Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Richard Garriott Interview

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Richard Garriott

<p>IndustryGamers put up the <a href="http://www.industrygamers.com/news/game-industry-legends-richard-garriott-de-cayeux/" target="_blank">second part</a> of their interview (<a href="http://www.industrygamers.com/news/richard-garriott-de-cayeux-on-game-design-and-his-new-game/" target="_blank">here's part I</a>) with Richard Garriott a.k.a. Lord British.</p>
<blockquote>
<p><strong><span>IG:&nbsp;</span><span>When you did that game it was just you, you were the team.</span></strong></p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>RGC: Not only was Akalabeth written by myself, but Ultimas 1, 2, 3, amd 4 were essentially written by myself. Occasionally I'd get help with a subroutine or two or a piece of art here and there, but as a general rule all of the first 4 Ultimas and all of the prequels were written solo. It was only starting with Ultima 5 that I really began to have a team.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p><strong>IG: Did you use artists on any of the earlier ones?</strong></p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>RGC: No, I did all the art, I did all the sound effects, I wrote every line of text, I wrote every line of code, I wrote all the manuals, the prequels and all the way up though Ultima 4 were almost entirely solo endeavors, in every aspect. It was a one-man band.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p><strong>IG: Once more pixels were available it started to get more difficult, I guess.</strong></p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>RGC: In particular, once the graphical quality became sufficient to make use of a real artist, versus &ldquo;Draw on graph paper then have to convert to binary, and convert that to hexadecimal, then type in the hexadecimal then have to figure out how to move that around on the screen.&rdquo; Once there were art tools and paint tools and sufficient resolution to use them, then immediately artists became not only useful but essential.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Every artist we've ever hired has been a better artist than myself. Interestingly when we started hiring programmers, around the time of Ultima V, I believe I was at least as good a programmer as any other programmer. Over time now I no longer program and every programmer we hire is now a better programmer than me. In the field of design I am fairly critical of the vast majority of people who get into game design. What I mean by that is, some people have a magical art talent they picked up as a kid and then refined through education and then have a good portfolio of great art they've made, so you can hire them with confidence that they're a good artist. There's some that were nerdy enough as a kid to hack into computers and then go school and refine their coding technique so they can produce code samples and you can hire them with great confidence that you've hired a great programmer. Then there's the people who are neither artists nor programmers but still like to make games so they become designers. In my mind it is rare that anybody who gets into the field of design is actually better as a designer than all the programmers and all the artists, if you know what I mean. They have no background or skill or qualification that makes them better than the programmers and the artists, they just aren't a programmer and they aren't an artist as often as not.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>What makes me a powerful designer is I did write all the code once upon a time. I did draw all the art once upon a time. And I was the only designer for many, many years. So now, even though I think there are clearly other great designers in the field of computer games, I think it is extraordinarily rare and I would argue that amongst all the teams I ever used to work on the one skill where I still remain at the top of the heap is design.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>Now he only needs to put his superior design abilities to use and produce something worthwhile again.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/105892-richard-garriott-interview.html">Gamebanshee</a></p>

Morkar Left

I think he's right that there are too much design guys (and marketing, oh god marketing...) around who don't really qualify. Most of them seem just to be good in "writing" and don't have a clue about anything else.

The outstanding exceptions in "design only" are probably a minority. MCA as an example can write (like he has a degree in it), knows about video games (in like he played them!) and did or still does p&p sessions (teaches you how to implemenent a story with multiple outcomes into a game).
I think these are the basics you need to know to work on a rpg as a writer. As a gamedesigner you additionally need to know how to script at least and you need management qualities to do the overall project management and coordination.

If you only know how to write you end up with games like bioware produces them today...

Interesting interview after all but I think LB overestimates his capabilities as a programmer and designer nowadays. I consider his knowledge is mostly outdated by today and only his management capabilities are relevant. But I would still like to see him succeed big time again in gamemaking. Even if it is a game I'm not interested in.

Fatty

Augur
Well what I got out of that was a good game needs a good dictator. A design-er not a design team. In order to take advantage of modern technology you'll obviously need artists and code monkeys but you need one person with a vision that calls all the shots. Keep it simple.

Are there any "big" games these days with a strong designer instead of a team? Maybe the bucks have gotten so big its seen as too big a risk to put trust in a single individual to drive a project. A good reason to avoid the overproduced bullshit and take a longer look at the indie scene.

Repressed Homosexual
Haha, when you click on his company's website, the first thing you see is a huge LARPing portrait of him, and a reminded that this is the home of Lord British. I guess in almost 30 years of LARPing as Lord British this is inevitable.

Also remember the news where they said he was watching his employees on camera from a distance?

IdaGno

Educated
Jaesun said:
And now he wants to make shitty Facebook games...

Sunset Boulevard...it's not just a film.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom