Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Redacted

Cassidy

Arcane
Do you remember the ancient tradition of adding comics to LP threads as a glorified form of bump?

Very well, here I am reviving it with Miriam's favorite childhood strips.

:M

1041_02.gif

1041_03.gif

1041_04.gif

1041_05.gif

1041_06.gif

1041_07.gif

1041_08.gif

1041_09.gif

1041_10.gif

1041_11.gif

1041_12.gif

1041_13.gif

1041_14.gif

1041_15.gif

1041_16.gif

1041_17.gif

1041_18.gif

1041_19.gif

1041_20.gif

1041_21.gif

1041_22.gif

Hope this has been amusing. I'm saving the best for later.

*Edit: who the hell edited my post to remove the pics and why? Did DU let a fanatical creationist bible-thumper in that got butthurt?

Nvm, looks like it was some silly forum bug or something.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Don't make me hate God, Cass. I really hate those teachings they spew in my younger days. Guilt tripping bullshit.

Esquilax

Arcane
Also, remember Miriam and the Believers, like the other SMAC factions, are all pretty multisided: Miriam is too generalized into the crazy radical fundie, and sometimes people forgot she's a very intelligent lady with a good education and one of the voice of ethics in SMAC when everyone else and his dog was making all kinds of wacky dangerous shit with their uber-tech.

Absolutely. This is what I love about Alpha Centauri - you can't pidgeonhole any particular faction as completely idiotic and the game never resorted to strawman arguments to make a particular ideology look silly. At times Miriam seems reminiscent of Dostoevsky (my favourite writer) because she seems to be the only one who thinks about the implications that new technology and modernity will have on the quality and sense of fulfillment in human lives. I love how the game had such a nuanced way at looking at these things.

"The righteous need not cower before the drumbeat of human progress. Though the song of yesterday fades into the challenge of tomorrow, God still watches and judges us. Evil lurks in the datalinks as it lurked in the streets of yesteryear. But it was never the streets that were evil."

Cassidy

Arcane
Also, remember Miriam and the Believers, like the other SMAC factions, are all pretty multisided: Miriam is too generalized into the crazy radical fundie, and sometimes people forgot she's a very intelligent lady with a good education and one of the voice of ethics in SMAC when everyone else and his dog was making all kinds of wacky dangerous shit with their uber-tech.

Absolutely. This is what I love about Alpha Centauri - you can't pidgeonhole any particular faction as completely idiotic and the game never resorted to strawman arguments to make a particular ideology look silly. At times Miriam seems reminiscent of Dostoevsky (my favourite writer) because she seems to be the only one who thinks about the implications that new technology and modernity will have on the quality and sense of fulfillment in human lives. I love how the game had such a nuanced way at looking at these things

Pravin Lal also makes some cautious statements about the Mind-Machine Interface and the Cybernetics techs, like how they are being used by some factions for "creating their own private armies of demons" and how he wonders what the cold machine is sending back through the Cybernetic implant: "evolution is at work here: what remains to be seen is what is evolving.". However his main concern is at how new technologies might threaten human liberty and democracy(IE: Thought Control Future Society) than on the all the possible threats of wanton use of new technologies.

Another interesting quote of Miriam in one of the very late game techs is probably a nod to the problem of evil and indicates they are gradually questioning their own beliefs and dogmas in face of new scientific discoveries: "Why must God be perfect in the first place?" or something like that.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
May the world be pure. I pray for your success.

Lindblum

Augur
For the LORD!
Lal deserves to die! We now have a new test subject for future prototypes... The Peacekeepers

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Lal is currently insignificant, and indeed, his faction can be squeezed for energy and research. Leave him be until he commits fully to treachery, taking every occasion to appropriate his funds and research. The conflict with the Hive is much more important. :salute:

Cassidy

Arcane
Believers propaganda would try to paint the war against the Hive as the very Battle of Megiddo between the forces of good and evil.

Also, totally relevant to what is happening in the LP:

WE MUST DISSENT

2a0gjr7.jpg

1zwm6b8.jpg

35bxbhl.jpg

2e36dqq.jpg

205cgpj.jpg

1glxn7.jpg

dxg5li.jpg

2rmm58x.jpg

34pjjhv.jpg

17y83o.jpg

wgyd52.jpg

9vjfp0.jpg

23tr33t.jpg

10e0tb4.jpg

bfgnjp.jpg

10rtpqx.jpg

29x9nhf.jpg

yecds.jpg

dwusjo.jpg

21e9ezc.jpg

xdwhvp.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom