Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Reload a game and the game world changes

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
DraQ said:
Of course, the problem with TN is that the missions are pretty short, otherwise they'd infringe on player's ability to ration their gaming time. The point of this thread is trying to achieve similar effect without having to forcibly keep player in front of their box
Yeah I know, hency my more on-topic edit. On the subject of TN though I'd like to add that I thought mission length was just right. Some of the longer ones took me around 8-9 minutes, but never 10 or more. That's perfect: the reason they took so long is because I was being extra-careful not to do something stupid (and therefore have to restart), but they're not SO long that you'd get halfway through one at 30 minutes then realize you've run out of time and need to go.

OTOH, the reward approach would have certain edge psychologically, as it would have much less butthurt potential
In a way both approaches are the same - you could see it as "rewarded with better item for not reloading" or "penalized with worse item for reloading". It's just a matter of presentation, and as you said the reward "marketing" has a better psychological edge. After all, you want your players to feel rewarded for succeeding at the challenge, and if they fail to still have a good motive to try it again (on a subsequent playthrough maybe?). You don't want them to feel like you're insulting them for failing the challenge - if only because you want them to buy your next game too. Niche games like roguelike don't have this problem obviously (because their players are hardcore to begin with) but if you want to implement this system on a more accessible level (and I'm talking Fallout or Daggerfal accessible here, not Oblivion) the pschological edge has its importance.

Also, the reason I was thinking of it as "reward vs penalty" in the previous post is that I was actually subconsciously thinking of saving instead of reloading (which is kinda another mechanic entirely, and which I think we agree is a bad idea).

If they can make their app keep running even if there is power outage or storm surge, they definitely deserve the latter.
Well laptops. Unless of course you're playing a Ubisoft or Steam game :smug:

Though it's funny, how, even if such an unrelated discussion religion and lack of mental health seem to go hand in hand.
Wait when did religion get there? Oh, you mean God striking players who don't save down with a power surge during a storm? :M

DraQ

Arcane
Sceptic said:
BTW: How far did you get, have you finished already?

if you want to implement this system on a more accessible level (and I'm talking Fallout or Daggerfal accessible here, not Oblivion) the pschological edge has its importance.
Then again, Daggerfall was all to eager to announce "by the way, I forgot to tell you that a rat gave you a plague four saves ago, you will die within a week, have a good time!".

;)

Also, the reason I was thinking of it as "reward vs penalty" in the previous post is that I was actually subconsciously thinking of saving instead of reloading (which is kinda another mechanic entirely, and which I think we agree is a bad idea).
We do agree. Unless we adopt the second approach - ironman with random autosaves (in several cyclically overwritten slots) you can revert to freely and which persist after PC's death (or TPK if party-based), manual save on exit and obeying ironman rule - player should be allowed to spam quicksave as often as he wants.

Wait when did religion get there?
Deification VS institutionalization - which is more fitting and why?*

*) Discuss!!

DraQ

Arcane
PandaBreeder said:
The problem with this kind of mechanic is that it requires a very "modular" design. I doubt you could make a story-based game with this.
Why?

Unless "story-based" means "rail up your ass all the way through", in which case GTFO.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom