Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rise of Nations

Ibbz

Augur
I've heard alot of good things about this game from a variety of reviews and comments- and i was wondering if anyone hear has played it? and if so, how does it measure up to the RTS greats like Total Annihilation?

Its 80% age of empires, 10% risk, 10% civilization.

I like that its sprites instead of 3d.

The risk part is horrible. The rts is ok.

Like civ you expand influence, and enemy peices take damage in your territory.

Balance is hugely defense as opposed to offense. It is very difficult to take a city from someone.

Its missing a single player campaign that most rts have, in its place it has the risk game, and various battles come up in the game.

The board game in medieval total war is great, but the battle is boring and pointless ( it lets you skip that part fortunately).

The risk game in ron is terrible but the other game is ok.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Its missing a single player campaign that most rts have, in its place it has the risk game.....The risk part is horrible
So does that mean that single player completely sucks and that there is no reason to buy the game unless you intend to play mostly multi-player?

Megatron

Liturgist
the risk part is just to decide where you want to fight next, there is no story-driven single-player campaign. The A.I is good though.

I like it. Better than most other rts and some good new features. I'd say it was more intresting than age of empires and command and conquer. I haven't tried warcraft 3 so I can't comment.

Demo heyar

Chicago. And damn anyone who is not the same.
It's like sex with Monnica Bellucci sold with a copy of Messiah. One part is phenominal the other part useless, but the good definetely outways the bad.
It's amazingly fantastic, my only complaints is that the Gunpowder age medditeranian architecture for the temple looks like a Roman oracle, and that the choice of Civilizations is too pc- where the hell are the Persians and the Indians? But apparently, the Bantu, the Inca, the Maya, and the Nubians are historically more important than those two. :lol:

Megatron

Liturgist
I would have liked to see more emphasis on sea battles, as they seem rare. It'd also be kewl if they had a few more wonders and more civic buildings. Mabye even walls for your cities :O

Chicago. And damn anyone who is not the same.
Sea battles? That is more a map problem, though the Bomb Kegs and the Battleships should have longer ranges. Also, give the transports less HPies
Walls? Yeah, they could have been cool, and the rather annoying fact that the Mideval ages uses the archaic Fortress model, leaving the pre-Alamo style 1 age. :o
Sad, considering it's my favorite style of Fortress.
Besides that though I am hardpressed to find a fault beyond that; even the Risk game is growing on me, though it's a little short if you think.

dagorkan

Arbiter
Jedi, I don't have a problem with you necromancing threads but please stick to General Discussion or Site Discussion, or even RPG News. I like this forum and would like it not to be polluted by Codexian drama.

Destroid

Arcane
I played a lot of multiplayer Rise of Nations when I lived on campus, I would put it among my top MP RTS games.

Heaps better than the other age themed RTS games like EE or AoE IMO, although the pro RTS players I know all swear by EE (bland) so whatever.

Ghoulem

Erudite
I have four strategy games installed: Rome:Total War, Heroes of Might and Magic III, Warcraft III and Rise of Nations.. go figure.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom