Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Riven remake

El Presidente

Arcane
Steam page for the remake is up

Looks pretty and faithful but what's with this stupid subtitle

Anyways please don't suck :negative:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I'll cautiously fap for now (I did add this to my wishlist). Since it shows Cyan actually developing this, this at least has piqued my interest.

Martyr

Arcane
ugh. Riven hasn't aged nearly enough for a remake to be necessary. imo people who might have trouble with the navigation and play style of the original or lack the patience to overcome their difficulty are not the target audience anyway. Cyan should rather work on something new instead of developing pointless remakes.

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy
Cyan already worked on something new and they fucked it up, it's better to retire with a good remake than with more mediocre shit.

Martyr

Arcane
Cyan already worked on something new and they fucked it up, it's better to retire with a good remake than with more mediocre shit.
Yeah, Obduction was well.... Obduction. I'm still curious what they do with this.
didn't you like Obduction? :eek:
I felt like it wasn't on the same level as Myst or Riven, but it kept me well entertained for the duration of 2 playthroughs over the years. on the other hand there are the countless Myst remakes that I haven't touched since the first one. I've played the original multiple times, I don't need the same thing over again but with shiny graphics.
same with Riven. I've replayed that in 2021 and was amazed at how little it has aged. the added content of the remake does indeed sound intriguing, but not enough that it makes me want to buy it. :?

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy
Yeah, Obduction was well.... Obduction. I'm still curious what they do with this.
didn't you like Obduction? :eek:
I felt like it wasn't on the same level as Myst or Riven, but it kept me well entertained for the duration of 2 playthroughs over the years. on the other hand there are the countless Myst remakes that I haven't touched since the first one. I've played the original multiple times, I don't need the same thing over again but with shiny graphics.
same with Riven. I've replayed that in 2021 and was amazed at how little it has aged. the added content of the remake does indeed sound intriguing, but not enough that it makes me want to buy it. :?
Obduction had its problems but it wasn't a bad game overall, I posted my thoughts about it on the fpp adventure thread, I was talking about Firmament.

I don't disagree on how little Riven has aged, but when it comes to Riven I'll accept anything the Millers throw at me like a starving dog.

After all, we got 158 remakes of the first game, a 3D remake of their magnum opus will not bring the end of the world.

Also don't forget that Robin is 57 and Rand 64, I prefer to see them retire with something decent than to desecrate their career with more Firmaments.

El Presidente

Arcane
This game's biggest sin is that it'll most certainly replace the actors for awful 3D models just like they did with Myst's remake. After tons of complaints Cyan patched the option to use the original FMVs in the game, except they conveniently ignored pretty much all the endings, where you're still forced to deal with the 3D models regardless of turning the original FMVs on. The 3D brothers' bad endings are really terrible and break the whimsical/mysterious nature of the trap books really bad, as it throws you inside this little space with a huge "gap to the outside world" above your head, which makes no sense at all considering how you interact with Sirrus and Achenar when they are trapped inside them. In that regard (plus having the bonus Rime age) realMyst Masterpiece Edition is the better remake, as it manages to preserve even Atrus in his desk as a video with Rand Miller - albeit a new one they filmed just for it. Well, as a matter of fact, there are many more reasons to consider realMyst to be the superior remake, not just that. The dynamic weather and night/day cycles are sweet and a few other smaller touches, like this for example:

Achenar's rose-skull projection device in...

Myst Masterpiece:

...in realMyst:

...and finally in the newest remake where it's laughably bad, almost like they purposely wanted to insult the thing and turn it into a mockery:

We can only hope they'll keep such uh artistic changes to a minimum, preferably to zero, but we'll see. As for replacing the actors for 3D models, I expect nothing short of a trainwreck, especially in Gehn's case, which is one of the highlights of Riven.

I love Riven but I have to admit I can't feel anything watching such an utterly meaningless "treaser" devoid of any real information, without the slightest aesthetics. To me this whole project feels as if now - after they re-re-re-released a shitload of Myst remakes, every single one inferior to the original game - these fuckers will now do the same with Riven. Mark my words, for the next ten+ years you'll have your regular Riven remake every 1-2 years.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Cruel af for them to end it there LOL it's one thing that's been burning on my mind is to see if they managed to get the cart rides right. Actually looks pretty good, now just to see how they did the characters. I'm hoping that they stuck to the FMV.
It is a very good question, because there are times where people exist in the game world as opposed to being their own thing, unlike Myst. (Don't um, actually me, the person at the end can't be directly touched) This time though, you'll be able to go anywhere, which would break FMV if they allow you free movement at that time. The first time you go into the village, for instance.

Star Citizen

Learned
Cruel af for them to end it there LOL it's one thing that's been burning on my mind is to see if they managed to get the cart rides right. Actually looks pretty good, now just to see how they did the characters. I'm hoping that they stuck to the FMV.
It is a very good question, because there are times where people exist in the game world as opposed to being their own thing, unlike Myst. (Don't um, actually me, the person at the end can't be directly touched) This time though, you'll be able to go anywhere, which would break FMV if they allow you free movement at that time. The first time you go into the village, for instance.
Yeah, I mean wouldnt be impossible. Could just lock you into scenes with FMV characters like the OG did. The MYST Remakes 3D characters looked like dog water

Skinwalker

*teleports between you*
Patron
Village Idiot
Most of Riven takes place in just the Age of Riven, right? Except for the intro sequence which is in D'ni, and a few brief excursions into the Moety age, and that one world with an inhospitable alien landscape or something.

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy
Most of Riven takes place in just the Age of Riven, right? Except for the intro sequence which is in D'ni, and a few brief excursions into the Moety age, and that one world with an inhospitable alien landscape or something.

Yup, 5 interconnected islands plus Tay (the Moiety/Rebel Age), and the Age 233, the first Age that Gehn was able to write while trapped on Riven. I'm curious to see if they will expand any of those Ages.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom