Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial Remembering... Planescape: Torment

Kaanyrvhok

Arbiter
poetic codex said:
The biggest gripes for me in PST were the dialogue, quest design, combat, and UI. These are the basic RPG building blocks.

Compared to what though? I cant name anything with a significantly better UI and I'm not a mouse and keyboard junkie. I cant name a game with much better dialog options and the actual dialog was at least top 10 maybe top 5 material. The quest design was better than most RPGs too. I've seen much worse on the fetch quest circuit and the rest of the quest were top 5 material as well.

Lexx

Cipher
At least the fetch quest don't require you to run across the whole planes from left to right and back and again.

I don't really mind fetch quests, as long as they aren't tedious and made up fancy (no "bring me 10 molerat pelts" stuff). What I hate are fetch quests that require me to run over some huge area over and over again to farm some shit I couldn't care less about.

Phelot

Arcane
The background of the fetch quests were what made them fun for me. Becoming a mage with Mebbeth(spelling? It's been awhile...) was oddly entertaining for me simply because the writing was a lot of fun. No, it's not deep, but the characters seemed to be. In the end, the mage quests were essentially: go get laundry, bring back, go get seeds, bring back, go get ink, go get container for ink, bring back.

EDIT: Of course that's all pure storyfag excuses, but I don't care. It was great fun exploring the setting and the characters.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom