Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rise of Legends

pkt-zer0

Scholar
I've been playing the demo of Rise of Legends lately, now that I actually have a computer able to run the damn thing. It went under the radar for me (that's not saying much - based off the screenshots I initially thought Company of Heroes was an FPS), but it turned out to be pretty excellent. In fact, ordered the full game online (to not have to deal with the horrid localization and said localizations not playing nice with the patches).

I've been playing mostly as Vinci myself, and fooling around a bit with the Cuotl after figuring out you could use them in the demo with a bit of a hack. You can actually hack LAN play into the game as well, and then use Hamachi to set up some matches.

So, anyone else playing the game? Possibly even up for a multiplayer game on one of the demo maps?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I played it for a while but uninstalled it because of lack of space on my hard disk. It's pretty good, and can be fun when you get used to it. It's got a pretty cool campaign, some nice features and I like the city-building.

I enjoyed Rise of Legend, liked the art & presentation as well. I'd be up for a match online, but no sooner than five weeks from now. The real problem, though, is that I suck at RTS. Really bad.

WalterKinde

Scholar
Yes its a good game.
The only problem is , patches can only be downloaded via the in game client which means you have to be running the game to get any updates and fixes installed, which takes a really longtime since the patches are so huge.
Other than that its a good RTS game on the same level as Perimeter.

MaskedMan

very cool
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's an enjoyable game, though I got kinda bored with the whole campaign map thing and quit playing.

If you have any problems with the in-game updater (it used to fail at a certain point for me) you can get the update files from here. The download speed is atrocious and unstable, but the megaupload collection that some forums link to is incomplete, and this one has all the patches up to February this year (that's when I checked it out last time and I don't think they've released any new ones lately).

pkt-zer0

Scholar
So, the full game arrived a couple of days ago. The nice box and manual actually made me realized how much they usually cut out from local releases here. Anyway, I've been playing through the campaign on Tough difficulty, and it's pretty fun so far (almost finished the Vinci episode).

The Vanished One said:
I enjoyed Rise of Legend, liked the art & presentation as well. I'd be up for a match online, but no sooner than five weeks from now. The real problem, though, is that I suck at RTS. Really bad.
Fine with me. There are handicap settings to fiddle around with if the skill difference turns out to be a bit much. My bigger concern is that it seems the patch servers are either completely fucked, or have been taken down without an official announcement, which also means no online capability. So Hamachi or some other VPN software will be necessary.

MaskedMan said:
If you have any problems with the in-game updater (it used to fail at a certain point for me) you can get the update files from here. The download speed is atrocious and unstable, but the megaupload collection that some forums link to is incomplete, and this one has all the patches up to February this year (that's when I checked it out last time and I don't think they've released any new ones lately).
There's an identical one up on filefront, too.

pkt-zer0

Scholar
It seems you've found perhaps the only topic where the "MBS ruins progaming" spam is mildly relevant. Give yourself a pat on the back.

Letum Fol

Novice
It's not a bad game but it lacked that certain something that made Rise of Nations such an amazing game. It lost quite a lot of depth too.

Texas Red

Whiner
I don't fully understand the way those city building points work on the strategic map and all... but I find some regions really easy while others impossible. For the life of me I don't know how to complete that mission where you either have to defend or attack a castle. You can't build anything, there is a very little stream of resources and you're faced against 3 or 4 opponents with the same odds all working against you. It's mathematically impossible to win that map.

Pegultagol

Erudite
I played it some time ago, and found it quite enjoyable. I will try to install it again and see what has changed since its release. I'm not good at RTS though, found it too much of a micromanaging exercise in the strict mold of building orders. I remember RoL catered to fast action multiplayer even going as far as to introduce these ultimate units that can plow thorough almost anything.

pkt-zer0

Scholar
Dark Individual said:
I don't fully understand the way those city building points work on the strategic map and all... but I find some regions really easy while others impossible. For the life of me I don't know how to complete that mission where you either have to defend or attack a castle. You can't build anything, there is a very little stream of resources and you're faced against 3 or 4 opponents with the same odds all working against you. It's mathematically impossible to win that map.

Regarding the strategic map, army points let you buy soldiers for your starting army, research lets you upgrade your units, and wealth is used for buying new districts. Try getting as many palace districts as possible, since those generate all three resources at a slow but steady rate. Also, you get income even if you happen to lose a battle, so this can be abused if needed. Another useful thing to note is that as long as your army is occupying a territory, the enemy can't capture it (might only work if you actually attacked the invading army during your turn).

As for the impossible level: I chose to attack the castle, and it was fairly straightforward. You just have to slowly walk around the map, capturing the Condottieri camps one by one, then basically rush the castle at the end. I built a barracks for clockwork spiders - their web ability and trample is really useful. You'll likely want to have more than one hero around, too. If that still doesn't help, do some research on the strategic map and/or get a bigger starting army.

So it is, in fact, mathematically possible. Now, a generic battle against the Doge and Don Sclario on the fifth turn of the Vinci campaign on Tough difficulty... not so much. (This is where I found out that you could resign battles and still gain income)

So, I've re-installed RoL and applied the patches you posted (patch servers are still down).
The tough AI just pwned me :(
My Hamachi account name is the vanished one. Time zone is GMT+1 (I live in Italy). I only have two days, then I'll be away for 1-2 more weeks. If you have some free time and no better opponent, just PM me or post directly here.

Yannos

Educated
I bought it too, not long ago for only a small amount of cash. Since I enjoyed Rise of Nations alot I figured this wouldn't be too bad. I remember it being written off as a weak sequel some time ago.

In any case, I loved the Vinci campaign. I guess I just like musketeers duking it out with clockwork men. Don't like the follow up Arabian Magical campaign, haven't finished it yet though.

pkt-zer0

Scholar
Well, made a Hamachi network.

Name: rolcodex
Password: rpgcodex

Same GMT+1 time zone here, so go ahead and join when you have the time. I've set up the firewall/port forwarding supposedly correctly, so let's hope it works.

EDIT: In case anyone else was wondering, yes, it does work without too much hassle.

Yannos said:
I bought it too, not long ago for only a small amount of cash. Since I enjoyed Rise of Nations alot I figured this wouldn't be too bad. I remember it being written off as a weak sequel some time ago.

In any case, I loved the Vinci campaign. I guess I just like musketeers duking it out with clockwork men. Don't like the follow up Arabian Magical campaign, haven't finished it yet though.
The demo on RoN didn't manage to hook me. As a sequel, I'm not sure how strong RoL would be - the original reminded me more of Age of Empires, whereas RoL I'd consider to be closer to Starcraft. It's different, but that's not a bad thing per se.

As for the campaign - it's mostly an excuse to have a singleplayer mode where you can control all three races, but it's worth one playthrough for some of the unique maps.

Texas Red

Whiner
The game(or at least the campaign) seems somewhat unbalanced. After I unlocked the technology to build heavy bombers, I have become invincible in the Vinci campaign. The problem is rather obvious: fighter planes are extremely weak and can't do any serious damage to bombers and there is nothing else that can counter them. So even in the beginning of missions my bombers(that can also decently fight against fighters and win due to huge number of HPs) that I have chosen through unit points are able to annihilate all of the neutral cities. Then I just rush the enemy's base with bombers and he is pretty much screwed since nothing can counter them.

That alien race which I haven't tried yet is said to be even more powerful(and costly). The Vinci will be completely fucked if they have some air-to-earth units that are even bigger.

pkt-zer0

Scholar
Well, it seems to me that in the campaign mode, the enemy AI is more likely to play a preset way, e.g. the Doge uses mass infantry, walkers, and cannons, but not much in the way of anti-air. Rushing the enemy with a large starting army only works that well in campaign mode (and above medium difficulty, it's not that viable even there, seeing how the enemy likely has a larger army at the beginning than yours).

Otherwise, pirata flyers should counter air destroyers pretty well. Upgrades there help a lot: their attack going from 11 to 18 to 25, and considering the stage of the game where you're even able to build destroyers, it's likely they'll have at least one upgrade. In a head-to-head fight between an air destoyer and 3 piratas (equal costs) the latter win, so it's really a matter of being able to keep your piratas alive.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom