Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Roguey vs the Grognards Thread

imweasel

Combat in Skyrim is simply garbage, just like everything else in the game. Except for the "awesome" hiking of course.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
Especially in a single player game.. I understand in a MMO or something balance needs to be perfect.. but in a single player game.. half the fun of beating the game on Extremely Hard Iron Man Mode is finding those unbalanced perks.

:argh:

You've never experienced a proper challenge in that case, or are not a fan of one if so.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Guns will always feel like shit when damage is as abstracted as in New Vegas. Shooting a realistic human character in the head and them not flinching has not been acceptable in FPS games for a long time. It was presented as an FPS, and compared to contemporary games like Rage, Metro 2033, MW3, and Halo Reach, NV is painfully unresponsive. Bows were not very good feeling in Skyrim either, but there are basically no games that did bows right so it doesn't suffer in comparison."

I swear when I played NV it wasn't 1st person so how the FUCK is it a FPS which means FIRST person shooter. WTF!?!

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
If you're not playing New Vegas in FPP, you're doing it wrong. Further reinforced by the fact the TPP has little effort put into it, it's just tacked on to appeal to TPP-only manboons.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
No. FPV is stupid, non immersive, garbage, and only piece of shit Bethesda lovers like it.

I'm not sure if tying a game's age to its quality is something we should be doing in a site mainly dedicated to old games
You didn't read Josh's quote did you :smug:

Dang it, Josh!

*canned laughter*

tbh he's just saying that definitions change with time, and that while Wizardry 1 may have been considered a "full blown RPG" before, he considers it too basic to put alongside what has shown up since then, instead it would be a very specific subset - "dungeon crawler" or whatever. He doesn't say "it was kool b4 but it it sux now". We can't come up with a proper definition of REAL ROLE PLAYING GAME either, so I can't blame him for having his own.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
No. FPV is stupid, non immersive, garbage, and only piece of shit Bethesda lovers like it.

Yellow_Baboon,_Tanzania.jpg

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
Boring, ugly, shit story, shit combat?

NV, like all the Fallouts, has hundreds of subplots. Some of them very interesting. Yes the main plot line isn't great but there's plenty worthwhile writing in there.

Ugly? Better grab the latest AAA if you consider this to be a valid criticism. Bitch do you even game?

Shit combat. the combat, like System Shock 2, if taken alone would be shit. However it's the cumulative whole that makes the combat good. More could definitely be done here to make the combat be engaging and require more strategy, but aren't you the VTM:B fanboy, a game which features some of the shittiest combat ever (yet other aspects of the game to some degree make up for this major downside)?

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
Reasoning, people. It's what sane, rational people give. Let's hear it.

Been down this road many times, and don't feel like going down it again. Especially when defenders of shit games merely attempt the "exhaust other party" debating tactic (also known as the Khor method).

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
I'd rather not waste my time prying open the eyes of blind old men anyhow. G'day.

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Let's see.
NV had:

An utterly ridiculous and retarded villain (that fucking Legion is so Mad Max 3 ... but without the good part, being self-aware about how trashy it is)

A desert landscape that's boring to tears. It was a very very stupid decision to not set it in the ruins of the old civilization and go bonkers with anthropology (let civilizations/communities after the fall change into something weirder than in New Vegas). While the rebuilding of civilization and the frontier theme might be an interesting deviation on paper, it clearly isn't in the game, even FO3 had a better setting (don't care if some details don't make sense, too bad it was such a fail as an RPG). I love to dig around in ruins and play hobby archeologist. Maybe a little more lore about the time before and after the war would have helped to get me invested in New Vegas, dunno. But really, that desert sandbox just sux.
VATS which is cancer. :killitwithfire:

Also I made the mistake to play it on XBawks and there is no way you can successfully play a sniper with that shit controller, those Legion assassins just put you down like a dog.

I though it had good C&C though, and the dialogues weren't as retarded as in FO3 at least. I think it was more difficult too. Still didn't play through it, was too frustrated after dying about 20 times in the assassins encounter. At that point it dawned on me that this build I planned was utter shit (I even invested some points and stuff in guns and had a backup shotgun, didn't help) and that I won't have any sort of fun if I keep on. And since the setting and story didn't exactly draw me in, NPCs were pretty much forgettable run of the mill questgivers, and gunplay and everything else was not much of an improvement over FO3 I didn't bother.

... Damn, why do I like to pretend that this game isn't a turd? :?
I had much much more fun with Skyrim which isn't exactly a great game either.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom