Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Revisiting Old Games (Again)

Reality

Learned
MDK, metal arms: glitch in the system, and Risk of rain 2 are the only TPS I've ever really enjoyed and I don't think metal arms will hold up if I ever replay it.

Jrpgfan

Erudite
Is there a megadrive thread?
My top cart games:
Altered Beast
Fatal labyrinth
Starflight
Splatter house 3 then 2
Streets of rage trilogy
Phantasy Star 2-4
Populous
Batman returns
Golden axe 1-2

Those are the games i recall spending the most time on replaying so much. There are probably others I am forgetting.
My top cart games:
Altered Beast
Fatal labyrinth
Starflight
Splatter house 3 then 2
Streets of rage trilogy
Phantasy Star 2-4
Populous
Batman returns
Golden axe 1-2

Those are the games i recall spending the most time on replaying so much. There are probably others I am forgetting.
Fine choices! Great to see Starflight in there.

So, even though, I didn't log it all in here, I really dug deep into both Megadrive and SNES libraries, and the SEGA one was just bliss. Top tier gaming for almost every genre. My personal top 10 cart games would be:
  • Thunderforce 3
  • Hellfire
  • Star Control
  • Phantasy Star 4
  • Contra: Hard Corps
  • Revenge of Shinobi
  • Shining Force 2
  • Ghouls N' Ghosts
  • Bare Knuckle 3
  • Atomic Runner
Amazing that Golden Axe doesn't even make the cut, it's still one of my fave games ever and I play on it all the time with the wife. But the library is just SO good that cutting it down to 10 is almost impossible.
A game that you guys didn't mention, probably because it wasn't even that popular, that I remember playing and enjoying a lot is ESWAT. I liked that game so much that I've managed to finish it multiple times at a very young age despite the game being regarded as very hard even for teenagers(it's been a while though so I don't know if it was true or my friends were just bad at videogames).

Other great games that I remember spending a lot of time with that I'd put on my top list are Earthworm Jim 2, Rocket Knight Adventures 2, Comix Zone, Toejam & Earl and Castle of Illusion.

Falksi

Arcane
My top cart games:
Altered Beast
Fatal labyrinth
Starflight
Splatter house 3 then 2
Streets of rage trilogy
Phantasy Star 2-4
Populous
Batman returns
Golden axe 1-2

My top cart games:
Altered Beast
Fatal labyrinth
Starflight
Splatter house 3 then 2
Streets of rage trilogy
Phantasy Star 2-4
Populous
Batman returns
Golden axe 1-2

So, even though, I didn't log it all in here, I really dug deep into both Megadrive and SNES libraries, and the SEGA one was just bliss. Top tier gaming for almost every genre. My personal top 10 cart games would be:
  • Thunderforce 3
  • Hellfire
  • Star Control
  • Phantasy Star 4
  • Revenge of Shinobi
  • Shining Force 2
  • Ghouls N' Ghosts
  • Bare Knuckle 3
  • Atomic Runner
Amazing that Golden Axe doesn't even make the cut, it's still one of my fave games ever and I play on it all the time with the wife. But the library is just SO good that cutting it down to 10 is almost impossible.
A game that you guys didn't mention, probably because it wasn't even that popular, that I remember playing and enjoying a lot is ESWAT. I liked that game so much that I've managed to finish it multiple times at a very young age despite the game being regarded as very hard even for teenagers(it's been a while though so I don't know if it was true or my friends were just bad at videogames).

Other great games that I remember spending a lot of time with that I'd put on my top list are Earthworm Jim 2, Rocket Knight Adventures 2, Comix Zone, Toejam & Earl and Castle of Illusion.
I've got a real soft spot for E-Swat, I'd say it's challenging but not hard, with some areas dropping a pinch-point in here and there (which I think others get deterred by).

Comix Zone is up there in my top 50 games of all time, incredibly original and imaginative game. It was the closet we got to a God Of War style adventure-brawler of that era, and you can guarantee that if it had been on Nintendo all their modern day simp journos would be raving about it's influence on adventure-brawlers constantly lol.

Jrpgfan

Erudite
My top cart games:
Altered Beast
Fatal labyrinth
Starflight
Splatter house 3 then 2
Streets of rage trilogy
Phantasy Star 2-4
Populous
Batman returns
Golden axe 1-2

My top cart games:
Altered Beast
Fatal labyrinth
Starflight
Splatter house 3 then 2
Streets of rage trilogy
Phantasy Star 2-4
Populous
Batman returns
Golden axe 1-2

• Thunderforce 3
  • Hellfire
  • Star Control
  • Phantasy Star 4
  • Revenge of Shinobi
  • Shining Force 2
  • Ghouls N' Ghosts
  • Bare Knuckle 3
  • Atomic Runner

I've got a real soft spot for E-Swat, I'd say it's challenging but not hard, with some areas dropping a pinch-point in here and there (which I think others get deterred by).

Comix Zone is up there in my top 50 games of all time, incredibly original and imaginative game. It was the closet we got to a God Of War style adventure-brawler of that era, and you can guarantee that if it had been on Nintendo all their modern day simp journos would be raving about it's influence on adventure-brawlers constantly lol.
Comix zone is one of the best(if not the best) Beat em ups ever made. Beats me how it never got a sequel. It's a pretty unique game that excelled in both gameplay and visuals.

Falksi

Arcane
My top cart games:
Altered Beast
Fatal labyrinth
Starflight
Splatter house 3 then 2
Streets of rage trilogy
Phantasy Star 2-4
Populous
Batman returns
Golden axe 1-2

My top cart games:
Altered Beast
Fatal labyrinth
Starflight
Splatter house 3 then 2
Streets of rage trilogy
Phantasy Star 2-4
Populous
Batman returns
Golden axe 1-2

• Thunderforce 3
  • Hellfire
  • Star Control
  • Phantasy Star 4
  • Revenge of Shinobi
  • Shining Force 2
  • Ghouls N' Ghosts
  • Bare Knuckle 3
  • Atomic Runner

Comix zone is one of the best(if not the best) Beat em ups ever made. Beats me how it never got a sequel. It's a pretty unique game that excelled in both gameplay and visuals.
So I've actually become mates with a few folk who used to work for SEGA of America over the past few years, and they tell me Comix Zone was a victim of the SEGA in-fighting between SoA and SoJ.

SoJ kissed SoA's ass big time whilst profits where soaring, but when issues arose via the Saturn & 32X SoJ started being arseholes to SoA. This included putting the block on sequels to great/successful games such as Comix Zone, and the rest as they say is history.

One of the SEGA lads who was involved with Eternal Champions was set for another franchise in that style too called Dimension Raiders, but SoJ kyboshed that as well...

skrf99p.png

Beans00

Augur
I had comix zone and it was too fucking hard.

Amazing looking game for the genesis, especially when you compare it to the early titles like altered beast and rambo 3. It was seriously one of the hardest platformers I ever played to the point where it became completely unenjoyable.

Not hard in a 'this game sucks with retarded mechanics way' like Jim power in the lost dimensions for snes(which I also had).

I also had Chakan the forever man for genesis which was comparably difficult to comix zone. Chakan felt like a shittier game with asshole level design though.

Machocruz

Arcane
MDK, metal arms: glitch in the system, and Risk of rain 2 are the only TPS I've ever really enjoyed and I don't think metal arms will hold up if I ever replay it.
Yeah I guess games like those would be the closest, although they don't have the cool, 80s action movie x 10 aesthetic that Contra and others had.

Machocruz

Arcane
Since we're doing favorite MD/Genesis lists

Shadowrun - Not a remake guy, but would make an exception for a refined version.
Road Rash 2
Shinobi 3
Strider - on my top 10 games of all time list.
QuackShot Starring Donald Duck
World of Illusion
Madden '93
Sonic 1-3 - which one depends on my mood
Jungle Strike
Zombies Ate My Neighbors

Not all exclusives, but these are what I liked most on there. Honorable mentions to Gauntlet 4, The Immortal, and Flashback.

Falksi

Arcane
I had comix zone and it was too fucking hard.

Amazing looking game for the genesis, especially when you compare it to the early titles like altered beast and rambo 3. It was seriously one of the hardest platformers I ever played to the point where it became completely unenjoyable.

Not hard in a 'this game sucks with retarded mechanics way' like Jim power in the lost dimensions for snes(which I also had).

I also had Chakan the forever man for genesis which was comparably difficult to comix zone. Chakan felt like a shittier game with asshole level design though.

Chakan is a bitch, my bane of gaming, those platforming challenges have to be pixel perfect far too often. Definitely not as good as Comix Zone, nowhere near.

I never had an issue with the Comix zone difficulty though. It is challenging most definitely, but it feels mostly fair and just requires a bit of switch in mindset from outright BEU to adventure-BEU to succeed. I can actually no-death that game now, although it's also very easy to make a slip-up to kill a no-death run too, and you certainly need the right random item drops to fall your way as well for a NDR.

Since we're doing favorite MD/Genesis lists

Shadowrun - Not a remake guy, but would make an exception for a refined version.
Road Rash 2
Shinobi 3
Strider - on my top 10 games of all time list.
QuackShot Starring Donald Duck
World of Illusion
Madden '93
Sonic 1-3 - which one depends on my mood
Jungle Strike
Zombies Ate My Neighbors

Not all exclusives, but these are what I liked most on there. Honorable mentions to Gauntlet 4, The Immortal, and Flashback.
Some beasting picks chap. Strider and Shinobi 3 are such lush games. This is what gets me with the SEGA Megadrive library, there's just SO much quality in it. I'm looking at everyone's picks, and most of the games featured I see as "must own" for my own collection. Out of all the ones you mention, the only one I'm not that keen on is Zombies Ate My Neighbors, but the rest again fall into the "must-own" bracket for me.

Machocruz

Arcane
Some beasting picks chap. Strider and Shinobi 3 are such lush games. This is what gets me with the SEGA Megadrive library, there's just SO much quality in it. I'm looking at everyone's picks, and most of the games featured I see as "must own" for my own collection.
Same way I feel looking at others' lists. Revenge of Shinobi, SoR2, SF2 are easily up there but I wanted to keep it to 10.

I'm putting together two more lists: games I didn't even know were on MD, and games I knew about, wanted, but never saw on shelves. I intend to play them sometime too. Can you believe I never saw Thunder Force 3 in stores?! An objectively star title on the system, WTF Chicago?!

Falksi

Arcane
Some beasting picks chap. Strider and Shinobi 3 are such lush games. This is what gets me with the SEGA Megadrive library, there's just SO much quality in it. I'm looking at everyone's picks, and most of the games featured I see as "must own" for my own collection.
Same way I feel looking at others' lists. Revenge of Shinobi, SoR2, SF2 are easily up there but I wanted to keep it to 10.

I'm putting together two more lists: games I didn't even know were on MD, and games I knew about, wanted, but never saw on shelves. I intend to play them sometime too. Can you believe I never saw Thunder Force 3 in stores?! An objectively star title on the system, WTF Chicago?!
Nice. Yeah, my copy of Thunderforce 3 is Wapanese, the UK had an easy-access import market thanks to people like Tony Takushi, and so I nabbed that as soon as I saw it advertised.

Jrpgfan

Erudite
Youtube recommended me a video of a Mega Drive game I used to play a lot and ended up being one of my favorites back then:

When EA still made some good games. It's kinda sad they ended up being the pioneers of the decline of modern games.

Nutmeg

Arcane
Vatnik Wumao
For me it's

Rocket Knight
Twinkle Tale
Elemental Master
Granada
Ex-Ranza
Kyukyoku Tiger
Same! Same! Same!
Thunder force 4
Senjou no Okami 2
Vampire Killer

Falksi

Arcane
For me it's

Rocket Knight
Twinkle Tale
Elemental Master
Granada
Ex-Ranza
Kyukyoku Tiger
Same! Same! Same!
Thunder force 4
Senjou no Okami 2
Vampire Killer
Elemental Master is one of my "comfort games". Whenever I need to detach from everything, it's just so easy to sink into and enjoy. Technosoft were fucking genius'. And great to see some love for Twinkle Tale, deceptively challenging that one.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Pity on Chakan. I didn't even have a manual or cart holder. I picked it up 2nd hand. Cool ass character but game was hard as all hell.

Machocruz

Arcane
So games that I didn't know were on Genesis until well after, that I would have been interested in:

Double Dragon 2
Super Smash TV
Saturday Night Slam Masters
Mickey Mania
Outrunners
Populous
Prince of Persia
Super SF2
Syndicate
Blade of Vengeance

Games that I knew of, was interested in, but never saw in stores:

Tecmo Super Bowl
Alisia Dragoon
Arcus Odyssey
Ys 3
Mystic Defender - didn't know it was Spellcaster related though
Blaster Master 2
Contra Hard Corps
Mega Man Wily Wars
El Viento
Growl
MUSHA
Raiden Trad
Rolling Thunder 2
Starflight
Star Control
Thunderforce 3

And is it just me or do games today, even from Japan, lack cool characters and themes compared to the 80s and 90s? I mean in 3D space. Could be just that so many games came out back then, but still. We need more ass kicking in the streets and commandos in wife-beaters running through the jungle.

Jrpgfan

Erudite
I thought for a long time Prince of Persia was actually a Genesis exclusive because none of my friends with a snes had it. It's weird seeing someone thinking the other way around.

Nutmeg

Arcane
Vatnik Wumao

It can take a while to get used to managing both your mech and the weapons platform, but it makes for a very unique game and it's very rewarding once you get a hang of it. Timestamped to the stage where you use your weapons platform for close range air strike support from above the canopy cover. Really cool use of the Mega Drive's fast palette swapping as well.

6 button pad helps with the controls.

Nutmeg

Arcane
Vatnik Wumao
And is it just me or do games today, even from Japan, lack cool characters and themes compared to the 80s and 90s? I mean in 3D space. Could be just that so many games came out back then, but still. We need more ass kicking in the streets and commandos in wife-beaters running through the jungle.
My understanding is that the commando characters appearing in various Japanese games and the Streets of Rage characters specifically were made to appeal to the American market in a serious way, and only ironically in the Japanese market.

Machocruz

Arcane

It can take a while to get used to managing both your mech and the weapons platform, but it makes for a very unique game and it's very rewarding once you get a hang of it. Timestamped to the stage where you use your weapons platform for close range air strike support from above the canopy cover. Really cool use of the Mega Drive's fast palette swapping as well.

Notice Synchronicity 1 by The Police, starting at about 32:31

Falksi

Arcane

The originality and creativity in this game is very underrated. Took me a while to get into, but was worth persisting with for sure, very clever game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom