Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Risen or Gothic 3 with fan patch?

1eyedking

Erudite
BOTH

I played Gothic 3 with the community patch after Risen and I liked the vast world, the imaginative spells and the general feel of it. But yeah, the writing is indeed shite when compared to Risen.

DefJam101

Arcane
Both good. Risen has better atmosphere, voice acting, and storyline (up until Ch. 3). G3 w/ patch has a much bigger world, larger power curve / deeper character system, and more stuff to do.

Murk

Arcane
G3's character system is much bigger in theory but it kind of falls flat on its face in many regards.

All the weapon skills, except for Crossbows, simply allow you to use weapons of higher power instead of modifying your actual skill with them. Only crossbow skill decreases reload time. Likewise, you don't learn new combos or attack types either, and the difference between 100 STR and 150 STR is so small you may not even notice it.

Murk

Arcane
Donno man, I kind of liked not being able to learn mana-regeneration unless I actually built my character as a mage. Cuz once you get that enemies kind of stop mattering.

And making animals not be insta-death regardless of level is also a nice feature.

Murk

Arcane
What, were the orcs too easy with the AI rebalancing? Or too hard?

Stabwound

Arcane
Is the Gothic 3 expansion (Forsaken Gods) at all worth touching? I know it was unplayably broken when it was released, but is that still the case with the community patches?

1eyedking

Erudite
Mikayel said:
What, were the orcs too easy with the AI rebalancing? Or too hard?
Both. They were so hard you had to resort to some cheap, tedious, and repetitive tactics.

DefJam101

Arcane
I wish Risen had more weapon variety. Started replaying the game (in french, for extra challenge lol) and god damn there are a zillion swords and only around ten different axes and staffs to be found throughout the entire game.

The reforged swords Stormwind / Souldrinker are also pieces of shit, which is criminal.

CrimHead

Scholar
1eyedking said:
Both. They were so hard you had to resort to some cheap, tedious, and repetitive tactics.

Excluding the tedious part (I find it fun to figure out what cheap tactics work on what enemies) isn't that exactly how combat in the previous Gothic games works?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Stabwound said:
Is the Gothic 3 expansion (Forsaken Gods) at all worth touching? I know it was unplayably broken when it was released, but is that still the case with the community patches?

Forsaken Gods just isn't worth it. Play G3 with fanpatches, but skip FG. It's just shit. It's so shit that nothing can fix it.

Murk

Arcane
CrimHead said:
1eyedking said:

Excluding the tedious part (I find it fun to figure out what cheap tactics work on what enemies) isn't that exactly how combat in the previous Gothic games works?

That and taking on a whole warcamp of war-veterans who just WON the war is also kind of a situation that SHOULD require weird tactics and/or tricks.

I realize this usually boils down to luring them out one by one or jumping on a roof top and shwoopin' them but eh, you gotta work with what you can.

Or be a real man and dual wield that shit Drizz't style aw yeahhhh

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom