Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Risen 2 - the perfect pirate RPG

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
... says Piranha Bytes.

http://gdc.gamespot.com/story.html?sid= ... pid=622500

"Yes, islands. While the first game took place on a single landmass, Risen 2 will take place across a series of different islands. The developer isn't commenting on exactly how your swashbuckling pirate Hero will make his way between these beleaguered areas, but given that Piranha Bytes suggests that the game will be "the perfect pirate RPG," it's not hard to guess how you'll be getting from point A to point B. And you won't be going it alone, either; like in Risen, you will from time to time have companions join your side. At least one of the companions will be a mysterious woman practiced in the dreaded art of voodoo magic. This character appears in one of the game's early video trailers and rescues the Hero by means of a voodoo doll and a lit match, just as he's about to be finished off by a group of attackers. "

http://pc.ign.com/articles/115/1153294p1.html

"As it turns out, sea monsters are slashing apart ships, and part of your quest in the game at least initially will be to figure out what's going on.

The process of doing this involves winning favor with groups of pirates. Unlike Risen, Dark Waters will feature multiple islands, at least three according to Piranha Bytes. These adventure areas will be smaller in size than Faranga from the first game, but in total will comprise a larger area of land filled with something on the order of 60 to 80 hours of content to play through. Piranha Bytes says that the multiple island setup allows for more exciting exploration, since you can't run around early on and explore all the terrain. Instead, you'll need to board a ship in order to travel to a new space, which allows for greater variety in environment design and presentation.

Throughout the journey you'll get access to pistols, rifles, shotguns and even cannon. Melee combat will be an option as well if the idea of firing bullets in a game like this doesn't sit well with you, and a magic system will exist too, though will likely wind up being different than what was present in Risen. "

Pistols and rifles, vodoo magic, ships, different islands to explore. Sounds pretty cool.

20 Eyes

Liturgist
Sounds pretty awesome.

If I can upgrade/customize my ship, I'll fucking preorder right now.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
The pirate subquests were some of the most fun parts of Risen. Combine it with the cool factor - didn't really have great gameplay implications, but it was just fun - of gathering a band of bros to help sail your ship at the end of Gothic 2, and make those the entire game, and it's hard to see how much they can really fuck it up. Here's hoping.

racofer

Thread Incliner
20 Eyes said:
Sounds pretty awesome.

Remember how you could upgrade the Normandy SR2 in ME2 and go anywhere and explore the galaxy?

:roll:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
racofer said:
20 Eyes said:
Sounds pretty awesome.

Remember how you could upgrade the Normandy SR2 in ME2 and go anywhere and explore the galaxy?

:x

racofer! Don't make me bitch slap you over the internet!

Topher

Cipher
Now I'm thinking back to Sea Dogs 2 aka "Pirates of the Caribbean" and while I did enjoy the game I always secretly hopped mods would come along and make it amazing... they never did.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Jaesun said:
racofer said:
20 Eyes said:
Sounds pretty awesome.

I would love to see your try.

:smug:

bitch!

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
racofer said:
Jaesun said:
racofer said:
20 Eyes said:
Sounds pretty awesome.

I would love to see your try.

:smug:

bitch!

well.... ;)

Murk

Arcane
So fucking hard for this game. PB has never let me down, I hope this one tops fucking everything.

genci88

Educated
This is the ONLY upcoming game I'm excited about.

I have rock bottom expectations for all games, except for this one. I am expecting an amazing game from Risen 2. And I know Piranha Bytes will deliver, because all four previous games of theirs were masterpieces.

I should also be excited about Deus Ex 3, but it is extremely likely that Eidos will create an abomination that will be as much Deus Ex as Arcania is Gothic. :(

Exmit

Scholar
tbootsnx2.png

You are not commie

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
fucking newfag Exmit. That's skyway. You fucking moran. Time to put you back on ignore.

Gear God™, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't let PB fuck this game up.

Love Jaesun.

genci88

Educated
First I was drog, and now I'm skyway. Make up your minds people.

racofer

Thread Incliner

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Risen was good, as far as exploration-centred action-rpgs go, so I'm looking forward to the sequel.

tarkin

Augur
Wasteland 2
More like skyway, it was his avatar first. edit: too slow

But anyway, i'm so pumped for this game i can hardly wait. I'm using a 3 year old laptop and i had to play Risen on rather low graphic settings (no complaints, it still looked well) but maybe this game will push me over the ledge i will finally buy a proper desktop.

Raapys

Arcane
Game of the year for me, I expect. Just hope they manage to keep up the likely high quality throughout the last part of the game this time.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
What about the million dollar Kodex Kuestion, does it feature tasteful rape?

genci88

Educated
Shannow said:
genci88 said:
First I was drog, and now I'm skyway. Make up your minds people.
You are drog and you stole skyway's avatar.

Your mom is drog. :smug:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom