Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Red Alert! Red Alert!

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
Undercover KGB agents managed to steal first Red Alert 3 screenshots from EALA HQ!

92070369ts6.jpg

78505839eq7.jpg

24430614nq6.jpg

91450773hz9.jpg

40194726uy5.jpg

59578968jn9.jpg

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
I don't know why but I have a feeling that something is not right with the graphic - but it's probably just me..

cardtrick

Arbiter
I don't know, I actually think it looks pretty good. I definitely get a "Red Alert" vibe from the shots. I didn't even know RA3 was in development, but I'm glad -- it's a fun series.

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
Those big, mean tanks at the fourth screenshot seem to use more traditional ammunition. I'm fairly sure that AK-wielding conscripts will also make it in the game. Tesla is flashy and good for marketing, I guess that's why we see a lot of it at first screenies.

sqeecoo

Arcane
It looks great! The graphics are only somewhat less good and realistic than those in Command&Conquer 1!

Although I agree it should look more cartoonish. And the colors, where are the colors!? We need more!

Unless they actually *add* something to the gameplay, style, or story, what's the point of all these sequels? The first Red Alert is better then all of them.

At least Blizzard, for instance, is trying to be creative and bring some changes and content into their sequels: WC3 had a whole new style of gameplay (that I didn't like, but it wasn't objectively horrible), and they seem to be doing something similar with SC2.

EDIT: I want a 2D strategy! 3D looks like shit in strategy games, and is not needed! 2D graphics are much better-looking, and stand the test of time well. Prime examples: Starcraft and Space Rangers 2.

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
Unless they actually *add* something to the gameplay, style, or story, what's the point of all these sequels? The first Red Alert is better then all of them.
Russian gaming magazine Игромания, from the site of which I borrowed the screenshots, claims that Red Alert 3 will feature the Japanese as a full-fledged faction. Expect to see transformer robots with laser katanas, and similiar stuff.

sqeecoo

Arcane
Ok, I take that back. If we can have mammoth kamikaze tesla planes with katanas, I'm sold.

EDIT: Do you guys notice how modern (3D?) graphics are totally incapable of simulating dirt (that does not look clean). I mean look at those houses! I never saw such clean houses in my life! The pathetic sprites in C&C1 looked more realistic and atmospheric.

Well actually I wouldn't say *totally* impossible. Red Orchestra manages to depict demolished, dirty cities and soldiers quite well, especially the custom maps.

DraQ

Arcane
Of all modern GFX gimmicks they had to include bloom...

facepalm.jpg

sqeecoo said:
EDIT: I want a 2D strategy! 3D looks like shit in strategy games, and is not needed! 2D graphics are much better-looking, and stand the test of time well. Prime examples: Starcraft and Space Rangers 2.
Refuted by argument from Homeworld. :P
Though, I can agree that ground-based strategy can do just as well without 3D.

Sovy Kurosei

Erudite
Hey, look DUKWs.

I'm guessing that there are now resources you can harvest in the water because there is a floating refinery in that last shot.

Suicidal

Arcane
Looks kind of like Starcraft 2.

That's pretty good news, I thought I'd never see an another installment of RA. I remember reading some rumors in a Russian gaming magazine a few years ago, that C&C 3 was supposed to be a game which starts out as RA (Soviets vs. Allies) and then turns into GDI vs. NOD when the tiberium meteor hits the earth, or something. When they made C&C 3 the way it is and the rumors turned out to be bullshit I was pretty dissapointed. Good to see they haven't forgotten about RA after all.

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
This actually looks like RA 1 and 2, despite the fact that C&C 3 looked nothing like the originals

:salute: EA.

Fez

Erudite
I hope this has the traditional ridiculous and ham acting to go with the Russian stereotypes that helped make it so enjoyable in the past.

Riso

Arcane
This looks more like the primitive initial version of the Generals engine than the improved CnC3 one.

YourConscience

Scholar
Yet another so-called 'strategy game' that probably won't let you zoom out far enough. Prime example: Age of Empires 3. Yes, you can see the little toe on that soldier's feet. No, you don't get a general picture of the situation without scrolling, scrolling and more scrolling.

These screenshots indicate that this game is heading for the same thing.

And yeah, they really do look colorful not not dirty at all. But I guess this is intended.

Uz0rnaem

Scholar
Not sure if I should even care. They're probably not going to use awesomely cheesy FMV cutscenes again.

cardtrick

Arbiter
YourConscience said:
And yeah, they really do look colorful not not dirty at all. But I guess this is intended.

Yeah. The Red Alerts have always been brighter, more unreal and more cartoony than the Command and Conquers.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Correct me if i'm wrong but wasn't Red Alert supposed to be farther back then C&C 3 in terms of timeline? I always assumed Westwood made the game to stir away from the "sci-fi"
theme of the C&C universe.

Also, just because we all know graphics matter, i think it looks like shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom