Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Return To Monkey Island - MI2 sequel from Ron Gilbert

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well, that's the thing, maybe Ron had zero input to the direction of the graphics for the first two Monkey Island games. We don't know for absolute certainty, but I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case.

Just look at the credits for MM1, it's a bit of a stretch to call it "his game". Yes, the original concept was his, but according to the credits, he did 33% of the coding, 33% of the writing, and 0% of the art and the music. So effectively he was one (important) member in a team of 20-30. But most likely it wasn't his decision to approve the art.

https://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/secret-of-monkey-island/credits

Oh, and Falksi mentioned he couldn't believe this is the same guy who came up with the sword fighting insults. Turns out that was someone else entirely (check first and last lines in his Game Credits section).
Yeah, but... Thimbleweed Park looked good and he had full control over that. Granted it was a shoestring budget but still...

1657107363892.jpeg

1657107444917.png

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy
Ron isn't ignorant he knows his shit, but retro-fascists are not his primary target audience. Twitter obedient Ron-bots are exactly what he needs now. I'm sure even if the puzzles suck, Ron-bots will still praise him.
Curious to see what these idiots will have to say if the puzzles are easy (same people who claim that art doesn't matter if gameplay is good).

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy
Puzzles don't matter if the story is good!!
If puzzles suck, at least I'm expecting a masterfully crafted story with philosophical questions similar to "what can change the nature of a pirate?". Also I'm tempted to tell him on Twitter that if the game is successful, he should make MI4 with toothpicks.

Last edited:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If puzzles suck, at least I'm expecting a masterfully crafted story with philosophical questions similar to "what can change the nature of a pirate?". Also I'm tempted to tell him on Twitter that if the game is successful, he should made MI4 with toothpicks.

The story doesn't matter as long as the jokes aren't offensive!

Brancaleone

Prophet
If puzzles suck, at least I'm expecting a masterfully crafted story with philosophical questions similar to "what can change the nature of a pirate?". Also I'm tempted to tell him on Twitter that if the game is successful, he should made MI4 with toothpicks.

The story doesn't matter as long as the jokes aren't offensive!
Jokes don't matter as long as the game is inclusive!

Falksi

Arcane
Oh, and Falksi mentioned he couldn't believe this is the same guy who came up with the sword fighting insults. Turns out that was someone else entirely (check first and last lines in his Game Credits section).

Doesn't surprise me. That's one of the most genius, most socially aware bits of game development ever IMO. No one who comes up with that snaps at a bit of criticism or trolling, they'd be reveling in humiliating the trolls and taking the piss back.

negator2vc

Scholar
if we are going by what devs say they've done then tim schafer single handedly ran lucasarts
Probably was ;)
After all he did put his touch on most of the iconic games at that time (like Full throttle, Grim Fandango, Day of the Tentacle).
Certainly more than Gilbert.
Funny thing that he is the one missing from the RtMI team.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Reminds me of that LISA: The Painful joke:

That's what an edgelord would think for a joke. The real joke would be for the sign to read: "There's nothing important above, please don't climb the rope". Of course, all us spergers would nevertheless climb the rope, to find a sign saying "nothing to see here... move along" or something.

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy
the first part of the game was ok
and the game's art was ok (and it certainly didn't burn my eyes like the RtMI art)
If you compare it with RtMI sure, but I'm not ok with just "ok". Given how much money he gathered and what were the promises, I'm not ok with mediocrities. Numenera and Broken Age are the 2 biggest fiascos of KS history.

lightbane

Arcane
Reminds me of that LISA: The Painful joke:

That's what an edgelord would think for a joke. The real joke would be for the sign to read: "There's nothing important above, please don't climb the rope". Of course, all us spergers would nevertheless climb the rope, to find a sign saying "nothing to see here... move along" or something.

You kinda get that in the DLC:

Luka-boy

Arcane
When even heavy metal bands have a better sense of comedic, cartoony pirate aesthetics than a Monkey friggin' Island developer.

Alex

Arcane
Well, that's the thing, maybe Ron had zero input to the direction of the graphics for the first two Monkey Island games. We don't know for absolute certainty, but I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case.

Just look at the credits for MM1, it's a bit of a stretch to call it "his game". Yes, the original concept was his, but according to the credits, he did 33% of the coding, 33% of the writing, and 0% of the art and the music. So effectively he was one (important) member in a team of 20-30. But most likely it wasn't his decision to approve the art.

https://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/secret-of-monkey-island/credits

Yeah, but... Thimbleweed Park looked good and he had full control over that. Granted it was a shoestring budget but still...

View attachment 25934
View attachment 25935

Yeah, on thinbleweed park he decided to take a dump on the game's story and setting instead...

Maybe he just like annoying people that play his games?

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
When even heavy metal bands have a better sense of comedic, cartoony pirate aesthetics than a Monkey friggin' Island developer.

I wouldn't mind if RMI looked like this.

While still far from the promised land, it's a big improvement over the current art style. You can easily read the scenes, it's obvious what is in the foreground in the background, there's a sense of space and distance, etc. And no cubism.

Drop Duck

Learned
Actually, I wish the game had easily readable art like in the "corporate" examples in the video. My main problem isn't even with the style (although I strongly dislike it), but with the readability as others have pointed out. It's just too busy, and you cannot easily see what's supposed to be the foreground and the background.
Finally someone with artistic sense. I would love if the next Monkey Island looked like a Google doodle.

WxYMP3R.jpg

bxYNACf.gif

RqiEtmd.gif

x3nrc5d.png

But it doesn't have the universal appeal of the sleek and easily read art style that the biggest businesses around employs. RtMI looks more like a cheap outsourced cartoon that only very young children would put up with. Reverse googling a screenshot from the game gives you results such as My Little Pony and the resemblance is there. With RtMI they applied the same techniques they used in the backgrounds in MLP to the characters themselves instead of trying to make digital look like cell animation.

ivllVHs.jpg

2KVwx8E.jpg

Retrofascists should learn the difference.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom