Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rome: Total War Remastered

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
A lot of these mods that claim to be "historically accurate" are just using meaningless buzzwords, the team are frequently just regular morons who like reading wikipedia articles and watch Kings and Generals/Invicta/Shadiversity too much.

dont want to contradict your obvious historical expertise, but you should get your facts straight- both eb 1 and 2 were developed and released (eb 1 in 2008 and 2014 for original release of 2) before youtube videos and wiki articles.

both YT and Wikipedia are older than 2008. And pop-sci history is older than that

A horse of course

A lot of these mods that claim to be "historically accurate" are just using meaningless buzzwords, the team are frequently just regular morons who like reading wikipedia articles and watch Kings and Generals/Invicta/Shadiversity too much.

dont want to contradict your obvious historical expertise, but you should get your facts straight- both eb 1 and 2 were developed and released (eb 1 in 2008 and 2014 for original release of 2) before youtube videos and wiki articles.

I don't want to contradict your obvious autism, but I never specified EB.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

Don't bother Ed, razvedchiki is a little bitch EB fanboy who ignores half the forum and lives in his own fantasy realm.

Let him cling to his delusions of EB being the perfect historically accurate mod.

Shrimp

Arbiter
Did Feral ever explain why they added merchants to the remaster?
I was never really fond of them in vanilla Medieval 2 since I often felt they weren't worth the effort (long travel time, low return, high chance of just getting disabled by other merchants) but I have also played mods where they were essential to ensuring that you'd be able to make money at the end of every turn. When I look at random footage from the remaster it seems like they won't be too useful in that game since most resources seem to result in a meagre single digit amount of denarii every turn. At least based on the resources's info message when the players hover their cursor over them. Of course there's also a chance that recruiting/using merchants has a chance to give various traits to governors, but I imagine we'll have to wait for the game's release to inspect the trait triggers.

Since merchants weren't present in the original game I'm hoping that the fact they were able to be included at all means the remastered version supports adding completely new agent types. That'd be great news for mods.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Since merchants weren't present in the original game I'm hoping that the fact they were able to be included at all means the remastered version supports adding completely new agent types. That'd be great news for mods.

Maybe, but I suspect they've just copied the implementation from Medieval 2.

Feral have had access to both codebases for years and probably can make that sort of change relatively easily.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron

Don't bother Ed, razvedchiki is a little bitch EB fanboy who ignores half the forum and lives in his own fantasy realm.

As long as its not his own magical realm, evrything ahould be in order.

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer

Feral have had access to both codebases for years and probably can make that sort of change relatively easily.

It may actually be that this is the Medieval 2 engine and that it was easier to add merchants than it was to remove them as Adding them just requires you change the art asset but removing them means actually going into the code and turning things off.
I mean lets face it no one asked for this feature.

Dwarvophile

Liturgist

Also EB1 had the most balanced and fun battles : gestion of fatigue, speed and moral was perfect. This mod really shined in multiplayer (it had a small but dedicated communinity).

razvedchiki

Erudite
the combat sytem was overall more snappy in eb1 due to romes battle engine, also the phalanxes worked perfectly (well ok they insta turned like wielding lightsabers if they were attacked on the back).

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron

It may actually be that this is the Medieval 2 engine and that it was easier to add merchants than it was to remove them as Adding them just requires you change the art asset but removing them means actually going into the code and turning things off.
I mean lets face it no one asked for this feature.

That actually makes a lot of sense, as it would mean all the features like non-clone armies are implemented from the m2tw code base.

Also Feral has done a x64 port of Medieval 2 for Mac, so they may well have used that port as the basis for this remaster.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
So why does the remaster require 70gb of space?

Just checked and my Alexander folder w/ EB is less than 5. I mean jesus.

Just checked and my WHII folder is less than 60.

Last edited:

sser

Arcane
Developer
I'll just listen to the soundtrack on Youtube for free.

gerey

Arcane
Zionist Agent
i have a theory that 80 percent of that 70 gb is uncompressed videos
Either that, or uncompressed audio files for the different languages, because God forbid they gave you the ability to just download whatever languages you want - instead of the whole steaming pile of shit. Can't even tell if this is just incompetence or malicious intent.

Then again, this is a well-known way to "deter" piracy from the industry - though only actual costumers suffer, pirates just remove all superfluous languages and downsample the videos and release a superior version.

Shrimp

Arbiter
70GB for Rome 1 sounds like absolute insanity. Surely that's just a placeholder?

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
70GB for Rome 1 sounds like absolute insanity. Surely that's just a placeholder?
That's actually not that crazy when put in perspective, AoE2DE is 30GB alone
probably a combo of 4k stuff and audio

AOE2 DE is mostly the textures I believe. I guess your texture sizes are gonna be pretty big if your whole game is 2D and using high res textures.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Either that, or uncompressed audio files for the different languages, because God forbid they gave you the ability to just download whatever languages you want - instead of the whole steaming pile of shit. Can't even tell if this is just incompetence or malicious intent.

Then again, this is a well-known way to "deter" piracy from the industry - though only actual costumers suffer, pirates just remove all superfluous languages and downsample the videos and release a superior version.

Even the hackers known as Russia have download speeds that make 70gb a minor hassle at best these days.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Even the hackers known as Russia have download speeds that make 70gb a minor hassle at best these days.

Yeah but HDD space is a real issue if you wanna have more than just 5 games.

Sarissofoi

Arbiter
BTW
Anyone hear any news about any DRM other than Steamworks?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom