Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Rogue Legacy

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
This game is in no way a classic RPG. This thread should be banished to the relevant subforum.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I agree, this game is quite the hybrid. I could argue mainstream RPG, but honestly I think this belongs in general gaming.

uaciaut

Augur
I played differently: I stayed at +1 to grind for a long long while before I moved to +20. That's what I mean by mid game. Once I was tired of grinding I started just playing to see how many new game + I could go. I got to 20 before I burned out largely using the strategy you outlined. The lich is worthless after a couple of new games but very useful during the grinding phase.

What did you play for the later levels/games?

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I played differently: I stayed at +1 to grind for a long long while before I moved to +20. That's what I mean by mid game. Once I was tired of grinding I started just playing to see how many new game + I could go. I got to 20 before I burned out largely using the strategy you outlined. The lich is worthless after a couple of new games but very useful during the grinding phase.

What did you play for the later levels/games?

assassin for hiding or someone with timestop (archmage is best due to huge mana pool) to quickly scout for boss rooms. I don't usually fight unless grabbing a faerie chest requires it.
Any (assassin works best) for eyeball since his projectiles are easy to dodge.
Paladin for other bosses (you can kill all except the eyeball by mostly turning into a statue and sitting there). Statue doesn't work against final boss though, you have to beat him the old fashioned way.

kazgar

Arcane
Someone said I should grab this, cos its currently $5 during steam sale. Does the smaller price bump up its value? There's been patches, have the helped?

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It is a good game, IMO.
But really becomes a grindfest later on, when the upper stages are just incredibly difficult.

Or I just suck at platformers. Probably that.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I like the game, it really isn't as grindy as some seem to think, you can substitute in a lot of skill for levels, or bruteforce it if you're shit(like me).

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Played it for a couple of hours just now, for every thing it does well, it seems to do another thing badly.

This game does nothing but irritate me, which is not a good thing. So I'm just gonna pass on this and leave it well alone.

Yeah, you'll suck at the beginning since you don't have skills, equipment or classes. It gets better once you unlock the Architect. He lets you play the same castle layout again with a new character, which is more helpful than it sounds since you keep the explored map and you get a second (and third, fourth...) chance at those green chests (which contain skill runes) that require you to fulfill a condition to reach them. To unlock him (and other useful stuff) as fast as possible, I suggest you make "gold runs" with your first few characters - avoid enemies and go as deep into the castle as you can, collecting anything on the way that doesn't require you to risk taking a hit. That way you'll get the money to buy necessary upgrades for the next characters much faster than "playing normally" (which often leads you to die with little gold in your pocket, preventing you from buying anything useful and thus preventing you from actually progressing)

I'd suggest you keep at it a little longer, but if you really can't stand it...

Last edited:

ColCol

Arcane
I liked it and beat it. Yet, the game is too grindy. The average play will not be able to substitute skills for levels. Also, I did not like the fact that the average run in the game was basically aimed at just getting as much gold as possible and then dying.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom