Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Roguelikes

Stalinhater

Educated
Hello Codex. I just want some suggestions for easy roguelikes to try out before I sink my teeth into the likes of ADOM or Nethack. Thanks in advance :)

Stalinhater

Educated
I've tried some of those, but I'll definitely look into the others, thanks. :salute:

Albers

Educated
Why not start with Rogue? It's fairly simple, maybe not easy, but simple. Or try Moria one of (if not the) first roguelikes.

Multi-headed Cow

DoomRL's a good one to start with. Really easy to learn the basics, but still a reasonably challenging and well made roguelike. Hell, it's not just good for starting with, it's a good roguelike and game period.

Basically my only 3 roguelikes are Nethack, DoomRL, and Dwarf Fortress. And Spelunky, if you want to consider it a roguelike. In fact, check that out too.

7hm

Scholar
Multi-headed Cow said:
DoomRL's a good one to start with. Really easy to learn the basics, but still a reasonably challenging and well made roguelike. Hell, it's not just good for starting with, it's a good roguelike and game period.

Basically my only 3 roguelikes are Nethack, DoomRL, and Dwarf Fortress. And Spelunky, if you want to consider it a roguelike. In fact, check that out too.

Spelunky is awesome and somewhat roguelike-y but that's a pretty involved argument right there ... You should check it out regardless of whether or not it's a roguelike.

DCSS is by far my favorite. Powder is ok (I got it for DS, it's a lot better than the NetHack for DS and is thus the best roguelike option for that particular platform).

Tycn

Savant
No reason not to start with Stone Soup. It has plenty of depth but is quite intuitive and easy to learn.

reaven

Educated
I would begin with stone soup, even if its hard to complete (which good rl isnt?) it has a lot of variety and the beginning isnt that hard with a dwarf fighter or stuff like that.

SkeleTony

Augur
Tower of Darkness(http://www.proudft.com)

It is a graphical, party-based roguelike. Only ten levels(well, you have to make it down to the tenth, kill some demons, snatch something and then make it back up to win) but has some pretty cool features and is not as hard as some of the suggestions above.

Also features Tom's classic combat system(can wield two weapons and aim at specific body parts).

Once you get through that or one equally quick to learn and master then you can't go wrong with Stone soup, Vulture's Eye Nethack, etc.

ZangbandTK is probably the best of the *band variants and if you can find it is highly recommended(only downside is that the levels are not static. They change whenever you leave and re-enter them). This one features the classic David Gervias tileset as well.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom