Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Romances in RPG

Lesifoere

Liturgist
I'm not photogenic.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Lesifoere said:
And I explained why I don't care enough to launch into an explanation. My "there're plenty of white males who want the privileges without the responsibilities" is no more insulting than Chefe's "give me a break, there's no good feminist anymore than there is a good nazi". There, I hope I've helped you overcome your lack of reading comprehension skills.
There were some arguments why feminism is not so good btw. You could prove it otherwise.
But that was your choice to follow the "insult back" line.
And by the end of our discussion you almost learned how to post arguments and not that classic "you're stupid". That's good for you.
*sigh* but as I said - almost.

Mefi

Prophet
Patron
waiting for a train at Perdido Street Station
Lesifoere said:
What if I turn out to be his sister?

IP chk plz

:P

----

Still unsure what people want in an RPG with regards to 'romance'? Do you really want to larp along with the hero/heroine as they try to get further than first base? Cut-scenes of the bedroom required?

What would actually be quite nice is to see a female writer take on this subject in an RPG rather than a man. A good female writer goes without saying. Think of almost every RPG and you'll see the love interest is a whore or a virgin. By men for men, and even men find it a tad boring once their hormones calm down a bit. Perhaps another issue is the target demographic of RPGs. Teenage boys? It's not true that we are (or at least most of us heh) but perhaps the industry is still stuck thinking about us in that way. Tits and blood - guaranteed success?

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
I just want some sort of loyalty system for my RPG.
Romance is just another type of loyalty. It doesn't always have to be romance, if you really need romance in your game go play dating game, not a RPG which 75% of the involves killing foozles and fed-ex for EXP.

MetalCraze

Arcane
RK47, what if...

Romance always would be a nice addition to any "RPG which 75% of the involves killing foozles and fed-ex for EXP". But only if it's not forced on you like in most bioware games.
Which means you even won't know that such feature is there unless you try to romance.

China

Novice
gosh, the feminist underground.
Actually that wasn't a compliment. And that wasn't an insult. That was a thought about female rpg players, and this thought was already proven more than three times here. Aggressive - check, feminine - check. Probably was wrong with cunning. This was predictable though - I stated some arguments - in response I received "teh l33t troll".

I hope you aren't referring to me as "l33t troll." I wasn't even defensive or insulting. Your comment just seemed to me to be a rather odd statement. I still have no idea where the feminine descriptor even comes from. Now, myself, I am rather feminine, but I have no idea how you can tell that over message boards.

I've heard something that Bioware planned to make Juhani a lesbian romancing object, but in the end decided to cut this content. May be it's just a rumor, but I think Juhani acts something like that when the game is played by female PC.

Yes, that is what I was referring to. I liked that the romance wasn't as explicit and over the top as Carth's, for example, but was still very hinted at. It becomes extremely obvious that Juhani's a lesbian, and it also seems very likely that she is interested in you, as a female PC. Rather than the big dramatic romance conclusions towards the end, if you are a female PC, she just basically tells you that she cares for you. If I recall correctly, you can respond that the feeling is mutual, and she says you'll sort things out after the quest is over.

so how was playing Fallout with female PC?

Well, I enjoyed it. I think it's a good game no matter what gender you play. But all the differences for females fit in just fine for me. I like games that don't try to say that everyone in the world views men and women as perfectly equal, since, unfortunately or not, the real world isn't like that. Fallout takes place in what is definitely a lawless society, so the prostitution certainly fit in for me. And in real life, women are often able to use their bodies as tools to achieve an end, so I thought it realistic that you had that option as a female PC, but at the same time weren't forced to use it.

English isn't my first language, either.

Really? I feel I ought to be rather ashamed right now, as English is my first language, and I feel you've articulate yourself considerably better than I have done.

MetalCraze

Arcane
I hope you aren't referring to me as "l33t troll." I wasn't even defensive or insulting. Your comment just seemed to me to be a rather odd statement. I still have no idea where the feminine descriptor even comes from. Now, myself, I am rather feminine, but I have no idea how you can tell that over message boards.
That was a shorter "interpretation" of how another member on this forums called me after I didn't place commas in some sentence.

info about female pcs in fallout
thanks. Fallout is always deeper than it seems. May be I will replay it... this way. Seems interesting.

info about juhani
that's what I actually want in RPGs if there is going to be some romancing. Unforced and unobvious romances until player decide to go "romancing" way by himself (herself).

btw I tried Galatea. Didn't went into this "game" deeply yet, but so far it is interesting because it's so non-linear but somewhat disappointing because it ends too fast.

kris

Arcane
Mefi said:
Still unsure what people want in an RPG with regards to 'romance'? Do you really want to larp along with the hero/heroine as they try to get further than first base?

In the RPG vacuum here in this world I say "yes thank you" to any RPG element and wish it could be improved in further games.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
China said:
English isn't my first language, either.

Really? I feel I ought to be rather ashamed right now, as English is my first language, and I feel you've articulate yourself considerably better than I have done.

Nah, don't be. I'm studying a subject that requires me to nitpick words carefully, and perhaps putting it like that is misleading; I'm bilingual with equal fluency. Maybe more so with English, because I don't have to write papers in my first language. I just find "it's not my first language" an excuse that doesn't hold water when the person in question is trying so, so hard to come off as intellectually superior.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
skyway said:
it's a little off-topic to this thread, but still very funny when guys actually start to make fun out of the funny ignorant posts of CaptainKO :D

Isn't that the guy who wrote those terrible NWN2 FAQs?

What a fag.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Actually after reading that I remembered a question I always wanted to ask. Why Obsidian always gives the player a chance to romance only the ugliest and shittiest female characters in their NWN2 and MotB (retarded generic elf Elanee and ugly bald Saphiya) games instead of XXXL class women (stereotypical sexy 'innocent' tiefling and unusual angel Kaelyn)?

(Or probably they are thinking that rpg nerds will be satisfied with those? what a karma)

Hory

Erudite
skyway said:
Actually after reading that I remembered a question I always wanted to ask. Why Obsidian always gives the player a chance to romance only the ugliest and shittiest female characters in their NWN2 and MotB (retarded generic elf Elanee and ugly bald Saphiya) games instead of XXXL class women (stereotypical sexy 'innocent' tiefling and unusual angel Kaelyn)
The red wizard chick isn't ugly. And there are some sexually themed lines you can say to Kaelyn, but she's supposedly too noob to understand the allusions. Oh, and Kaelyn's voice/tone is awesome.

Lumpy

Arcane
skyway said:
Actually after reading that I remembered a question I always wanted to ask. Why Obsidian always gives the player a chance to romance only the ugliest and shittiest female characters in their NWN2 and MotB (retarded generic elf Elanee and ugly bald Saphiya) games instead of XXXL class women (stereotypical sexy 'innocent' tiefling and unusual angel Kaelyn)?

(Or probably they are thinking that rpg nerds will be satisfied with those? what a karma)
Because judging a pixellated character by looks is plain retarded.

Cassidy

Arcane
The time spent developing those romances could for example be spent developing more quests and C&C on the general game. Better some extras quests and better gameplay than a romance written by teenage minded and to teenage minded I say.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Cassidy said:
The time spent developing those romances could for example be spent developing more quests and C&C on the general game. Better some extras quests and better gameplay than a romance written by teenage minded and to teenage minded I say.

Well written romances can be good, similar to well written quests. The writing is the important thing there. If the writing sucks, the whole romance will suck, if it's good, it won't.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Lumpy said:
Because judging a pixellated character by looks is plain retarded.

Yeah, that's like, totally superficial and immature. It's the personality that counts, amirite?

MetalCraze

Arcane
yep judging pixelated character by personality is lot cooler.

edit> though lumpy, your sarcastic response was an utter failure. Because nowhere in my post I judged characters by looks. Only by how -generic- and not too originally they were modeled and written.

Baphomet

Scholar
If the romance options lead to interesting choices, subquests, and character development I'm all for it despite having a horrible case of teh ghey. That said I hate crpg romances because they're aimed at taking the edge off an unwanted virginity. I vaguely recall a user made Oblivion mod that adds a HAWT MAID romance to one of your properties. What a sad joke.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom