Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Risen 2 -- preorder to get the full game

sser

Arcane
Developer
Looks like my badass money is going to stay in my epic wallet.

Micmu

Magister
Looks like a horrific, horrific piece of shit then.
Moving on.
Dumbed down to kingdom come, full of "QTE", full of malware and designed exclusively around HW capabilities of a very dated console. I hope it fails and PB gets fucked in ass for good for this one. Fuck you assholes, Gothic 3 was enough of utter shit.

MetalCraze

Arcane
It has QTEs too? Hahaha.
That and Piranha Bytes should burn for being greedy retards.

Only a year or two ago pre-order DLCs that are cut content were nothing but a joke. But now it's reality.
I bet in a few years we'll have to buy several game packages on day 0 to get a full game. $50 each

Suchy

Arcane
Oh ffs. Whenever there's a game coming that I want to buy, they go out of their minds to make me wanna just pirate it. And so I will.

Phelot

Arcane
Yeah, I think I'll hold off until it's released to see what's up. FFS this was going to be one of the few games I get day 1. Hopefully it somehow doesn't suck.

DraQ

Arcane
It also seems that The Witcher 2's "preorder to get stat-boosting equipment" idea will sadly stay in the genre.
I was more offended when they made available to everyone with official patch - yeah, thanks for removing the need to get better gear, asswads.
:decline:

Also, I consider preorder bonuses to be unfair business practice that should be legally prohibited.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Don't worry. There are enough retards who will buy this shit.

After all "RPGs" where you spend a shitton of time twitching spacebar to do the same action you could've done by simply pressing a movement key only a few years ago are very popular as of late.

Skittles

He ruins the fun.
Not sure if posted before

Thanks for the post.

I'm not very encouraged by what they're choosing to show off. Animations can play a big role in solid combat mechanics in an action game like this, but, as interesting as all the motion capture and facial animation stuff is, I'd rather see how that benefits aspects of the game that will probably make up most of my time playing it.

I'd like to see a dev show off what motion capture can actually *do* when combined with good combat mechanics. With finer and more efficient animations, you could integrate a wider variety of moves for your human opponents--showing directional blocking, attack angles and accurate speed through animation, rather than guess work based on experience with an enemy 'type' would be awesome.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Anyone who pirates a PB or Larian game is basically the biggest douchebag on the planet.
Still less of a douchebag than PB which sells a full game in separate parts.

This is specifically PB decision to do this?
"We would like to pay you extra money to develop a day-one DLC alongside the base game."
"I am outraged, we have principles here. Take your money elsewhere."

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Anyone who pirates a PB or Larian game is basically the biggest douchebag on the planet.

"We would like to pay you extra money to develop a day-one DLC alongside the base game."
"I am outraged, we have principles here. Take your money elsewhere."

You know the exact specifics of the contract that PB signed with Deep Silver? Fascinating. Could you share that with us?

:hmmm:

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
I'm still not sure what's so great about Larian. Granted, I only played a little of Divinity 2, but combat seemed pretty mediocre. In an ARPG.

I could tell right away that the highlight wouldn't be the story or dialogue...

:hmmm:

MetalCraze

Arcane

Last time I've checked PB were the developers.
Risen happened in the first place because they didn't want publishers to have control over their IP. That's why they abandoned Gothic and let JoWooD rape it in all crazy ways.

I could tell right away that the highlight wouldn't be the story or dialogue...
What's strange is that Jaesun didn't mention Obsidian.

Skittles

He ruins the fun.

DeepSilver acts like they're the ones in charge. I emailed PB about DLC plans and got a "direct all questions to DeepSilver." DeepSilver says something along the lines of "OUR DLC is an incentive for preorders; we haven't finalized DLC plans yet; we'll release more information in the next few weeks. " Maybe I'm reading too much into their language and it's just a matter of who handles public relations, but it sounds like the publisher's the one with say over the DLC, not PB.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Yeah poor devs from an independent studio are just slaves who have no saying in the matter and don't want additional money without working.

Don't forget that upon starting developing a game that has a publisher by an independent studio - both the publisher and devs sign a contract with what they should and should not do clearly specified. Deep Silver can't just come in and force them to cut content to release it separately by threatening them with something - this can be treated as a breach of contract and they can get sued if the dev is white and fluffy. However both sides can change contract upon agreeing to do that.

PB is not an inner studio of DS but a contractor.

Skittles

He ruins the fun.
:roll:

I'm the last person happy about the game being DLCed to death. It's stupid to act like either party could've forced this issue one way or the other if the other adamantly opposed. I'm pointing out that the emails showed that the publisher retains some control over the content that's produced rather than being entirely hands-off, as you implied with your post.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom