Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rift / Vive / VR General

Perkel

Arcane
So here is my actual review of Pico4.

If i had to sum it up. It is Quest 2 but better in every sense. And it feels a bit more premium in finish quality, plastics used etc.

1. Software is pretty much aped 1:1 from quest2. I was suprised just how similar it is. And the best part is that unlike quest2 this is completely open system. Meaning you can install any apk you want from get go. So i just downloaded retroarch from site, hooked up my pad and voila i have cinema size emulation station whenever i want without any shenneningans with quest2 registration as developer just to install apks. Moreover with something like CX file explorer i can share my files with PC wirelessly easily. It is effectively stock android when it comes to app support (just without google services and play store)

2. Weight. This is easily the best thing about it. You almost don't feel weight at all compared to something like quest2. No VR face at all. Spent like 6 hour session doing animations and i could go another 6 without issues when with Quest 2 after 2-3 hours it was getting uncomfortable.

3. FOV and display.
With default head gasket i was not that blown away. Yeah few degrees better but nothing amazing. Clarity was almost edge to edge unlike quest2 and you could feel resolution bump... Then i took of head gasket completely and tried it without. Yeah huge fov increase and weirdly clarity as well. This is like jumping into next gen device with such res and such FOV.
Now you would think that using pico4 without gasket would be uncomfortable or i would have to keep on me with hands but nope. With my face they behave exactly like glasses. you can feel some weight on nose but thanks to really low weight it is actually quite comfortable. I like to play at night so light leakage isn't that important for me. I will probably buy thin head gasket later to further improve comfort and not lose FOV increase.
Going back to resolution and clarity, thanks to those lenses picture is so sharp that i can again see screen door effect if i focus a lot even at 2,2k per eye. For comparsion i couldn't see it with quest2 1.8k per eye because fresnels blurred too much image.
Display quality wise it is small upgrade over Quest2. Black levels are better but this is still LCD so blacks are mostly "gray". I didn't seem much difference with color. IT does not support HDR and it doesn't have any fancy local dimming too.

4. Controllers are clear improvement over quest2. I thought their design would cause problems but no it is designed in such a way that it's "stick" part can't hit your hand at all and you can even use controller together like holding pistol for better stability without issues. Much like quest 2 ones they are touch sensitive as well. Moreover they have 2 batteries with trays per controller not one. So i expect life of those controllers be even crazier than qust2 which was something like 2-3 months per controller.

5. VirtualDesktop support is excellent and there are no issues with it.

6. Battery wise it is slightly better than quest2. Due to lack of battery in front you can't buy strap with battery as it is already on system but you can always strap small 5k batter at the back with short usbc cable no problem and it will further improve comfort as more weight at the back = less weight at the front.

So like i said straight upgrade over Quest2. I had pleasure to play with index and Pico4 is essentially Index FOV + high res + much much much better comfort. I really wish we would already have 200fov but this is good update over standard VR headsets.

I paid for it 350$ new and I think it was good deal. My used 64GB quest 2 with official elite battery strap is worth similar 300-350$ so for me it will be effectively free swap.

Headset comes with nice white laminated plastic stand which works as base of pico4 and you can easily put both controls and headset in it. It does not have charging capability though but you can easily connect wire to headset while it is in that stand.

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
Varjo Aero aka the insane best headset around dropped price from 2k to $1k.
So if you are idiot that looks at Velve Index better look at this if you have that kind of money.

mini-leds 2.8k per eye with 115 fov (index is measly 1440×1600 per eye )

Venser

Erudite

Meta Connect is live with Quest 3 presentation and stuff...

Last edited:

Doktor Best

Arcane
Connect was not really centered around Quest3 which is weird. Seems like Meta hasnt caught on yet that they are a console developer now.

Anyway i preordered the Q3. Q2 was the best tech purchase i made in years and Q3 seems like a solid upgrade. Meta also has a vastly superior games library to Pico.

Venser

Erudite
I'll wait for the proper reviews, then I'll buy it. These hans on impressions are from people invited by Meta who tried it for a limited time in a controlled environment.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I wish more headsets would do what I think one of the Vives did: having a built-in adjustable lens. Half the people in the market for this are nerds with glasses anyway (myself included).
I know there's a 2nd hand market for inserts but it's not the same.

Perkel

Arcane
It is good time to get Quest2. Since Quest3 announcement Quest2 prices crashed.

Perkel

Arcane
got some nice info. If anyone wonders from where Apple got their 4k per eyes microoled...
BOY which is huge chinese display manufacturer for phones etc. official list of what they are selling to companies. Yeah in 2-3 years we should get 4k per eye in consumer headsets at nice pricepoint and with pitch blacks and with proper eye searing hdr.

image.png

https://reddit.com/r/virtualreality/s/JZr1xD7HZu

So according to Virtual Desktop creator Ggodin, Quest3 has improved pcvr visuals and runs smoother. AV1 codec gives best visuals but you need a rtx 4000 series card to enable it.

From my own testing with quest2 and pico4 wireless gaming via VD is already pretty much impossible to tell from actual cable vr.

ADL

Prophet
Varjo Aero aka the insane best headset around dropped price from 2k to $1k.
So if you are idiot that looks at Velve Index better look at this if you have that kind of money.

mini-leds 2.8k per eye with 115 fov (index is measly 1440×1600 per eye )
This thing looks incredible but I'd like it to hit ~$750 before I'm willing to buy something without tracking/controllers included.
Quest 3 is appealing for wireless but I'm just gonna wait and upgrade from Index->Deckard.

Venser

Erudite
Team Beef doing incredible job porting all of the classic FPS games to standalone Quest for free and it works perfectly. When will the devs and publishers finally wake up and realize they have a great opportunity remaking their old titles in VR?

Venser

Erudite
You know how in movies they sometimes make up a fake video game that the characters would play and it would be totally unrealistic and exaggerated? This video reminded me of that. Yet it's real and the future is now.

Perkel

Arcane
i want to see that 300 pounds american from view of someone watching this cringe shit.

Mortmal

Arcane
You know how in movies they sometimes make up a fake video game that the characters would play and it would be totally unrealistic and exaggerated? This video reminded me of that. Yet it's real and the future is now.

500 euros to buy a Quest 3 and get gimmick games like that at best. You can be 100% sure we won't get anything deeper. If there was any will to do it, it would have been done on the Quest 2 already.

Venser

Erudite
All of the nominated VR games for The Game Awards are PSVR2 exclusives. Seems kinda shady considering most of the people's VR game of the year contender is missing- Vertigo 2.

best.webp

Mortmal

Arcane

Just tried Assassin VR since luckily I bought a Quest 2 years ago instead of the Reverb G2, so now I have access to this game, which seems to be the first real exclusive. And boy, it's incredible. It's like playing a PS3-era graphic quality game, but this time inside it, with a physics engine. Everything is incredibly well-crafted, and the enhanced VR puzzles are an extra nice touch, with panels and puzzles appearing in 3D in your living room. It's clearly a big-budget game I would compare to Half-Life: Alyx.A few more games like this, and Meta will definitely win the race.

Venser

Erudite

Just tried Assassin VR since luckily I bought a Quest 2 years ago instead of the Reverb G2, so now I have access to this game, which seems to be the first real exclusive. And boy, it's incredible. It's like playing a PS3-era graphic quality game, but this time inside it, with a physics engine. Everything is incredibly well-crafted, and the enhanced VR puzzles are an extra nice touch, with panels and puzzles appearing in 3D in your living room. It's clearly a big-budget game I would compare to Half-Life: Alyx.A few more games like this, and Meta will definitely win the race.

Just bought it, gonna try it out tonight on Quest 3.
Also there's Black Friday sale 40% off on the Quest store for selected titles:
https://www.meta.com/en-gb/experien...n_content=black-friday-cyber-monday-sale-2023
Just remember to apply the code BFCM23 at the checkout to get 40% off.

A new Steam / PSVR2 game that looks promising. Over 10 hours campaign according to devs.

ADL

Prophet
I was just gonna post that Arken Age trailer. Looks cool. Valve needs to hurry up and release the Deckard. As much as I love the Index, I can't be bothered to do wired VR anymore and the pico4/Quest 3 are incredibly tempting...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom