Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rise of the Tomb Raider - Watch Lara's bum in NextGen fidelity

SumDrunkGuy

TR2013, along with Vanquish, are the only good post-RE4 shooters. Everything else is fucking garbage. Uncharted, Gears, Rise- they suck.

Ash

Arcane
TR2013, along with Vanquish, are the only good post-RE4 shooters. Everything else is fucking garbage. Uncharted, Gears, Rise- they suck.

Yes, indeed they do. But so does TR2013 a.k.a the Uncharted Clone, even if it is probably slightly better than those other games.

Modron

Arcane
I assume you mean console shooters but even then Binary Domain was pretty fun (better than nuTR) despite borrowing heavily from Gears of War.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Vanquish is mediocre. Better than TR2013 as a shooter, but not that special. I was surprised something so bland could come from Mikami.

Ezekiel

Arcane

Yes, indeed they do. But so does TR2013 a.k.a the Uncharted Clone, even if it is probably slightly better than those other games.
Slightly better how? It's a standard popamole (as you people call it) shooter, except instead of sticking to cover, you're forced to slowly crouch through the whole gunfight. Personally, I'd rather use a manual cover system than an automatic one like Tomb Raider's or Metal Gear Solid V's. Tomb Raider's permanent carry system has only four guns and you're forced to zoom to an over the shoulder view with slowed foot movement before every shot. The gunfights are almost always in little, enclosed arenas, with you crouched on one side and enemies appearing continually from the other, and are over too quickly. Slightly better how?

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Except they aren't. TR has plenty of big, open maps - some are open in horizontal direction, some are open in vertical direction, few are open in both. Claiming that TR fighting scene maps are: "little, enclosed arenas" is the sort of bullshit that Lyric Suite keeps shitting out.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Except they aren't. TR has plenty of big, open maps - some are open in horizontal direction, some are open in vertical direction, few are open in both. Claiming that TR fighting scene maps are: "little, enclosed arenas" is the sort of bullshit that Lyric Suite keeps shitting out.
Bullshit. I can point to almost any area in the game. Almost all the gunfights take place in small arenas, in which you have a few low pieces of cover to hide behind on your side. The enemies usually wait there for you, having idle conversations. There are few sections in the game in which you actually have to move forward, progress through gunfights, the two main ones being the big fire right before Roth dies (in which most of the areas are still separated by little cutscenes and pretend platforming sections) and the ending area with all the samurai. Even when you actually have to progress, the gunplay is not that special, since Lara is crouched half the time and can't run and gun and since her few weapons are limited by a shitty upgrade system.

Last edited:

SumDrunkGuy

TR2013 isn't a cover shooter. It has a cover mechanic but the combat doesn't strictly revolve around it like it does in Gears and Uncharted. If you're spending the majority of your time fighting from behind cover you're playing the game wrong, and Vanquish is the same way. They are both very much run and gun shooters designed specifically for self-respecting heterosexual males.

Last edited by a moderator:

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Bullshit. I can point to almost any area in the game. Almost all the gunfights take place in small arenas, in which you have a few low pieces of cover to hide behind on your side. The enemies usually wait there for you, having idle conversations. There are few sections in the game in which you actually have to move forward, progress through gunfights, the two main ones being the big fire right before Roth dies (in which most of the areas are still separated by little cutscenes and pretend platforming sections) and the ending area with all the samurai. Even when you actually have to progress, the gunplay is not that special, since Lara is crouched half the time and can't run and gun.
Just kill yourself already. Because you're not talking about Tomb Raider. Maybe you're talking about Gears of War, I don't know since I only play PC games, but Tomb Raider had ample room in its action levels / shooting "scenes", that allowed the use of environment. Unless you only played the fucking tutorial mission in Syria. When you actually get to the valley in Siberia, you got plenty of room. Yes, there is an occasional crowded scene, but for good reason - like enemies ambushing you in a staircase, but the vast majority of them are wide open and even give you the possibility of going silent or going loud, plus utilizing the environment.

There's plenty to hate on nu-Lara, like the retarded plot, the almost-pointless exploration, the lack of actual Tomb Raiding, but the gunplay and the action scenes are not bad.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Bullshit. I can point to almost any area in the game. Almost all the gunfights take place in small arenas, in which you have a few low pieces of cover to hide behind on your side. The enemies usually wait there for you, having idle conversations. There are few sections in the game in which you actually have to move forward, progress through gunfights, the two main ones being the big fire right before Roth dies (in which most of the areas are still separated by little cutscenes and pretend platforming sections) and the ending area with all the samurai. Even when you actually have to progress, the gunplay is not that special, since Lara is crouched half the time and can't run and gun.
Just kill yourself already. Because you're not talking about Tomb Raider. Maybe you're talking about Gears of War, I don't know since I only play PC games, but Tomb Raider had ample room in its action levels / shooting "scenes", that allowed the use of environment. Unless you only played the fucking tutorial mission in Syria. When you actually get to the valley in Siberia, you got plenty of room. Yes, there is an occasional crowded scene, but for good reason - like enemies ambushing you in a staircase, but the vast majority of them are wide open and even give you the possibility of going silent or going loud, plus utilizing the environment.

There's plenty to hate on nu-Lara, like the retarded plot, the almost-pointless exploration, the lack of actual Tomb Raiding, but the gunplay and the action scenes are not bad.
Siberia? Why are you talking about Rise now? You said TR. Occasional? No. Frequent.

A typical gunfight in TR:

You're almost stationary. Boring.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Because the thread is about the new Lara games and the sequel improved on that aspect of the game. Not that it was that bad in the reboot either, as it did reward using your environment. But I guess if you played it on easy and just sniped around, it's no surprise it was boring.

SumDrunkGuy

The person in that video is playing like a fucking retard. Why is he just randomly jumping around?

Ezekiel

Arcane
Because the thread is about the new Lara games and the sequel improved on that aspect of the game. Not that it was that bad in the reboot either, as it did reward using your environment.
Because a few of us were talking about TR2013 and you simply said TR.

But I guess if you played it on easy and just sniped around, it's no surprise it was boring.
My first and only playthrough was on Extreme Survivor.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Ezekiel43/stats/appid/391220/achievements

That mode has no continues, only campfire checkpoints. They added that difficulty later because people found the game too easy. It still wasn't that hard. Most of my deaths were from the weird platforming mechanics, not from getting shot.

Last edited:

Ezekiel

Arcane
So you're lying then. Thanks for confirming it.
That's all you got? Lol.

Anyway, Tomb Raider is a mediocre shooter with the usual modern mechanics (zoomed in over the shoulder view, weapon upgrades and forced/automatic cover) and a lot of boring arenas. It had more potential as a platforming adventure game. I say potential because the old games were never as good as they should have been. But it's a shame to see that idea thrown away for this. I had more fun with Anniversary than this. I also liked Tomb Raider II, even though it was still rough. The platforming is too automated now and involves too much slow climbing with the axe.

Ash

Arcane
Slightly better how? It's a standard popamole (as you people call it) shooter, except instead of sticking to cover, you're forced to slowly crouch through the whole gunfight. Personally, I'd rather use a manual cover system than an automatic one like Tomb Raider's or Metal Gear Solid V's. Tomb Raider's permanent carry system has only four guns and you're forced to zoom to an over the shoulder view with slowed foot movement before every shot. The gunfights are almost always in little, enclosed arenas, with you crouched on one side and enemies appearing continually from the other, and are over too quickly

Slightly better how? First of all, I despise NuWombRaider, but it is SLIGHTLY better as a game than the likes of Gears or Uncharted. Uncharted is filled with so many non-game walking sim segments, while TR2013 only has a couple. TR2013 rewards exploration here and there rarely (even if poorly) with its hubs or occassional secret temple and whatnot while Uncharted and Gears offers very little meaningful non-linearity at all. The scripted segments and dumbed down platforming are just as declined in both Uncharted And TR2013. TR2013 DID have okay puzzles from time to time though, even if not as elaborate and non-handholdey as the original's. Combat...I wouldn't call it good in either games, but it's probably an improvement over the classic auto aim shit in the older Tomb Raider games, if we also ignore the fact it has regen health, checkpoints you every corner, forces you to a snail pace while aiming and other such related modern trash design.

The game's shit popamole, but nightmare desert island scenario where only popamole accompanies you 'till death I'd add it to the pile of popamole I wouldn't immediately toss. Gears otoh would be the first to go. The SP campaign is pure trash.

Last edited:

sullynathan

Arcane
Ash Gears of War has solid shooting mechanics which is what you do 70% of the time.
Uncharted doesn't last as long as TR2013 so it didn't give me as many headaches.

Cross

Arcane
The over-the-shoulder-view that Resident Evil 4 popularized is one of the worst things to happen to third-person shooters. Not only is your movement speed reduced to a crawl, but your FOV gets so ridiculously cramped that you often can't even see what's right next to your character. It's so clunky.

I assume you mean console shooters
As opposed to what other kind of third-person shooter? Everything has been multiplatform (i.e. primariily designed for consoles) for well over a decade, even most first-person shooters.

but even then Binary Domain was pretty fun
I can't imagine how anyone with a strong dislike for Gears could possibly like Binary Domain considering how similarly they play. Well, the character designs look nowhere near as retarded as those in Gears, I guess.

Last edited:

Deflowerer

Arcane
Can't believe it's been 20 years and nothing even comes close to the experience of classic Tomb Raider games.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK.

Mind you, I played the first game for the first time 3-4 years ago.

:negative::negative::negative::negative::negative:

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
Can't believe it's been 20 years and nothing even comes close to the experience of classic Tomb Raider games.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK.

Mind you, I played the first game for the first time 3-4 years ago.

:negative::negative::negative::negative::negative:

There's also a fan-remake of 3 somewhere.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom