Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Richard Garriott Actively Developing Another RPG

Do you play a lot of RPG-games? Then you might have a bright future in the world of internet poker as well. Learn poker rules and use your ability of getting into character when you bluff your opponents.

:/

Mortmal

Arcane
Abelon Blanchetourbe said:
Do you play a lot of RPG-games? Then you might have a bright future in the world of internet poker as well. Learn poker rules and use your ability of getting into character when you bluff your opponents.

:/

Yeah and beautiful single women are looking for us, or even good muslim brides if we dont want an "occidental whore", the ads cant lie. We are also the new messiahs scientology is waiting for! The whole world is on his knee and worship us!
But all i want is a decent rpg to play...

Baron

Arcane
Did anyone play Tabula Rasa? Admittedly, not a Codexian game, but for the few Mass Effects fans about (MOI!) it sounded great; guns, aliens, and capriciously deciding the fate of captured prisoners. I was disappointed it collapsed before I could play it. I don't care if Garriott walks around in plastic crown, he's earned that and a felt cape. I just wish he would drop the foolish pursuit of wealth promised by social network games (can he recall no mantra of shrine of humility?!), and make scifi games. Being the only RPG designer who has spent time on the International Space Station I imagine he has some insight.

Ruprekt said:
I now devote my time exclusively to billiards, whist and seducing young heiresses.
Early in the 18th century whist was not a fashionable game. The Hon. Daines Harrington (Archaeologia, vol. viii.) says it was the game of the servants' hall. Contemporary writers refer to it in a disparaging way, as being only fit for hunting men and country squires, and not for fine ladies or people of quality.
Oh Ruprekt... one of these days you'll bring a scandal to this fine house.

Chefe

Erudite
Garriott hasn't been relevant in 15 years. wtf guys come on...

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
Baron said:
Did anyone play Tabula Rasa? Admittedly, not a Codexian game, but for the few Mass Effects fans about (MOI!) it sounded great; guns, aliens, and capriciously deciding the fate of captured prisoners. I was disappointed it collapsed before I could play it. I don't care if Garriott walks around in plastic crown, he's earned that and a felt cape. I just wish he would drop the foolish pursuit of wealth promised by social network games (can he recall no mantra of shrine of humility?!), and make scifi games. Being the only RPG designer who has spent time on the International Space Station I imagine he has some insight.

I played it for a while. It actually wasn't too bad as far as MMO's go - at least it was different. Nice variety in classes and weapons, shooting and blowing shit up was fun. One really nice mechanic I recall was - periodically, the enemy NPC's (alien scum) would attack en mass a player (or friendly NPC) owned town or outpost. You'd get a message on your hud and it was up to all players in the area to come help defend.

If the base was taken over, then players would have to group up and plan an attack to take it back. Some really fun battles ensued....

Sometimes you could actually run into Garriot in-game (as LB), though I'm pretty sure he was invul - wasn't gonna get PK'd again lol.

Baron said:
Did anyone play Tabula Rasa?
It was free shortly before they shut it all down. To be honest it wasn't that bad but it wasn't good either. The lulzy part is there was exactly 1 quest with a CHOICE! There was a hurt enemy soldier and you could talk to him with dialogue trees and then decide to kill him or let him be. It really was a WTF moment, considering how all other quests were your usual "kill that guy", "collect X of that stuff", etc.

For some reason all human NPCs looked muscular and thin. You could say all of them were top models. Oh and the female NPCs had quite a lot of nice asses. :smug: I believe i still have some of those screenshots lying around here.

CraigCWB

Educated
Darth Roxor said:
CraigCWB said:
Crusader was shit.

Give me your address so I can send you a 50 lbs box of rape :x

Send it to yourself. Only a masochist could have liked that game. I expected either an RPG or a tactical strategy game with that overhead viewpoint and with origin's track record. Instead, they tried to make a (non-first person)shooter. It was a stupid idea, especially when it was competing with much more satisfactory games like X-COM and Jagged Alliance that used the same type of game engine but *didn't* try to make them shooters.

The game tanked badly when released and so I assume from your holier-than-thou attitude like I've insulted a classic that you didn't play it until much later and you somehow think that the fact you happen to like it must mean that it was a well-respected title at the time, or something?

Weird how that works. Origin took a beating for doing the same kind of thing with Ultima 8 yet somehow you think it was a plus when they put much more of the "arcade game" thing in an unknown new title...

The game tanked badly when released

Source ? I assumed it was a success since they were able to make a sequel and the reviews I read back in the day were all positive. I was pretty surprised when I discovered what a clunky mess it really was.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
CraigCWB said:
Darth Roxor said:
CraigCWB said:
Crusader was shit.

Give me your address so I can send you a 50 lbs box of rape :x

Send it to yourself. Only a masochist could have liked that game. I expected either an RPG or a tactical strategy game with that overhead viewpoint and with origin's track record. Instead, they tried to make a (non-first person)shooter. It was a stupid idea, especially when it was competing with much more satisfactory games like X-COM and Jagged Alliance that used the same type of game engine but *didn't* try to make them shooters.
:what:

Drakron

Arcane
CraigCWB said:
And Flight Sims? Seriously? Not even gonna comment on that except to say that AH-64 was not a good example of a flight sim.

It was a Realistic Sim, I taken me a few hours to get a hang of the gunner station.

It was not pants on retardo "realistic" sim were the realism is the god aweful controls, it was also a Jane's series that meant most stats were dead on (at least dead on as far Jane's got them).

I still remember playing the Korean add-on and when I was landing on my base camp a North Korean sniper disabled my tail rotor, after I dealt with him I spend about 5 minutes landing.

Also Strike Commander and Pacific Strike were good games, even if arcade-like but very fun to play ... it sounds you are a dumbfuck considering how you disdain anything from Origin that is not Ultima.

Also this "dude" never played Ultima Online, only MMO I ever played was WoW for a few months to get MMO out of my system.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Drakron said:
Also Strike Commander and Pacific Strike were good games, even if arcade-like but very fun to play
SC was good fun. PS was a PoS IIRC... it had horrible system requirements (much worse than SC even though it used the same engine), was extremely buggy (even by Origin standards) and could only play one sound at a time or some shit like that... I remember it being unplayable.

But anyway none of Origin's "flying" games were ever good simulators (WC or SC) but they were lots of fun.

CraigCWB

Educated
The game tanked badly when released

Source ?

The source is me. Feel free to cite wiki experts in rebuttal if you like, though :)

I assumed it was a success since they were able to make a sequel...

A lot of bad games have had sequels. And a lot of good games, haven't. Origin invested in a lot of crappy games during that time period.

...and the reviews I read back in the day were all positive.

It was Origin Systems and Richard Garriott, back when everyone thought they could walk on water. I bought the game just based on their rep, myself.

I was pretty surprised when I discovered what a clunky mess it really was.

Well, that's why wikipedia needs better experts. Their articles almost never match the consensus of opinion amongst PC gamers back in the day. And to add insult to injury they frequently get basics like release dates wrong. Unfortunately games like crusader are so old that there isn't even much on usenet about it because the internet was still pretty niche back then. The gaming community was mostly on Compuserve, Genie, AOL(<--lightweights) and etc. Maybe they should at least endeaver to make sure that whoever is doing the entry for a game was at least around at the time it was released, and played it back then. Or is that asking too much?

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
I have played Crusader No Regret about two years after it was released. It was pretty good for what it is, but probably would be better with mouse-aim and a cursor.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
The Crusader controls seem clunky for the first 30-60 minutes, but ones you get a grip on them, you start rolling around and exploding enemies like a bro.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Darth Roxor said:
The Crusader controls seem clunky for the first 30-60 minutes, but ones you get a grip on them, you start rolling around and exploding enemies like a bro.

This. Fucking great series, being able to blast everything, shoot corporate fucks in their chairs or set them on fire, Good pseudo anarchic, anti-corporatist message. What's not to like?

Oh and Longbow was fine as well, perfect balance between anal '200 keystrokes to get off the ground' realism and simplification that gives an approximation of real combat without losing the element of enjoyability.

Shitty Anti-Origin troll is shitty.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom