Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Reasons Why Younger Gamers Don't Get Older RPGs?.

I think Cat Headed Eagle is on to something. There's a huge difference between then and now when it comes to PC vs Consoles.

When I was young almost everyone had a desktop computer in their home whereas now people hardly even have laptops. So back in the day most kids I knew played computer games. However I don't think that's the case any more and buying a PC for gaming is a huge investment and you also need a lot of space in your home. There's probably an even bigger threshold to get into PC gaming now compared to how it was.

The purpose of the PC back then was for the parents to pay bills or whatever but the kids would also use it to play games, browse the web, paint stuff or whatever. Now most parents do that stuff on their phone or maybe on their work computer. So the kids wont have the same access to the PC as gaming platform.
Consoles were always "lesser" than pcs in term of hardware, but I distinctly remember these pc gaming magazines I mentioned saying stuff like their library of games was better, that they arguably had better dev teams and all. In the 90s people saw PC as the platform for flight simulators and that was that, but consoles were being actively marketed to the kids of the house (they aren't anymore). And while PC could have Jazz Jackrabbit and Commander Keen, the SNES had Mario, and the Mega Drive had Sonic. I don't think a kid would've been interested in the Gold Box games and all the stuff you had to do to play the game, but Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy were already seen as prime examples of rpgs back then. This difference between jrpgs and crpgs only became apparent to me when I learned about communities like this, but I have to admit the divide has become more apparent in media in recent years (probably to avoid being associated with fanservice, which anglos despise). Blizzard changed a lot of things for the landscape of PC gaming, but as console centric games like Metal Gear Solid and FF7 started getting PC ports, there was still this feel about the best/most hyped games being in different platforms first.

Feyd Rautha

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
This is later but kids used their parents home PC to play Doom, Quake, Warcraft, Age of Empires, Red Alert, Starcraft, Diablo, Heroes of Might and Magic, Counter-Strike and more. That wouldn't happen today. Of course those are all games that are very easy to get into. Not many kids would play RPGs as I remember. Some of the nerds played Fallout, Arcanum, Baldur's Gate and stuff like that but they were a minority and most class mates would never even have heard the titles of those games.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Reasons Why Younger Gamers Don't Get Older RPGs?.​

The answers is actually really simple and I can prove it to you asking a different question which will have the very same answer.

What's the reason most Codexers didn't play Prelude to Darkness?

Sykar

Arcane
I think Cat Headed Eagle is on to something. There's a huge difference between then and now when it comes to PC vs Consoles.

When I was young almost everyone had a desktop computer in their home whereas now people hardly even have laptops. So back in the day most kids I knew played computer games. However I don't think that's the case any more and buying a PC for gaming is a huge investment and you also need a lot of space in your home. There's probably an even bigger threshold to get into PC gaming now compared to how it was.

The purpose of the PC back then was for the parents to pay bills or whatever but the kids would also use it to play games, browse the web, paint stuff or whatever. Now most parents do that stuff on their phone or maybe on their work computer. So the kids wont have the same access to the PC as gaming platform.
Consoles were always "lesser" than pcs in term of hardware, but I distinctly remember these pc gaming magazines I mentioned saying stuff like their library of games was better, that they arguably had better dev teams and all. In the 90s people saw PC as the platform for flight simulators and that was that, but consoles were being actively marketed to the kids of the house (they aren't anymore). And while PC could have Jazz Jackrabbit and Commander Keen, the SNES had Mario, and the Mega Drive had Sonic. I don't think a kid would've been interested in the Gold Box games and all the stuff you had to do to play the game, but Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy were already seen as prime examples of rpgs back then. This difference between jrpgs and crpgs only became apparent to me when I learned about communities like this, but I have to admit the divide has become more apparent in media in recent years (probably to avoid being associated with fanservice, which anglos despise). Blizzard changed a lot of things for the landscape of PC gaming, but as console centric games like Metal Gear Solid and FF7 started getting PC ports, there was still this feel about the best/most hyped games being in different platforms first.

That is not true at all. Or maybe it is in certain circles but far from a universal truth. For me and my best friend who started on a SNES we got into cRPGs because of GoldBox games, specifically for the "Das schwarze Auge: Nordlantriologie" or as it is called in the US "Realms of Arkania". We played the crap out of those games. I got my first PC at the age of 13 after about 5 years having a SNES and a Gameboy. After I got my PC and only a few games like X-Com 1 and 2, Der Clou, Dark Forces 2 and a few others I gave my console to my 3 younger sisters and never looked back. Another friend introduced me to Sensible Soccer which was far superior to any football, or soccer as it is called in the US, game I had played on consoles.
I possessed briefly a Gamecube solely for Metroid Prime series because back then there was no emulator available and in fact I was not even really aware of them. Once I was aware I refuse to even give a single console a second thought, the whole buisness model is nothing but exploitatative greed by these shitbag corporations and console games had a very strong negative impact overall on PC games and were in no small part responsible for the steady decline we have seen the past 15-20 years or so.

Mortmal

Arcane

The answers is actually really simple and I can prove it to you asking a different question which will have the very same answer.

Unknown , was available as shareware , not widely available, not on steam . Also looks like shit that doesnt help. Then even when you are motivated , when you install on a modern machine, just tried, the mouse controls are terrible. Reading codex thread its full of ctds and other problems.
This answer do not apply exactly to other older rpgs. Also that depends on the younger gamer.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I played it halfway through but then gave up due to the constant freezes that forced me to restart my PC because even on Windows 7 I couldn't manage to get to the task manager window to kill the process, the hung-up game would completely hog my cursor.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I played it halfway through but then gave up due to the constant freezes that forced me to restart my PC because even on Windows 7 I couldn't manage to get to the task manager window to kill the process, the hung-up game would completely hog my cursor.
even the released 2.0 (well, now 2.11) version?

Serus

Arcane
Patron
The biggest reasons I've experienced are that they find them "too dated", too difficult, or have "too much reading".
I think most of it has to do with parents that just stick their kids in front of an iPad instead of sending them outside. They're used to constant stimulation and entertainment, so when you give them slower games and activities they get confused.
Bottom line is, Kaczynski was right.
Kaczynski? Which one? Lech, Jarosław or Ted?

Because it was for a lot of people unplayable due to very serious bugs? I started it once but i got bugs early and considering the fame the game had it wasn't going to get better. I might retry it one day (in big part thanks to You!) but nowadays i have many games to play that it might never come to that.

Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Your main conclusion makes an assumption that "young people" (zoomers? or do milennials count too?) are even aware about the games you're mentioning. Before getting into how retarded generations are, you need to look at the barriers to entry.

I know many people who get away with an iPad, chromebook, or just any laptop (university aged). They either don't game, or they use console/mobile game. Yes, PC builds became more popular since COVID but those people obviously don't even know what a cRPG is. It's all a social thing to them, they dont care about 20+ year old isometric crpgs or some blobber 10+ years older than them. They're gonna play Valorant, Phasmophobia, etc. (whatever casual game can be played together with their friends). cRPGS weren't ever some mainstream thing, it was always niche even in their peak.

So, you take the people who even have a PC (or laptop) in which they're interested playing games on. Vast majority can be considered casuals. I'm seen as the "hardcore gamer" with many people i know just because of Counterstrike. I've also had someone tell me when we got on the discussion of games that he's playing through Witcher 3 but "it's a really hardcore game, I don't know if you'd like it". So you sift through the casuals to even get to someone who plays modern RPGs in the first place.

Now take this modern RPG player. They have so much content that they don't need any other game once they find one they like. Go on reddit to talk about romances, look at/make fan art, "discuss" the game which is basically just gushing about the most recent playthrough, etc. Go on YouTube and watch "reviews" that praise the game, watch/comment/engage in Let's Play's, etc. I can keep going but you get the point.

So you need a modern RPG player who notices something "missing" in modern RPGs (Or someone who loved modern RPGs so much they want to experience older ones, but I doubt they'd stick around). We're already at such a small sub section of people, but there's still more to go down. So person isn't satisfied with modern RPGs? What are their choices? It's much easier to say fuck this genre and go back to playing multiplayer games with friends. But, if the person really feels an affinity to the genre then they need to start researching. But where do they start? They're new, they won't know the forums. So they go on reddit, and see what? Red Dead Redemption, Mass Effect (maybe?), JRPG stuff? (I'm not too familiar with what's popular there).

Young person plays Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Witcher, etc. But happens to enjoy the first one more? Can't discuss on reddit, so you go searching for more nuanced takes, which brings you to forums and opens up a whole new world. Then it just depends on how far back you're talking with your games? Blobbers will take someone who really gets into this shit to even try.

That makes my point though, there's so much that needs to happen for a person to even become aware of these games (speaking as someone who's not disconnected from normie reality). I was only aware of them since childhood because of a family member, and even then I was still on the Counterstrike grind so at most I played like 5 games.

Single player games are dead, people have PCs for social interaction, discord groups, multiplayer games, etc. Most people who make it past that point become "quirky gamers" who are just weirdos who suck off shit like Undertale, FF, etc. and think they're "not like the others".

**On top of all the other things said such as QOL, etc.

FFTW

Educated
There is one important aspect you guys are ignoring when talking about this.

Most "gamers", young, young-ish and "young adultish", played on consoles, not PC. As a whole, "gaming" is a console thing. This is a PC centric forum and as such you guys think PC first, console second, and equating "RPG" with the usual suspects, Fallout, Baldur's Gate, etc.
This is not the case for what you'd call "mainstream" gamers. Someone mentioned Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy. Those were "the" RPGs to play, and like that, RPG, period. When most people say "the mid 00s were prety bad for RPGs", they aren't talking about the games released between Bloodlines and Divinity Original Sin, they mean the dip in quality that console oriented RPGs (jrpgs for everyone else) took. The Infinity Engine is treated as a museum artifact that aged terribly and are impossible to play today but Final Fantasy 6 is celebrated as one of the best games of all time, without having its gameplay or technical aspects questioned. It doesn't have to do with the quality of games per se, but the divide between what people expect from gaming and what you guys expect too. I remember that even among PC gaming magazines there was this air of defeatism that carried all throughout the 90s about how consoles were the main gaming platform for people and that they were capable of much better spectacles than PCs, and by the time PCs were able to "catch up", so to speak, we were in the Microsoft VS Sony landscape where games were all multiplatform.
I am definitely a console gamer not a PC gamer (except for games with light gameplay like VNs and games that are PC exclusive and I really really wanted to play, like Tyranny). I would also hazard a guess that I am also much younger than most people here (late 20s). Yet Neither I nor any other console gamer I know think the way you describe (oh, and WRPGs are my favorite genre ever). You are completely ignoring that almost any WRPG worth its salt is avaliable on consoles too and that has been the case since the 6th generation (which is why I laugh when someone still calls them "CRPGs", a term that stopped making sense last millineum). I didn't get introduced to WRPGs through Infinity Engine games (I did go back to experience some of them later on though). I got introduced to them through Dragon Age, KOTOR, Skyrim, Jade Empire, etc. As well as hybrids like Mass Effect, Fallout: New Vegas, Alpha protocol, etc. All of which were easily available and accessible on my Xboxs. In the 6th gen developers discovered that CRPGs can thrive on consoles and sell way more, and the 7th gen cemented that.

However, I fully 100% agree that the way people act here is like the "PC Master race" joke amplified 10 times. It is pretty funny at times, like when I asked about modding NWN to include modules on PS4 like has already been done on Switch, and one "genius" replied to sell my PS4 and get a PC instead. and we are talking about a 20 year old game that can be run on a potato yet he presumed the reason I am not playing it there is because I don't have a PC capable of running it. It was a reply so moronic it was hilarious.

Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.

Most "gamers", young, young-ish and "young adultish", played on consoles, not PC. As a whole, "gaming" is a console thing. This is a PC centric forum and as such you guys think PC first, console second, and equating "RPG" with the usual suspects, Fallout, Baldur's Gate, etc.
This is not the case for what you'd call "mainstream" gamers. Someone mentioned Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy. Those were "the" RPGs to play, and like that, RPG, period. When most people say "the mid 00s were prety bad for RPGs", they aren't talking about the games released between Bloodlines and Divinity Original Sin, they mean the dip in quality that console oriented RPGs (jrpgs for everyone else) took. The Infinity Engine is treated as a museum artifact that aged terribly and are impossible to play today but Final Fantasy 6 is celebrated as one of the best games of all time, without having its gameplay or technical aspects questioned. It doesn't have to do with the quality of games per se, but the divide between what people expect from gaming and what you guys expect too. I remember that even among PC gaming magazines there was this air of defeatism that carried all throughout the 90s about how consoles were the main gaming platform for people and that they were capable of much better spectacles than PCs, and by the time PCs were able to "catch up", so to speak, we were in the Microsoft VS Sony landscape where games were all multiplatform.
I am definitely a console gamer not a PC gamer (except for games with light gameplay like VNs and games that are PC exclusive and I really really wanted to play, like Tyranny). I would also hazard a guess that I am also much younger than most people here (late 20s). Yet Neither I nor any other console gamer I know think the way you describe (oh, and WRPGs are my favorite genre ever). You are completely ignoring that almost any WRPG worth its salt is avaliable on consoles too and that has been the case since the 6th generation (which is why I laugh when someone still calls them "CRPGs", a term that stopped making sense last millineum). I didn't get introduced to WRPGs through Infinity Engine games (I did go back to experience some of them later on though). I got introduced to them through Dragon Age, KOTOR, Skyrim, Jade Empire, etc. As well as hybrids like Mass Effect, Fallout: New Vegas, Alpha protocol, etc. All of which were easily available and accessible on my Xboxs. In the 6th gen developers discovered that CRPGs can thrive on consoles and sell way more, and the 7th gen cemented that.

However, I fully 100% agree that the way people act here is like the "PC Master race" joke amplified 10 times. It is pretty funny at times, like when I asked about modding NWN to include modules on PS4 like has already been done on Switch, and one "genius" replied to sell my PS4 and get a PC instead. and we are talking about a 20 year old game that can be run on a potato yet he presumed the reason I am not playing it there is because I don't have a PC capable of running it. It was a reply so moronic it was hilarious.
Console gamers are casuals, kids or man children, don't get annoyed when your console can't mod anything.

That's not even mentioning how terrible controllers are for crpgs and shooters. Either the game is worse on PC because design choices were made to help ease the pains of using a controller, or the game is worse on console because controllers are inferior to kbm.

Louis_Cypher

Arcane
In fairness to younger gamers, I find many old RPGs hard to get into now too. It's not graphics. It's not GUI. It's just I've seen it all before, as far as fantasy goes. Tolkien was the peak of fantasy; no game has ever captured the genre to the degree he made it, or to the degree Peter Jackson's film adaptations manifested it as cinema, and *generic fantasy setting #4055* can be laboriously dull by comparison. They rely on the afterglow of Tolkien, adding no life of their own. It's a lot to expect people to invest 40-80 hours into, when you realise there is nothing profound behind the wood housing that evokes the master's superior work. Many RPGs were not worth it back then, in the 1990s, either. It's just we didn't know better, and stuck with things thinking they would improve, as kids, with spare time, lacking experience in how commercial entertainment often wastes your time. Like 'prestige' television that drags 6 episodes worth of material across 6 seasons, RPGs overstay their welcome easily if they don't make their case quickly, and keep making it therein. We are wise to the JJ Abrams 'mystery box' method of nihilistically exploiting the audience, and turn it off quickly if it seems like that shit in game form. Ignoring Codex-beloved classics, we are talking about the other 98% of the genre here.

WYNRBop.png

It's these generic 'Neverwinter Nights' tier games that modern RPGs are emulating too. Rather than trying to be exceptional experiences like 'Vampire: The Masquerade - Redemption' or 'Planescape: Torment', that actually add some energy into the system. Things like 'Solasta: Crown of the Magister' or 'Pillars of Eternity' are, for all their pretty production values, unexceptional.

Resident Evil 1, Dino Crisis 1, Tomb Raider 1, Star Wars: Dark Forces 1, Star Trek: Judgement Rites, Metroid Prime 1, Super Metroid, AvP 1, Doom 1, Thief 1, etc, don't suffer from this. Those games say what they mean, concisely, then leave while you still want more. They feel visceral and immediate. It's an RPG specific thing. Incidentally, you can believe you are killing hundreds in Doom; it's you aiming, after all; with some luck, one guy could massacre a horde one-by-one, with a gun. In an RPG, the logistics of what you are doing sometimes become absurd.

baba is you

Novice
It's a matter of taste, I suppose. I remember in the early to mid-2000s asking gamers who had only played IE games to try DOS RPGs like Might and Magic, Wizardry, and Dungeon Master.
I felt bad at the time because the reaction I got was very unpleasant, even though I was trying to be nice about it, but today I think there's no other medium where tastes are more polarized than games, so I'll take it.

FFTW

Educated

Console gamers are casuals, kids or man children, don't get annoyed when your console can't mod anything.

and this is precisely the sort of hilarious "better than thou" (or in those cases "me be beterrrr. you be suckkk" would be more fitting) behavior I was talking about. Thanks for quickly proving my point lol.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Consoles were always "lesser" than pcs in term of hardware, but I distinctly remember these pc gaming magazines I mentioned saying stuff like their library of games was better
Depends on the magazine. CGC, back in the middle of 90-s, tried to review a console game. Got a shitstorm in the postbox and apologized. Readers feared that magazine will start to review more and more console games that were not interesting at all to its readers.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
In my experience, consoles are a huge roadblock for normies trying to experience quality RPGs. I'll encounter someone who seems genuinely interested in delving past the surface, maybe he's played Wasteland 3 and DOS 2, but you can't recommend anything interesting like Might and Magic or Fallout or Wizardry because he only has PS5 and XBox One. It's all well and good that the big tentpole CRPGs get released on consoles nowadays, but that ignores things like Underrail and Grimoire that are still PC-exclusive, and it ignores the vast back catalogue of incredible games going back to the 80s. Games like Pool of Radiance and Wizardry 7 actually were released on consoles, but unless you still have your NES or PSX, you'd still need a PC to emulate them today.

and this is precisely the sort of hilarious "better than thou" (or in those cases "me be beterrrr. you be suckkk" would be more fitting) behavior I was talking about. Thanks for quickly proving my point lol.
You have no point.

Notice how I specified cRPGs and shooters only. Consoles have a place, but not in these genres. Keep crying about no modules on console, but there's no point of having them when you and 5 others are the only ones asking for it. 99.9% of console players wouldn't spend a second on them.

Your entire system only exists because of FIFA/2K/COD players & families who use it as a Netflix machine (and maybe co-op games).

Talking as if I never used consoles. But it was for the above, when I had roommates at university to get drunk/high with and play shit like that.

In my experience, consoles are a huge roadblock for normies trying to experience quality RPGs. I'll encounter someone who seems genuinely interested in delving past the surface, maybe he's played Wasteland 3 and DOS 2, but you can't recommend anything interesting like Might and Magic or Fallout or Wizardry because he only has PS5 and XBox One. It's all well and good that the big tentpole CRPGs get released on consoles nowadays, but that ignores things like Underrail and Grimoire that are still PC-exclusive, and it ignores the vast back catalogue of incredible games going back to the 80s. Games like Pool of Radiance and Wizardry 7 actually were released on consoles, but unless you still have your NES or PSX, you'd still need a PC to emulate them today.
Even taking Dragon Age as an example (a more "casual" RPG thats a nice starting point for people new to the genre). DA:O is not a good experience on console, especially with the cap on how many spells/abilities you can have binded.

Then jump to DA:I and you can tell with the menus and cap on binder abilities how much that catered towards console players (and is an inferior game in every way to DA:O apart from graphics).

0sacred

poop retainer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
I'll just assume the reason young gamers can't into good old games is the flipside to why I (and other old farts) can't into most of the trash released nowadays.

And that definitely has to do with having taste and not being retarded.

edit: now you have to see, it's not like young gamers are old gamers dumbed down. They are literally a different breed, a different demographic. Whenever I get into touch with young gamers who are into what I consider shit games, guess what, you can't have an interesting conversation with them either. Plus they might just be people you'd rather not invite into your own home.

HammyTheFat

Scholar
People play DOS 2 on a console?

I feel like attempting to do that would make me want to self-terminate.

Darkwind

Liturgist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
I'll just assume the reason young gamers can't into good old games is the flipside to why I (and other old farts) can't into most of the trash released nowadays.

And that definitely has to do with having taste and not being retarded.

edit: now you have to see, it's not like young gamers are old gamers dumbed down. They are literally a different breed, a different demographic. Whenever I get into touch with young gamers who are into what I consider shit games, guess what, you can't have an interesting conversation with them either. Plus they might just be people you'd rather not invite into your own home.

This is sort of the crux of the matter. IQs have dropped precipitously in the last 2 decades. TikTok watching mouth breathing drooling retards are legion now. They can't be arsed to figure out how to install a game and if it doesn't work on a phone why even use it? Laptops are for old people and desktops are something you look at in a museum next to CD players and VHS recorders.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Most youngens are deeply insecure and silence and being alone is like torture to them. So they huddle together online in groups that do or play things. It doesn't even have to be good, just something to feel like they are with people, even if it's through the internet. I see it so often, people in various online games I play that aren't even there to play.

I think people like that hate the solitude of a single player RPG. They can't ask questions to anyone, can't troll anyone, talk in memes, etc. It is just them in silence, alone with the game, and it is no substitute for the constant human virtual interaction they are used to. They also have trouble figuring things out because they got a trophy for everything so anything with a challenge is seen as toxic and needs to be banned. They also are desperate to fit in with everyone, and scared to try things for themselves. I can imagine some people playing through the classics with a walkthrough, even that probably feels like you are with people, especially if they leave comments on gamefaqs or something.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom