Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Road Gangs - Post-Apocalyptic Vehicular RPG

Personally, I think that people who can't do good looking more advanced graphics should use much simpler 8-bit graphics like in Autoduel or Laser Squad as it's easier to get aesthetic looks. It's much less mainstream, though.

Agreed. And yes, this game should have used such graphics instead of what they have now.

Why would good graphics be a feature of just mainstream cRPGs? Especially that they often have worse graphics than games of previous generations?
To me, Exile 2 has much better graphics than any next-gen game with blurred textures, because it's graphics are sharp.

All this proves to me is that you are not one of the people my rant was aimed at. The next genners will stare at your post with horror in their eyes.

reaven

Educated
It even uses GTA car sprites, it has a unfinished aspect like using temporally sprites.
I wouldn't pay a penny for something done so unprofessionally.
If you can't do graphical stuff for shit, hire someone that knows you greedy fuck.

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
Project: Eternity
Reconite said:
$25 seems like a bit much for something that looks like it was made in Game Maker. :lol:

Torque Game Builder actually. I had to kill the demo in task manager because the game's display settings aren't compatible with my 'device' & that's what I saw in description.

I'll be checking the game out again if there's a fix that addresses the display issue.

Retro-remake indies unite :salute:

PS - I used GM for Underworld so I :decline: that comment.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Blackadder said:
I shouldn't bother though. Typical Codex decliners that rush out to buy the next Mass Effect or Oblivion (or even waste bandwidth). Absolutely pathetic.

Tell you what, I'll act like a true Codexer and pirate it. :M

Charles-cgr said:
Retro remakes cannot (and shouldn't even try imo) to compete with mainstream titles like the ones mentionned above because they don't stand a chance to get the exposure from portals that small studios can get. They (we) address a much smaller crowd. People that aren't in that crowd wouldn't even buy the games for $5, simply because they have zero interest in them.

Fair enough. Although the problem is if you're trying to appeal specifically to that audience it is that same audience who will be even more demanding in terms of what the game delivers.

MisterStone

Arcane
Having played the demo for 15 minutes or so, I can say that the ugly graphics are perhaps the least of the game's problems. I don't know what these people were thinking, unless maybe it was "If four people who are really really jonesing for a new Roadwars game buy this, then we gets $100!!! Oh boy!"

Seriously, if this was an alpha release of a game I'd support the developer and offer my encouragement. But releasing this as a final product at that price tag is a disgrace.

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
Metro said:
Fair enough. Although the problem is if you're trying to appeal specifically to that audience it is that same audience who will be even more demanding in terms of what the game delivers.

Absolutely. And oftentimes those demands will be contradictory. So even in that small crowd it will be impossible to please everyone. Hence once more the obligation to price higher (within the limits of reason of course).

In the end I hope Steve listens enough to feedback to make his game better (as far as I'm concerned a game that runs on my not-so-old PC would be a good start), but not too much because it is the surest route to losing his mind, and he won't necessarily end up with a much better game for it.

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
MisterStone said:
Seriously, if this was an alpha release of a game I'd support the developer and offer my encouragement. But releasing this as a final product at that price tag is a disgrace.

The current version is 1.27, so it isn't a final product but one still undergoing improvements.

My guess is he hasn't spotted this thread yet. Tell him your gripes on his forum and see if he addresses them. I don't know the guy so I can't say he will or will not.

This just gives me a very strong sense of déjà vu from a few months ago when UW 1.0 came out. I know where the guy's coming from. He doesn't have enough perspective on his work to see its flaws (or how badly they are perceived by others).

I wish I had more to offer but as of now I still can't get the thing to run on my laptop :x

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
Following email exchanges with the developper he ended up uploading a fix so it could run on my pc (encouraging).

I played about an hour and unfortunately have to agree with the criticism about combat (both vehicle and infantry). Unless I'm missing something vehicle combat seems way too passive (nothing to do with Autoduel as I imagined it, and hard to imagine with up to 20 vehicles in the same battle) and the vehicle behavior way too erratic. Infantry squads can't be selected - you're stuck with one until it is killed off...

Still I'd say the overall game has real potential. I suggested that he implement a turn-based combat system (just my opinion though). Something along the lines of the JA2 system should fit just right and shouldn't be overly difficult to implement. Visibility on number of tires, crew members, on-board weapons (...) would make the tactical decisions more relevant...

And those vehicles have to stop rolling over rubble like it isn't even there...

If he's responsive to feedback I'll certainly find myself buying the game. I do have real good memories of Roadwar 2K.

MisterStone

Arcane
I appreciate what the man is doing here, but it just seems too spotty of a release and the price is too high. I hope he sort of learns the ropes about indie development from this and makes a superior version.

Mackerel

Augur
Definitely needs the ability to control the vehicle movement, I had a flat-bed truck who decimated half of my vehicles by driving straight through them on it's way to attack an enemy. The ability to decide exactly how much of each resource you wish to pick up would helpful, and perhaps the ability to leave a cache in each city, like in Roadwar 2000.

Elzair

Cipher
It looks like an Autoduel clone.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom