Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Red Dead Redemption 2: Good or shit?

unseeingeye

Cleric/Mage
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
That is probably the best reason to check out first person mode, yeah ^^; though another way to see those lovely little details is to enter photo mode mid-fight.

I think I actually first found that series with Jonathan Ferguson precisely because so much love was put into the guns in RDR2. Almost singlehandedly gave me an interest in firearms between the sense of personality they're given and the importance they have in amplifying agency (to great and terrible consequences) throughout the story.
I also enjoy rifling through peoples pockets when looting them in first-person mode! The way he turns people over, or lifts them up by the chest, &c it is very immersive and well animated. But absolutely I play the game 99% in third-person mode with the nearest camera setting. I know on PC you can adjust the FOV by a significant margin, too.

That's pretty cool that you found the series through him. I'd played the earlier games back in the day and so naturally was blown away when they announced this one, though as I mentioned a few pages back my initial experience with the game was positive but ultimately lukewarm. It was only after returning to it that I realized how deep the game actually is, and how much I'd missed out on or simply went unaware of in my initial play through which, admittedly was mostly focused on the narrative.

My interest in firearms isn't great but I do very much admire them as works of art and find their design and functioning to be fascinating. If I could own them I unquestionably would, but as a felon I'm unfortunately unable to. Their history and development is something I am very much into reading though, and being able to use virtual recreations of specific guns in video games is certainly a lot of fun.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Such a shame the Navy conversion is still held hostage by RDO.

They basically outsourced everything to do with the online component, which is why it got barely a percent of the love and care that the actual game received. Executives not understanding their audiences and wanting another GTAO-style cash cow, and putting in the tackiest, ugliest cosmetics imaginable -- doubly so if you played as a female character, jfc. Despite all the feedback online said "let us look normal", whatever poor sod working in Delhi on updates decided to put fluorescent pink cheetah prints and ridiculous bucket hats. Painfully farcical. Can't imagine who it appealed to outside 12 year olds "borrowing" mommy's credit card.

It was only after returning to it that I realized how deep the game actually is, and how much I'd missed out on or simply went unaware of in my initial play through which, admittedly was mostly focused on the narrative.
Hah, I'm basically forcing myself not to touch it again for another year. I could spend an absurd amount of time in that world if I let myself.

My interest in firearms isn't great but I do very much admire them as works of art and find their design and functioning to be fascinating. If I could own them I unquestionably would, but as a felon I'm unfortunately unable to. Their history and development is something I am very much into reading though, and being able to use virtual recreations of specific guns in video games is certainly a lot of fun.
Yeah, I'm not super into military whatevers by any means, but the ingenuity displayed in the history of firearms development is a pretty neat little subject unto itself. I think it's in part that they're so small -- relatively speaking -- and don't rely on electronics.

Sorry to hear about that other stuff. Kinda flies in the face of both the second amendment and the whole supposed mission of the justice system that you're not entitled to the same rights afterwards. :| (Though here you can't have a single thing for self-defence, not even pepper spray. Meant to rely on cops for protection, even after that whole saga. If you can get a license for something, and it's definitely an if, you basically need to keep it locked in a safe at all times, lest some curtain twitcher see something through a window and call the peelers on you.)

unseeingeye

Cleric/Mage
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Such a shame the Navy conversion is still held hostage by RDO.
I know! That one definitely disappointed me; I don't understand why at this point they can't just give the story mode an update with the firearms and variants exclusive to the online mode. Everything about the online mode was mismanaged and an abomination, I don't even like seeing the option for it when I launch the game. It is so anathema to the slow paced, lonely and immersive feel of the base game. Look I'm not into multiplayer online games to begin with, but I would definitely had made an exception for it were this one to have been done well. But just as you've said, it is a major shit show.

I've replayed the base game several times now, but like you I had to force myself to take a very long break because although I've yet to burn out on the game, I fear that happening and take precautions to avoid it. Most of my play time was on Xbox after it released, so besides my first play through which I'd finished before the online mode was released, I played it again throughout 2019 and probably 2020 was the last time I replayed it. At some point last summer I saw it was on sale for PC and I went on to read about the many graphical improvements and added stuff in the PC version, and earlier in the year I bought a powerful gaming laptop for myself for my birthday (my very first computer entirely my own, now my kids each have their own laptop so it is only used by me), so I figured why not check it out again? And I don't know how I didn't appreciate it before, but this time playing it was on life-changing levels of mind blowing. I hadn't felt that kind of all-consuming passion for a game since Daggerfall and Morrowind, or back when Fallout was new. Games these days just don't have that kind of power for me anymore, with a few exceptions that come close but don't quite reach those heights where I spend almost all of my time away from a game thinking about it, reading about it, for months.

For me it is an absolute masterpiece, a flawed one in certain regards surely, as all are in some way or another. But like you I could spend an unknown amount of time just existing in that world. I live on the east coast in the states and in an urban environment, so things like the geysers of Yellowstone, the deserts of Arizona, the sprawling great plains and dense canopied bayou country are all foreign to me. Being able to not only camp out and wander around in such gorgeous vistas of pastoral wonder, but to enter into deep meditative states while tracking prey and hunting predators within those environments, is such an incredible gift. I love the time period, I love the narrative and the characters, I love the violence and the pastoral serenity, the antique firearms in their glory, the bond you develop with a horse, discovering dozens of points of interest and secret locations, hidden weapons etc. Could go on forever gushing about the game!

NaturallyCarnivorousSheep

Albanian Deliberator Kang
Patron
Possibly Retarded
I've played a couple dozens of hours of this piece of shit and it's the perfect example for the scourge that is destroying gayming. The scourge of StOrYfAgGoTrY

Let me start. THe game decisively Giveees playernerd a bunch of tools but then restricts what U cna do wiyt it, because Dan Horsefucker, main desinigger of it had to give you the cinmeartic moment. Fag kid steals ur shit you have a gun you have a lasso, yuo can't use them on him, the game has taught you until this point how to, but I guess now it's time to just forget about it. It's not like the kid is gonna ever run away, no, he'll keep slowing down as he increases the distance and speeding up as he gets faster. Then you get the cuntscene show upa omh tuf strreeet keeeds. I already wanted to keel them. WHY IS TEH GAME FORCING US TO PUT UP WITH THIS. hERE'S UR ANSWERT - T leT dAN THE fAGogOT A FUCKING oppOORRtunity to show you his retarded story. This is peak desinigg according to some

people that should'nt be mentionted or named.l IT really makes me angery. The gaemplay desinigg is all over the place as well. ORMAGERD th3 game is so realistic it makes you clean your guns. Then you fire half of ur droom because a nigger asked you for help and turn around then pull them back from the holster omg it's 6 rounds again because we love realism so much we're gonna make ur guns reload automatically record scr
I really don't like it, one bit.

There AI is also not particularly competent, I can shoot St. Louis police until no end, they will try to flank me but I can always just jump over some short wall, flank them, magdump, retreat, reload guns rinse and repeat. This I think highlights the biggest issue of the game in certain sense, the fact that the hand-crafted combat sections happen very sporadically. Horse chases are, because of controls not keeping up with the pace, very meh no matter what, but a lot of combat sections get interesting after you start going all out. The game may be easy but at least the shooting gallery sections(breakout out of Strawberry and Valentine, storming of the plantation house etc) make you feel like there really may have been some decent game behind all this shit. Too bad it's rare. A real shame it's a clone of Mass Effect Andromeda. Far away from reaching its heights, usually oscillating around its lows instead.

atch which shows the compleyte gulf retardatiojn of the game desiniggers. And dopn't even get me started with the atrocious mechaniggers. For starters why does this gnome have stirrups icnreatinmg horse stamina when 1. the horse never runs out of it unless you have no hands
2 . the go
me offers many waysof restoring it like allowing you to feed the horse the same liver liver king eats to get big 3. it's shtupid
  • most other such horse accessories give u nothinkgn'
5 - - - - iT pains me a lot

to see some
thing like this

In concluisin this is just cargo cult design, strai
ght and simpe< SImilar case can be made for weapon modifications EVERY SINGLE ONE OF WHICH is desireable and they have no downsides so yes all ur guns will have lengthenend barrels''sd'

Buyt STORYGGERS will sauy5=. Storryfaggory was GO
OD In this game. ALl peeps act liek bitches instead of Micah so far. I could get along well with Micah IRL I think. The cuntscene-game power disparity is ginormous, withthe combat capability of Arthur he and his gang could just outright invade, loot and burn st. louis to then travel to Mexico on one of the looted steamships and live like kangz there. Really shamefur dispray

0/10 MONEY STOLEN

orcinator

Liturgist
I've played a couple dozens of hours of this piece of shit and it's the perfect example for the scourge that is destroying gayming. The scourge of StOrYfAgGoTrY

Let me start. THe game decisively Giveees playernerd a bunch of tools but then restricts what U cna do wiyt it, because Dan Horsefucker, main desinigger of it had to give you the cinmeartic moment. Fag kid steals ur shit you have a gun you have a lasso, yuo can't use them on him, the game has taught you until this point how to, but I guess now it's time to just forget about it. It's not like the kid is gonna ever run away, no, he'll keep slowing down as he increases the distance and speeding up as he gets faster. Then you get the cuntscene show upa omh tuf strreeet keeeds. I already wanted to keel them. WHY IS TEH GAME FORCING US TO PUT UP WITH THIS. hERE'S UR ANSWERT - T leT dAN THE fAGogOT A FUCKING oppOORRtunity to show you his retarded story. This is peak desinigg according to some

people that should'nt be mentionted or named.l IT really makes me angery. The gaemplay desinigg is all over the place as well. ORMAGERD th3 game is so realistic it makes you clean your guns. Then you fire half of ur droom because a nigger asked you for help and turn around then pull them back from the holster omg it's 6 rounds again because we love realism so much we're gonna make ur guns reload automatically record scr

There AI is also not particularly competent, I can shoot St. Louis police until no end, they will try to flank me but I can always just jump over some short wall, flank them, magdump, retreat, reload guns rinse and repeat. This I think highlights the biggest issue of the game in certain sense, the fact that the hand-crafted combat sections happen very sporadically. Horse chases are, because of controls not keeping up with the pace, very meh no matter what, but a lot of combat sections get interesting after you start going all out. The game may be easy but at least the shooting gallery sections(breakout out of Strawberry and Valentine, storming of the plantation house etc) make you feel like there really may have been some decent game behind all this shit. Too bad it's rare. A real shame it's a clone of Mass Effect Andromeda. Far away from reaching its heights, usually oscillating around its lows instead.

atch which shows the compleyte gulf retardatiojn of the game desiniggers. And dopn't even get me started with the atrocious mechaniggers. For starters why does this gnome have stirrups icnreatinmg horse stamina when 1. the horse never runs out of it unless you have no hands
2 . the go
me offers many waysof restoring it like allowing you to feed the horse the same liver liver king eats to get big 3. it's shtupid

to see some
thing like this

ght and simpe< SImilar case can be made for weapon modifications EVERY SINGLE ONE OF WHICH is desireable and they have no downsides so yes all ur guns will have lengthenend barrels''sd'

OD In this game. ALl peeps act liek bitches instead of Micah so far. I could get along well with Micah IRL I think. The cuntscene-game power disparity is ginormous, withthe combat capability of Arthur he and his gang could just outright invade, loot and burn st. louis to then travel to Mexico on one of the looted steamships and live like kangz there. Really shamefur dispray

0/10 MONEY STOLEN
Greatest peace of literature since Tyce Andrew's Analchest Cookbook

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I have just replayed this after 5 years.

Very wholesome game. I like how the plot is centered around redemption(if you play high honor), and how its morals are very much Christian. Arthur meeting his end after reminiscing about the good deeds he had done of late after a life of crime and violence was very enjoyable.

I don't really understand the skepticism around Arthur and others being foiled by Dutch. Perhaps because I have never played the first game and didn't even know he was set to be an eventual antagonist when I first played this? The man is presented as someone charismatic and intelligent who has given his gang subjects a sense of belonging and purpose - even going as far as being a father figure to most of them. Perhaps he wasn't even false on the "belonging" part(being that most of the Van der Linde gang members actually treat each other as family members and have no qualms about taking risks or making sacrifices to help each other). Exception being the token psychos Bill and Micah.

I've just started playing this, now settled and doing Horseshoe camp. So far, I have to agree with the above. I don't think the story and characters are as bad as some are making out here, although the game is kind of shallow, it's deep within its shallowness. What I mean is, the pea brained soy boys making it are obviously stretching themselves, so it's a bit like when you have a punk band that can only play two chords, but they play them with such commitment and vigour that it's entertaining - here, the emotional and storytelling range, the historical and anthropological underestanding are indeed stunted, but it's kind of done with enough panache and vigour to carry you along.

It's a peculiar game, in that the two parts of it are quite well done, but they don't marry. I have to say that Cyberpunk 2077 (as it is now, not at launch) actually works better to blend open world and cinematic experience than this does; even though the open world here is very tempting, the entire pressure the game puts on you is to go through the story. Much like CP2077 was at launch, one feels the developers might as well not have bothered with the open world at all - and yet, as I said, it seems to be vast and very well done, with fairly simulationist rules. By contrast, with CP2077 (now), both aspects of the game are tempting, but noodling around in the open world, barebones though it is, is intrinsicaly satisfying enough of a combat loop that you can do it as much as you want, and then when you feel like some cinematic experience, you can get into the story bits and scripted sequences as a change of pace.

Here there's no sense of change of pace, no feeling that you're getting into a rhythm of open world/cinematic and vice-versa. It's story faggery, storyfaggery and more storyfaggery, and would sir like a side-helping of storyfaggery with his storyfaggery?

It's ages since I played KCD but I do remember that being a better game overall (at least, as this is so far, and what it portends if it's basically the same style all the way through) that did a better job of balancing its open world and story elements too.

I have just replayed this after 5 years.

Very wholesome game. I like how the plot is centered around redemption(if you play high honor), and how its morals are very much Christian. Arthur meeting his end after reminiscing about the good deeds he had done of late after a life of crime and violence was very enjoyable.

I don't really understand the skepticism around Arthur and others being foiled by Dutch. Perhaps because I have never played the first game and didn't even know he was set to be an eventual antagonist when I first played this? The man is presented as someone charismatic and intelligent who has given his gang subjects a sense of belonging and purpose - even going as far as being a father figure to most of them. Perhaps he wasn't even false on the "belonging" part(being that most of the Van der Linde gang members actually treat each other as family members and have no qualms about taking risks or making sacrifices to help each other). Exception being the token psychos Bill and Micah.

I've just started playing this, now settled and doing Horseshoe camp. So far, I have to agree with the above. I don't think the story and characters are as bad as some are making out here,

Oh yes, they are. Just keep playing it. Dutch's bullshit gets old real fast for anyone with half a brain. Of course it depends on what you are comparing it to, relative to Divinity Original Sin or Saint's Row, sure it's serious writing, but it's extremely dull, like watching an abused housewife go through abuse for 50 years.

It's a peculiar game, in that the two parts of it are quite well done, but they don't marry.

It's not even that it doesn't blend open world with the main story, it's that it's actively doing everything to make sure the blending doesn't happen. Take two steps away from the exact pathway prescribed/intended by the developers, and you get an automatic mission failed screen. I've never seen such shit in an open world game, not even their own GTA games.

It's not even that it doesn't blend open world with the main story, it's that it's actively doing everything to make sure the blending doesn't happen. Take two steps away from the exact pathway prescribed/intended by the developers, and you get an automatic mission failed screen. I've never seen such shit in an open world game, not even their own GTA games

They started doing it in GTA Online with the late edition of the first heist missions in there. It here was a heist mission I remember playing in there, I think it may have been the bank job, and if you don’t hit the checkpoints like it wants you to when you’re working your way by some cops to get to the getaway vehicles it’s just restart the mission. It was fucking annoying. You’re meant to be working your way through this little maze of cops, and if you go too far ahead, even if you kill all the cops, you get punished. It made the mission a pain in the ass. Imagine the annoyance of that shit in RDR2, but you’re working with multiple people who can all accidentally trigger a fail state even if you’re all killing ass.

It was such a stupid design choice it’s hard to believe they doubled down on it with this game. Especially since there were clearly people doing this game that wanted more free form stuff.

It’s also weird given the railroading they did in GTA Online and this game is exactly the kind of stuff Mafia 2 did, and which got Mafia 2 compared unfavorably to something like GTA4. Usually the idea is you take the good things from your competitors, not the bad shit everyone hated.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
It's ages since I played KCD but I do remember that being a better game overall (at least, as this is so far, and what it portends if it's basically the same style all the way through) that did a better job of balancing its open world and story elements too.
It was still rushed towards the ending (the hostage scene, the siege) but overall it was more immersive than Cyberpunk and RDR2

9ted6

Educated
The game seems overhated until you reach Lemoyne, then you start to realize why everyone says the characters are braindead, the story makes no sense, the gameplay is boring and shallow, and it starts punching you in the face with wokeness.

There was a distinct moment about an hour into Lemoyne where I had an epiphany. I finally got what all the criticism was about and it made sense. Even looking back before Lemoyne the narrative hangs by a thread. They make Micah act way too obviously evil that there's no possible explanation for any character being surprised when he betrays them, or not questioning why Dutch keeps a completely unhinged psychopath around while talking about how much of a good guy he is.

Micah might as well have been named Backstabber McBetraysthegroup for how stupidly superficial and un-subtle the writing is.

jackofshadows

Magister
In an early mission he says some minor racial slur (like I won't sleep near blacks or some shit like that). First thought was "huh, looks like this might be a peculiar game" but the second one was "or maybe he's just an 100% evil, treacherous scumbag, one dimentional character to make an example". Then when I started to realize just how fucking diverse the band is and started to see some other lets say flags around, I became sure of it. I would say "imagine my surprise" but I dropped the game earlier and read some spoilers later anyway. Dogshit woke writing, period.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
God, how much I loathe games designed around controllers, it's like wading through fucking mud. Stupid save system - e.g. when you load back in you're on some fucking clifftop miles away from where you saved the bloody thing. Umpteen ESCs before you can get back into the action. Nothing is designed for developing fast, smooth muscle memory with mouse and keyboard, it's all like being a hunt-and-peck typist instead of a touch typist, one never departs from the feeling of playing a game or develops the feeling of the interface being transparent and one being directly in the action. Loathsome menus, loathsome "active area" system (is it "acftive" when the centre of my screen is "pointing" at the thing or what, wtf is going on?)

Also, the art design of menus is loathsome these days, they all have the same kind of fuzzed-out blotches for searchable areas, the same kind of "stressed" overlay with worn edges to letters and things, the same kinds of tiny unreadable icons incongrously sitting on nondescript backgrounds on maps, etc., etc., et bloody cetera - it's a thing, I don't know if I'm describing it well, but every fucking game seems to have the same loathsome UI design in the current year.

On the plus side, all the little animations of things in the game, even just walking or tossing a turkey you've hunted over your shoulder, are beautiful and naturalistic, control of one's avatar has been really well-thought out (e.g. how the felt center of gravity subtly shifts, etc.), it really is a very beautiful game in many respects, it does manage to create a vaguely Hollywood-ish Western atmosphere at times, and the degree of simulation and detail is quite lovely in places. I can imagine a better game with this level of attention to detail, but without the console jank, without the sense of restriction and being canalized.

Last edited:

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Nothing is designed for developing fast, smooth muscle memory with mouse and keyboard,
It is very much a console port in that regard. The experience is very nice, almost "tactile" (the way firearms work especially) with a controller, but it all just seems awkward with a keyboard. (It was the "competitive" thing to do in RDO to use a controller even on PC, such are the advantages.)

As a general rule, third person open world games are generally better with a controller, but it's so much more the case with RDR2 than usual.

Ash

Arcane
Yup!

Rockstar don't know how to make games any more, they're fucking shit now, but I would love to see someone give us a 70's style GTA/Saints Row game. I'm fucking amazed that no-one has to be honest (unless I've missed it?)

Starsky & Hutch, Disco, Funk, Punk, Classic Rock, flares, hippies etc. A game purely based on that flavour would rule. Certainly way more than that nig-nog shit they gave us in San Andreas, and that Ready Salted wank they served up in GTA4

Already exists. It's called Destroy All Humans 2 (skip the first) and it's a pretty cool game. Far better than these non-game modern Rockstar shit. Well, it's set in 1969 (lol it's a classy game), but that is a transitionary period. Mods and Rockers, Hippies, Cold War tensions and espionage, Little Green Men hysteria, it has it all.

Falksi

Arcane
Yup!

Rockstar don't know how to make games any more, they're fucking shit now, but I would love to see someone give us a 70's style GTA/Saints Row game. I'm fucking amazed that no-one has to be honest (unless I've missed it?)

Starsky & Hutch, Disco, Funk, Punk, Classic Rock, flares, hippies etc. A game purely based on that flavour would rule. Certainly way more than that nig-nog shit they gave us in San Andreas, and that Ready Salted wank they served up in GTA4

Already exists. It's called Destroy All Humans 2 (skip the first) and it's a pretty cool game. Far better than these non-game modern Rockstar shit. Well, it's set in 1969 (lol it's a classy game), but that is a transitionary period. Mods and Rockers, Hippies, Cold War tensions and espionage, Little Green Men hysteria, it has it all.
Boom, appreciate the recommendation Ash. Ordered a cheap physical copy for the PS4

BruceVC

Magister

2 . the go

to see some
thing like this

0/10 MONEY STOLEN
You do know that Rockstar games are not suppose to be about RL physics? For example your horse can get shot multiple times and then you can just heal it without taking the bullets out and this applies to your main character

It sounds like you thought games like GTA and RDR are created to be a RL simulators . They not, they fantasy, action and adventure games and the mechanics will never be realistic

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
It sounds like you thought games like GTA and RDR are created to be a RL simulators . They not, they fantasy, action and adventure games and the mechanics will never be realistic
Why are they introducing gun/horse cleaning then? My problem isn't lack of realism, it's lack of consequency in design
There's a difference between aiming for realism and aiming for a sense of immersion. Rockstar go for the latter (at least they do when they're not outsourcing garbage online content to India).

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Why are they introducing gun/horse cleaning then? My problem isn't lack of realism, it's lack of consequency in design
It's about the feels.

NaturallyCarnivorousSheep

Albanian Deliberator Kang
Patron
Possibly Retarded
Ok so stupid chores are for le immerion and feels but actually relevant mechanic of keeping track on how much ammo do you have left in your magazines is pointless and has no bearing on immersion. I get it Dan Horsefucker is genius(no).

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Ok so stupid chores are for le immerion and feels but actually relevant mechanic of keeping track on how much ammo do you have left in your magazines is pointless and has no bearing on immersion. I get it Dan Horsefucker is genius(no).

Keeping your horse on-side is part of the gameplay surely? It feels natural, since it's notionally a living being and needs looking after to perform in tip-top shape. There's also the emotional bond with your pixel horse to consider :)

I think their rationale was that realism that interferes with the flow of intense gameplay (like checking magazine) isn't necessary, but realism that can be incorporated into more relaxed moments (like when you've arrived somewhere with your horse, or are about to depart for somewhere) seems to be okay. IOW, "fiddly realism under pressure is a no-no, some detailed realism in more relaxed circumstances is good."

But I'm not sure if they always follow their own rule, if it is one.

Utgard-Loki

Arcane
more importantly keeping track of what weapons and how much ammo is loaded has to be kept in memory, and they'd rather waste that space with horse anus.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
On the realism/immersion topic, I just had an instance there where the game kind of showed up some problems around it. I came across a feller who's lost his way and needed guiding to the town nearby. I'd gotten off my horse to talk to him (and trying to orient my character so that the response options "activated" - as opposed to being greyed out - was a number in itself; and just as an aside, again, in a PC game, the "activation point" should be where your mouse is pointing, not where the character is oriented, which is probably the way it's designed around controllers, and probably with some artificial "stickiness" around that, to boot). I agreed to help him, so I just went back to get my horse so I could walk along with the chap while leading my horse. But the way the horse turned round, he accidentally bumped into the feller, then the feller panicked and ran off shouting, "No I don't want your help!" :lol:

Now in a sense, this is just an example of the amusing things that can happen in a videogame, but it does point to a fine distinction around realism, and it's immersion-breaking (i.e. I had no intention of scaring him off by bumping my horse into him). It's analogous to that game Exanima, where the combat is realistically simulated physics-wise, but the way the control system interacts with the simulation, until you get used to it, you're lurching around like a drunkard bumping into furniture, or (more appropriately) like a baby learning to walk.

Which is more realistic: to have a system where your control of the avatar is so low level that you have to re-learn how to walk, as a mini-game in itself, like Exanima, or a system in which the game (the NPC AI for example, or AI subroutines related to your avatar's movement and animation) takes care of low level tasks so that (for example) you can walk in a straight line while your avatar's body "knows" to step over obstacles, or side-step to adroitly avoid them? The latter is actually more realistic in the sense that if you're comparing the control to the control you have in real life, your brain does in fact have a lot of sub-systems that take care of "routine" things, so that your control of your own physical avatar is actualy quite high-level ("go there, do this"). In real life, you don't often consciously think things like, "Oh a rock is coming up, I must be careful to step over it" or, "Oh, this horse is turning round, I'd better avoid its bulk while it turns otherwise I could get hurt." Usually, that's taken care of by your own subroutines.

Early games didn't encounter this problem because they were so crude and so highly abstracted that they were necessarily in the latter camp (click a button and you notionally perform a whole song and dance routine while you're stabbing the bad guy, like Errol Flynn). But I think the sweet spot for most people is somewhere inbetween - not as low level as Exanima, but not as high level as one click being an abstraction for a whole sequence of events.

So in that scenario, in this game, my sense of realism makes me expect that either my horse is going to avoid the feller, or the feller is going to be sensible and move out of the way as the horse is turning around, but the realism that's implemented is more Exanima-level (at least in that small scenario), where both my horse and the NPC don't have enough AI brains to do the sensible thing in that context.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom