Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Red Alert! Red Alert!

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't know.. this looks rather boring.

Just looks like "your usual RTS game"... And I doubt that they will change anything about the control mechanics, etc.

Red Russian

Scholar
Exactly. How the fuck can anyone find shit like this entertaining. Mass producing huge quantities of the same unit to rush your opponent. It's so boring.

But the masses has purchased, I guess.

sqeecoo

Arcane
DraQ said:
sqeecoo said:
EDIT: I want a 2D strategy! 3D looks like shit in strategy games, and is not needed! 2D graphics are much better-looking, and stand the test of time well. Prime examples: Starcraft and Space Rangers 2.
Refuted by argument from Homeworld. :P
Though, I can agree that ground-based strategy can do just as well without 3D.

Agreed! So the lesson is: if you use 3D, use it for a purpose - like having the strategy actually be in 3D, like Homeworld. Otherwise 2D is cheaper, better looking, and does not look ugly as hell in 5 years.

Annonchinil

Scholar
The houses in RA2 were also rather clean looking and despite codex pandering I think that 3d RTS games like WiC and CoH look great, the difference is even more noticable in action. However I do agree that some 2d textures with their detail look better, especially ones like mud with tank tracks.

On another note does anyone else think that some of the Soviet Union units look a little to high tech, but just green? I mean the old Telsa trooper had this rusted ugly metal look to him with bolts and all, the new one is just a green robot. Did anyone also notice the barracks like structure? What happened to the cool statue one from RA2? The structures all had that brown concrete look to them mixed in with Russian architecture and high tech stuff. And what happened to Telsa reactors?

2_lg.jpg

Edit: Apperantly it is also going to be out on the Xbox360 and PS3, not sure what to make of that.

Ivy Mike

Scholar
Lestat said:
Russian gaming magazine Игромания, from the site of which I borrowed the screenshots, claims that Red Alert 3 will feature the Japanese as a full-fledged faction. Expect to see transformer robots with laser katanas, and similiar stuff.
They fucking better not. Red Alert is about the might and greatness of the Soviet Empire and crushing imperialist dogs. How does Japan even fit into that picture?

Fex said:
I hope this has the traditional ridiculous and ham acting to go with the Russian stereotypes that helped make it so enjoyable in the past.
They fucking better.

I was never into C&C, but RA still gives me sweet memories. Here's to hoping they don't fuck it up.

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
Red Alert is about the might and greatness of the Soviet Empire and crushing imperialist dogs. How does Japan even fit into that picture?
I believe some Soviets travelled back in time to capture Einstein before he creates the Chronosphere, somehow fucked up in the process, and after coming back to the present found out that Japan established itself as a superpower. Your typical Red Alert story.

Suicidal

Arcane
Maybe RA4's story will be about a bunch of people going back in time to stop the Soviet people who went back in time to capture Einstein before he creates the Chronosphere...

MetalCraze

Arcane
man those screenshots do look ugly. probably even uglier than C&C3.
but graphics is not the main concern. the gameplay is. and something tells me it will be shitty as in C&C3.
I still don't get it what's the sense of building a radar if your map is always open - except the radar is required to build tech-center - but still it's nothing but a waste of money.
or what the sense of garrisoning the buildings if just one single grenade will -kill all units- inside without touching the building?
and that's not speaking about the ability to build as many superunits as you want which can handle everything in the air and on the ground and having shitloads of armor - like those goddamn mammoths.
in comparison - C&C2 lets you to build only one mammoth which have slightly less armor, can't kill air units, has only 1 rail gun, which is powerful - but with a very slow rate of fire - making it rather a support unit than the main attack force.
in other words - in C&C2 it was all about strategy and tactics because there were no really great units for attack. without support units your army was doomed.
in it's direct "sequel" - C&C3 - it's all about building as many most expensive units as you can and then making a rush with them.

Langolier

Novice
Lyric Suite said:
Correct me if i'm wrong but wasn't Red Alert supposed to be farther back then C&C 3 in terms of timeline? I always assumed Westwood made the game to stir away from the "sci-fi"
theme of the C&C universe.

Also, just because we all know graphics matter, i think it looks like shit.

Yes, Red Alert is a prequel to Command & Conquer. At the time Red Alert 2 was made it was just intended to be a sort of funny "what if" scenario. In other words, it takes place in its own time line and is now in no way related to Tiberium-centered games.

Everyone saying this game fits the Red Alert theme is wrong, it fits the Red Alert 2 theme. The first game had a serious tone and took itself seriously. The sequel, while be loads of fun was more of a slight comedy and got more and more ridiculous as you advanced up the tech try. Personally, I hate what Red Alert has become.

The graphics do indeed look like crap.

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
I started with Red Alert 2 and was disappointed with how seriously RA1 took itself. I mean, Einstein going back in time to kill Hitler isn't very serious in the first place.

Langolier

Novice
Jaime Lannister said:
I started with Red Alert 2 and was disappointed with how seriously RA1 took itself. I mean, Einstein going back in time to kill Hitler isn't very serious in the first place.

It's all about the presentation I think. I mean, an Evil Empire hell bent on conquering a galaxy and a sheltered farmboy discovering he alone has the power to stop it is hardly a "serious" story, but it presents itself well.

I suppose though that if RA2 was your introduction to Red Alert that I can understand why you'd be disappointed. However, I for one loved the atmosphere of the first game, more-so than I did the sequel (which was still a great game).

Kingston

Arcane
I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
Oh my, that looked bad. *Really* bad. I've seen bad art conversion to 3d but this, this really tops the cake. The water looks great, and that's it. Everything else is from Woolworths. Seems to me that the maps will be ridiculously small too a la Cnc3. What a fuck up.

MetalCraze

Arcane
it also will be dumbed down as C&C3 was.
didn't watch the trailer though as I already saw screenshots earlier and the game looked extremely shitty on them. I always hated the toy-looking units of C&C3, now they've made them even worse plus buildings look like they were made out of paper. and the gameplay will most likely be dumb with "build moar superunits"
EA is really rolling with sequels to a single franchise this year - C&C3 Kane's Wrath, C&C Tiberium (another C&C shitty action) and C&C Red Alert 3.
and at the same time EA gives interviews where they say "oh we've changed, sequels no more, only quality games"

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
The only thing that I don't quite get, is the fact that everyone are like "omg teh grafix suk, they look so shiny and cartoony and shit"
Now ask yourself: How did RA2 look if not cartoony and shit.

As for gameplay: I won't mind at all if it will be the same as RA2 just with a different engine and some different units (even though the Japan business kind of bugs me). The trailer made me happy too, since the game will apparently feature old sound effects and music which is neat

And they better find a place for Yuri (AKA one of the best evil dudes EVER) or someone similarly awesome or hate-mail will be sent in massive amounts.

Red Russian said:
Exactly. How the fuck can anyone find shit like this entertaining. Mass producing huge quantities of the same unit to rush your opponent. It's so boring.

Using mind controlled commie octopi that can crush ships with their tentacles and be countered only by uberdolphins attacking with sonic waves can NEVER be boring, gtfo

Fez

Erudite
It's not that they look cartoony, it's that the art direction is bad. You can get good and bad cartoon art. This does not look good and it does not match with the previous games, so it fails both ways.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
By looking at the screens and the trailer I find them to be pretty much in the same vein as in the prequel, only 3D instead of 2D, unless I'm already suffering from dementia that distorts the way I view things, but that is highly unlikely.

Kingston

Arcane
I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
Darth Roxor said:
By looking at the screens and the trailer I find them to be pretty much in the same vein as in the prequel, only 3D instead of 2D, unless I'm already suffering from dementia that distorts the way I view things, but that is highly unlikely.

You have got to be colourblind and possibly have some dimensional distortions in your vision to think they look alike. Red Alert was a comic book, this is fucking playdo. It looks like an army of toys.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Almost the whole Soviet side of RA2 looked like a bunch of toys with their pseudo-futuristic looks, the allies looked "seriously", it's the same in the promo material of RA3 - notice that they mostly show the Soviet troops (where they also look like a bunch of toys as you call it), while the presented Allied units are only the GIs and some tanks, vessels and aircraft that don't look over the top at all.

Murk

Arcane
they used the same sound effects i guess, and while the graphics are hawt n shit, i really don't think they'll be as well placed.

part of the fun in ra2 was the speed and crazy mayhem that ensued - the buildings take too long to build ;(

that and i'm sure it wont' run on my machine

MetalCraze

Arcane
there is an article on AG.ru where they took an interview with RA3 lead designer when EA came to the russian game convention - he said that he is a casual gamer and said that if you want hardcore gaming - go play RA3 multiplayer - because singleplayer will be dumbed down which mostly means stupid, retarded AI like in C&C3 and a traditional ability to spam super-units *cough*like mammoth tank*cough*.
also there will be no Frank Klepacki/Industrial Rock soundtrack. he said that the soundtrack will be epic again. just like that bland piece of shit of C&C3.

the graphics of RA3 look shitty actually. buildings from paper, units looking like plastic toys. again.

another crappy idea is... russian armoured bears. what the fuck? his explanation? "well RA2 had mind-controlled squids". well one thing if its mind-controlled squid which actually was a badass westwood idea tbh - but armoured bears? are you fucking kidding me? yes I understand that Red Alert series were never serious - but there must be at least some limits to "creativity" before it becomes stupid.

do you think that is all? the third side - Japan. do I need to explain how retarded is the idea to include a small island country into the USA-USSR pack as a complete third side?

MaskedMartyr

Liturgist
He's got a point man, Japan?

Shit, there's tons of other more notable nationalist countries you could have chosen instead. Personally I would have gone for an south-American revival, or an African side just for the fun of it. It would have been slightly original even though stereotypical, because nobody else has made an RTS side like that, just imagine what kind of racial stereotype units you can throw in there. Super-weapon could be a sound-wave of Jimi Hendrix solos, anything to represent the black power movement.

Fight the Man, fight EA. Corporate pigs are gonna all get executed some day.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom