Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Recomend me a video card

Melcar

Arcane
Darth Slaughter said:
Disconsidering price, and comparing the cards on the same level of performance, what are the advantages/disavantages of ATI or NVIDIA cards?

I'm more into nvidia since I'm used to it's drivers and making games run on it, especially some oldies. Is there any noticeable difference besides biased wars?

Current generation, as in HD5K vs. GTX4xx? ATI beats the shit out of nvidia. Nvidia's cards do much better in tessellation situations, but in actual games they perform the same (sometimes worse) than the competing ATI cards. Not to mention that they run much hotter and consume more power. The green cards also have that physx bullshit which is used in some games.

Just get whatever is at your price range and performs adequately for your needs.

BirdsCanFly

Educated
2qxwz9u.jpg

MetalCraze said:
GTX470 on russian keyboard writes as печ470 which translates to english as oven470

:D I can confirm this amusing fact, my keyboard has russian symbols as well, I wouldn't have noticed it if not for skyway though.

MetalCraze

Arcane
470 is a fine choice.

460 is pretty weak. 465 is much better, at stock speeds has about the same performance as 285 (and just as warm which is OK) but has a really great OC potential unlike 285.

21.jpg

I'd definitely pick 465 if I didn't have 260 which is enough to run almost anything maxed out so far (+ nice overclock to the same levels as gtx280)

Divinity: Original Sin
Twinkle said:
Darth Slaughter said:

Should have waited for 460. Much better price/performance ratio with significantly lesser noise, heat and power consumption.

Well, my power supply was noisy. Now i've put a new one and my computer is so silent that sometime it doesn't feel like it's turned on.

And well, I couldn't have waited since I bought it on a planned trip.

As for the heat... well, it didn't burn my house yet...

Lesifoere

Liturgist
MetalCraze said:
GTX470 on russian keyboard writes as печ470 which translates to english as oven470

:thumbsup:

I still don't have an excuse to upgrade from an ATI 4670. How sad is this?

MetalCraze

Arcane
k.

Lesifoere said:

It isn't. I myself upgraded my PC only because of a single game - everything else ran fine - so this is more sad.

Raapys

Arcane
I'm running a 5870 at the moment, but I have to admit it's hard to beat the GTX460. It's an awesome card; relatively cheap, overclocks extremely well and performs great. For its price range nothing beats it. Two of them in SLI will actually beat the fastest single-GPU card, the GTX480, while costing less( though SLI/CF setups do come with some potential problems).

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
MetalCraze said:
470 is a fine choice.

460 is pretty weak. 465 is much better, at stock speeds has about the same performance as 285 (and just as warm which is OK) but has a really great OC potential unlike 285.

21.jpg

I'd definitely pick 465 if I didn't have 260 which is enough to run almost anything maxed out so far (+ nice overclock to the same levels as gtx280)

You don't ever want to listen to this moron when it comes to graphics cards, see my sig.

465 is a disaster of a card. 460 is faster is a number of games, more efficient with heat, noise, power and it's also cheaper.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Hmm... Now I think I'm going to buy 46x when it arrives here. Just checked the prices and GTX465 from noone else but Zotac themselves costs some $260 which is pretty cheap. Considering that 460 will be cheaper - I think I'll grab my chance to play OA with anti-aliasing after all after I'll see more tests.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
MetalCraze said:
k.

Lesifoere said:

It isn't. I myself upgraded my PC only because of a single game - everything else ran fine - so this is more sad.

I'll be upgrading for a single game when TW2 comes out.

Multi-headed Cow

I'm still chugging along on my 8800GS. I occasionally can't run games maxed out at 1920X1080 any more, but it's working well enough that I might try holding out until 1 gig GTX 460s are closer to $100.

KalosKagathos

Learned
Lesifoere said:
The latest upgrade I made was for PS2 emulation. I don't foresee making another one until the next generation of consoles rolls out. How sad is that?

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Multi-headed Cow said:
I'm still chugging along on my 8800GS. I occasionally can't run games maxed out at 1920X1080 any more, but it's working well enough that I might try holding out until 1 gig GTX 460s are closer to $100.

Hah, good thing I'm sticking to 1680x1050 and don't foresee myself buying a bigger monitor (22 inch seems plenty). One less reason to upgrade.

Three more years until next gen of consoles?

Twinkle

Liturgist
Hah, good thing I'm sticking to 1680x1050 and don't foresee myself buying a bigger monitor (22 inch seems plenty). One less reason to upgrade.

Yeah, I always laughs at idiots who still consider that resolution and size alone can make a good monitor. FFS, changing TN panel to TN panel is useless.

I still haven't bothered upgrading from a 7600GT...I sort of need to if I wish to play one of the newer STALKER games, but apart from that...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom