return to Ostragar, etc. The morally cloudy haze that used to hang over the franchise has cleared.

How can exploration be good every area consists of you doing exactly the same things? Find mirror fragments, solve constellation puzzles, and close portals.

Fuck, playing it makes DAII feel like a good game in comparison.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Dragon Age lore has its strong points but little by little and bit by bit the darkness that made it interesting has-

As a survivor of DAI - I would very much prefer if they can just take out the demon from the whole game completely and focus on the Inquisition as an organization in general - and how it interacts with existing kingdoms. C'mon - the whole game I've been playing X-COM: Demon Defense Force - it's fucking pathetic when I should've been knocking down mayor's office, accuse him of apostasy and had his whole household hanged in the town square as an example on how not to tolerate a bunch of shamanistic mumbo jumbo in the name of the Chantry whose Divine is about to be assassinated by my Left Hand. And that Left Hand is giving me a hand job at the same time underneath the War Table.

Demons, you say? Well... perhaps a contribution of several gold and a good portion of army can convince me to deal with it.
Errant wardens? Capture their leaders, breed them as needed.
Venatoris? Kill. Them. All.
Qunari? Kill them and feed them to the pigs. They're animals. Iron Bull will be eliminated and his death will be blamed to the Venatori - his mercenary will then be absorbed under the Inquisition.
The Circle? Reform them under the Inquistion Elite Penance Squad.
Fucking Dalish can stay the fuck out. If they dare tread within established kingdom territory, they better have a good reason and a big chest of tribute to buy a safe passage... back home. Alive. With no missing limbs. A lack of tribute implies quartering.

That - is what 'Inquisition' should've been about.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

I voted in this poll for the games that I have played and it's only a minority. The same applies to most voters, I presume. That means the best games are the most popular decent games. BTW. I would change my vote now if I could, I shouldn't have voted WL2, for one.

The poll is extremely unreliable and just shows what games are most played, not the ones that are the best.

dukeofwhales

Cipher
So for some stupid reason I read this entire thread, and all I have to say for it is that watching idiots who clearly know nothing about statistics try and argue about statistical methodology is equal parts funny and incredibly fucking frustrating.

Good job felipepepe.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Oh boy, here we go.

I have not played South Park, but South Park game = shit. Like there's even an alternative.

'sup Drog

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Quick, tell me the difference between playing that game and clicking the play/pause button at random intervals on a South Park episode.

Fuck off, konjob. Go back to begging. Your taste is shit in everything, anyway.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom