Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ron Gilbert and Tim Schafer reunited

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/112/1123575p1.html

Famed Monkey Island creator and recent Death Spank designer Ron Gilbert has joined Tim Schafer at Double Fine Productions. The two are reunited after developing several titles in the 90s, including The Secret of Monkey Island and Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge.

Gilbert is developing a new project, separate from the four previously announced titles by the studio, including Costume Quest, published by THQ.

"It's an idea that I've been batting around for many, many years," Gilbert told Kotaku. "I've been talking to Tim over the last couple of months about it and it sort of percolated back up.

"It's very different than DeathSpank, it's a bit of a departure from that. It's going in a very interesting direction. Fans of those old adventure games will like it," he added.

Gilbert left developer Hothead Games in April as production on Death Spank came to an end. The game's sequel, DeathSpank: Thongs of Virtue, was released last week.

Now that's probably a truckload of :incline: Let's hope something cool comes out of it.

Eyeball

Arcane
Only if they go back to actually making adventure games, as the mechanics of both men's non-adventures have been clunky. I loved Psychonauts to death, but the actual control scheme and combat was pretty meh.

I recommend the Special Edition version of ME2, by the way - it has developer commentary in some of the scenes, and I'm enough of a fanboy to really enjoy that sort of thing in a video game. It also has non-shitty artwork, unlike MI1SE, and the fantastic voice acting of Dominic Armato and Earl Bowen.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
The only better news I could possibly hear from Double Fine Studios would be the announcement of Psychonauts 2.

DriacKin

Arbiter
Pfft. I'll take an original IP over a sequel any day of the week. Especially a promising one like this.

DriacKin

Arbiter
Eyeball said:
Only if they go back to actually making adventure games, as the mechanics of both men's non-adventures have been clunky. I loved Psychonauts to death, but the actual control scheme and combat was pretty meh.

Agreed. Psychonauts may have been one of the best games of the last decade, but it still pales in comparison to Schaffer's previous work (Full Throttle, Day of the Tentacle, etc...)

Also, let it be said that Schaffer is a vastly superior writer to MCA.

Eyeball

Arcane
Schafer really is a weird genius - I own no consoles so I could not play Brutal Legend, but godDAMN, what a fucking awesome setting!

The actual gameplay, again, looked pretty uninteresting, mix of a poorly balanced hack-and-slash and a Sacrifice ripoff, but the game just oozed sheer STYLE. Despite the having the fat unfunny cocksucker Jack Black as the lead character.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
I'll support Double Fine by buying their first downloadable game "Costume Quest", even though I never bought a game online for console before.

Besides, DF is now done with making big games, because humor just isn't worth a big budget in the eyes of publishers.

Currently playing Brütal Legend anyways, which is, despite weak gameplay, really awesome!

Zeus

Cipher
I'm so excited, I just can't hide it. I'm about to lose control, and I think I like it.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Oh, is Costume Quest console only, too? Jesus Christ. I'm not going to get excited about this until they announce a PC version of whatever it is...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom