Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ron Gilbert's 'The Cave' on Gaben's Wonder Store

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Story... Well you know that there is none. All you have are collectible Psychonauts style pictures, except in Psychonauts they provided an additional insight into living talking characters and here they are all that you'll ever have.
Fair review, except this part. Those collectibles tell the story of the characters, and every character specific level gives us additional info about the character's disturbing past. It's kinda minimalistic, yes, but there are storis in the game. 7 small stories for the 7 characters. Storytelling can be other than having a long storyarc which starts at the beginning and finishes at the end of the game.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
So they put the story into achievement farming/item hunt. Gotcha.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
You don't have to farm or hunt the story bits, because these wall paintings are in your way. You have to run through the game blindfolded to miss them.

gromit

Arcane
It's been sitting on my HD but I haven't played the game yet -- and am not expecting anything other than "fun." All told, I don't mind financially contributing to someone who entertained the shit out of me when I was a kid, and in the current gaming climate I feel almost honor-bound to support his experiments.

Anything made with some passion is probably going to beat out a solid 95% of what I could be playing instead. That goes even for things I know aren't "for me" and will admittedly never play. Great gameplay is rare, passable gameplay more common than admitted here, and cohesion, attention to detail, and charm (of one type or another) usually get the final say with me. I can play almost anything, as long as it's not plain fucking hollow (or the mechanics and engine behavior are explicitly awful, which is honestly pretty rare -- at least in games we'd notice.)

This strikes me as the kind of game which could use some level-headed dissenters 'round these parts, so if I do indeed enjoy it, expect analysis. Otherwise, expect a one-word reply; likely a cuss.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom