Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Risen 2 subtitle + artwork

Angthoron

Arcane
Shannow said:
The the Gods have left. Came completely out of the blue. Just so coincides that it's (one of the possible) ending(s) of Gothic 3... Yeah, too bad Risen lacked backstory... :roll:
Didn't like the whole Titan thing either. And yeah, it sounded like "world is fucked. the island is the last safe haven". I'd still like to mention that nature "can" (not always) recover from widespread destruction very quickly. 5-10 years in a tropical climate wouldn't stretch my credulity too much.

I was getting that sort of feel as well, but now in hindsight, there isn't ever any concrete evidence of this, it's really just a case of "They said so", and the events on the island don't have to be linked to the rest of the world at all. Besides, Titans would lose followers/worshipers/slaves if they would just destroy the world so maybe they decided to start their own religion or something.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
torpid said:
Have there been any more details on the story?

Apparently, the main character is now a bro of the Inquisition.

The world is still being ravaged by Titans, plus, the seas have been infested by some monstrous monsters that make water travel a really dangerous endeavour. But word on the street has it, that pirates from the islands on which Risen 2 takes place have found a way to get around the porblem, and it's your task to find out how they're doing it.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Darth Roxor said:
torpid said:

The world is still being ravaged by Titans, plus, the seas have been infested by some monstrous monsters that make water travel a really dangerous endeavour. But word on the street has it, that pirates from the islands on which Risen 2 takes place have found a way to get around the porblem, and it's your task to find out how they're doing it.

Flying ships.

torpid

Liturgist
Darth Roxor said:
torpid said:

Thanks for the info :salute: So it's not a reboot after all: they're just focusing on the pirates (Risen hinted at this at the end of the credits). And the Titans were said to be on the mainland while the game will take place on more islands, which is a way to keep them out of the picture.

Atomic

Augur
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Let's hope they are going to make a full game this time, not 2 great chapters and 2 filler ones.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Risen 2 takes place some in-game years after the events in the first game. Specifically, the Hero has vanquished the threat of the powerful titan monster that threatened his island home after first defeating the evil inquisitor and claiming the villain's magical eyepatch

It's like Gamespot never played the game! :?

J_J_M

Educated
A Gothic style game set in a pirate setting, with multiple islands of different climate to explore... If they don't dumb this down for the PC, I will be one happy camper. Skyrim what?

Twinkle

Liturgist
Gamespot said:
In a first for a Piranha Bytes game, the Hero does not suffer from amnesia and does remember his hard-fought battles and narrow escapes perfectly well, thank you very much.

Dude, have you actually played previous PB games? :roll:

Gobbo

Novice
There another article on IGN, nothing interesting besides the statement that arms have completely replaced bows/crossbows. And there's some better quality screens too.

Screenshots

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
As long as they finally fucking change that fucking horrifying look of CHAR_NAME. Jebus. I screamed at my monitor the first time I saw that... HOLY FUCKING HELL!! WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT HORRIFYING MONST... oh that's my character. :/

Dantus12

Educated
Here is another one in German:

Spoilers:

http://www.pcgames.de/Risen-2-PC-235636 ... e/1496256/

Google translate:

http://translate.google.com/translate?h ... rmd%3Divns

The only thing I'm a little concerned about is the fact that the game is being split in Islands.
That's a important thing when reflecting on area and memory unloading for consoles.

I have nothing against consoles, only this time the game will be a parallel release for 3 platforms.
A PS3 version is being made.
Maybe I'm just port-traumatized.

----------------------------------

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I don't really see a problem with the islands. The first one was on a console as well, and turned out fine (as in there was no incredibly small boxed in areas).

Wild Slop

Arcane
Godspeed PB :salute:

Dont see a problem with islands either.
Could be a good benefit as they say.

What I would find tacky is if they have a desert , ice and tropical-ish type ones merely for the sake of cut and paste variety.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Not sure who is our resident Italian fascist here at the codex, but some snippets of translation from someone on the obsidian forums (italian link: http://www.rpgitalia.net/news/risen-2/r ... nha-bytes/):

They're satisfied of Risen 1's sales and were reassured to see that their decision to focus on the things that made Gothic 1 & 2 popular was correct.

light spoilers:
Risen 2 will have a realistic background, just as the other Pyranha Bytes' games: Titans have brought humanity to the brink of extinction, monsters emerged from the abysses of the seas and disrupted trade routes and the Nameless Hero, now a member of the Inquisition, is trying to find a way to stop these creatures and the chaos they provoked. He hears rumors about pirates in the southern isles, who apparently are the only ones who know how to stop these monsters and goes there.

Pyranha Bytes sees Risen 2 as the game where they can finally focus on the pirates' themes they already dealt with in the other games (Night of the Raven, Risen).

They looked at some new and old games for inspirations, examples are Monkey Island and Mass Effect 2. One of their goals is to create "world with understandable conflicts and authentic characters". Despite being larger, Risen 2's world will have the same density of content Risen's world had. Their experience with Gothic 3 taught them what they did wrong with it and helps them making Risen 2 a much better game. 25 people (that's an incredibly small team) are at work on Risen 2. If we count the external members though (not sure what they mean by "external members") the team is 100 people.

With Risen they wanted to go back to what made Gothic 1 & 2 popular. Risen 2 will be the "next step". To avoid the problem where the first chapter is crammed full of content and the other chapters are much thinner, they're going to start from a limited setting that becomes larger and more open the further you go. They tried to improve on all the aspects of the game on which they received negative feedback: the setting is more original, monsters and characters are of higher graphical quality, they put more attention on women who will look much more natural in Risen 2, and the combat system has been reconsidered completely (I assume they mean they designed it from scratch again, but to be honest, it didn't make that much sense in Italian either). They won't touch what made Risen great like the open and living world, the charismatic characters (their words, not mine) and the possibility of resolving quests in different ways.

:salute:

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
...Mass Effect 2... ...the combat system has been reconsidered completely...

:roll:

Get ready for popamole cover-action with muskets.

:salute:

goddamn, I sure hope not. :/

Gakkone

pretty cool guy eh
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Jaesun said:
light spoilers:
Risen 2 will have a realistic background, just as the other Pyranha Bytes' games: Titans have brought humanity to the brink of extinction, monsters emerged from the abysses of the seas and disrupted trade routes and the Nameless Hero, now a member of the Inquisition, is trying to find a way to stop these creatures and the chaos they provoked. He hears rumors about pirates in the southern isles, who apparently are the only ones who know how to stop these monsters and goes there.

:what:

How is that a realistic background?

J_J_M

Educated
http://www.goozernation.com/video-games ... w-gdc-2011

Another cool thing they showed was the day and night cycles and how it affects NPCs and Monsters. For example, let's say a monster is guarding an item attached to your current quest, but your level is too low to fight and win in a battle with this monster. You could wait until it goes to sleep, sneak in, and steal the object. All NPCs sleep at night just like many monsters, and you can use this to your advantage.
:clap:

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
That was normal in the Gothic series. Nothing new.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom