Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rise of Nations: Tactics - Big Huge Games' Secret Unreleased Mac-Exclusive(?!) RTS

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/11/15/finished-rise-of-nations-game-found-among-big-huge-files/
Rise of Nations never got its due. It was a real-time strategy game that tried to fit the major landmarks of human civilization into a single hour of frantic war. Your units would level up through the ages as you marched across the battlefield, blending Civilization with Total War with Command & Conquer. It was designed by Brian Reynolds, of Alpha Centauri, and built by Big Huge Games.

A less satisfying fantasy sequel, Rise of Legends, was released in 2006, but now it seems that another game might exist. As part of the auction of all Big Huge Games and 38 Studios assets, following their collapse last year, a finished, Mac-only game called Rise of Nations: Tactics has been discovered.

In a press release reported by Polygon, Heritage Global Partners, who are handling the auction of all assets related to the studios, reveal the discovery.

According to Nick Jimenez, Executive Vice President of Heritage Global Partners, “through the examination of the data contained on the 38 Studios servers, we have discovered a completed, but unreleased game for Mac users titled ‘Rise of Nations: Tactics.’ We only became aware of this game this past week through our own due diligence efforts.”

There’s no more information about the game than that, though the name evokes the idea of a simplified spin-off.

The auction of these assets has been delayed due to high levels of interest, pushing the date back to December 11th. From who that interest comes, we don’t know, but a number of publishers are rumoured to be interested, including EA. They were the publishers of Kingdoms of Amaulur: The Reckoning, the last game Big Huge worked on. It was released to meager sales and mild Wot I Thinks, though it did later beguile John.

In any case, there’s reason to hope that someone will pick up this new Rise of Nations game and give it a proper release.

Big Huge Games final years were tumultuous, as the studio was bought first by THQ in 2008, and then sold 15 months later to 38 Studios. That company was founded by former baseball star Curt Schilling, and declared bankruptcy in May 2012. After that, Epic Games swooped in to found Epic Baltimore, compromising a significant portion of Big Huge’s former employees. That company was then renamed Impossible Studios, before itself being shut down in February of this year.

In the meantime, Rise of Nations remains unavailable on any digital distribution platform I can find, but you can read about the making of it in this article Kieron wrote somewhere near the dawn of time and if you like, buy it and its first expansion from Amazon for less than £5.

This may be of some interest to you, Whisky.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
This is totally crazy. A finished game that they never once talked about? I'd like to see more about this.

Keep in mind that the auction holder might be fibbing about the game's state. "Complete" might mean that was still in beta, for instance. Maybe even alpha.

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Likely, it's not like they're experts on the subject of computer games after all.

Still, damn this is interesting.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom